The Student Room Group

Work experience-people applying for children's nursing.

Just wondering what type of experience people who are applying for children's nursing have. I have two children, I have worked as an office manager so have manegerial skills and I volunteer at alder hey children's hospital. I'm worried this isn't enough to get me an interview as I know how competitive children's nursing is.
I wouldn't worry that sounds like plenty of experience to me! I'm 22 and have only recently started working as a domicillary carer. Other than that I don't have much professional practice, only teaching children how to ride horses and helping foster children. So far I've received 3 interviews! Hope this helps
Reply 2
Original post by Laugraham
Just wondering what type of experience people who are applying for children's nursing have. I have two children, I have worked as an office manager so have manegerial skills and I volunteer at alder hey children's hospital. I'm worried this isn't enough to get me an interview as I know how competitive children's nursing is.

2-8 weeks is the norm from what I know
Reply 3
I'm 31 and I have worked as a playworker in an after school club for 2 years followed by managing an after school club for 2 years - Whilst doing these jobs I studied and gained level 2 & 3 NVQs. I have a 7 year old of my own and I have done paediatric and regular first aid courses, I have also volunteered at Rainbow Guides & for a youth club on a summer program offering free activities to disadvantaged kids. Since then I have worked as a receptionist and at the moment I work in a CAD department in an office but now feel that I am in a position to go back to full time study and really hope that my grades and experience will count as enough towards a place.

Your experience sounds good and I really think that as long as you can link and relate your experiences to paediatric nursing and how you can transfer the skills you have learnt along the way that you will stand a good chance at getting an interview, where you can further show them the passion and relevant qualities that you have.

I have only applied to 1 university as I'm a single parent and don't want to move away from my family...who I will be relying on heavily for childcare if I do manage to gain a place on the course.

Where have you applied to? I applied to Southampton 3 weeks ago and am still waiting to hear back, I'm constantly checking Track & my e-mail...it's driving me nuts!

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by allym123
I'm 31 and I have worked as a playworker in an after school club for 2 years followed by managing an after school club for 2 years - Whilst doing these jobs I studied and gained level 2 & 3 NVQs. I have a 7 year old of my own and I have done paediatric and regular first aid courses, I have also volunteered at Rainbow Guides & for a youth club on a summer program offering free activities to disadvantaged kids. Since then I have worked as a receptionist and at the moment I work in a CAD department in an office but now feel that I am in a position to go back to full time study and really hope that my grades and experience will count as enough towards a place.

Your experience sounds good and I really think that as long as you can link and relate your experiences to paediatric nursing and how you can transfer the skills you have learnt along the way that you will stand a good chance at getting an interview, where you can further show them the passion and relevant qualities that you have.

I have only applied to 1 university as I'm a single parent and don't want to move away from my family...who I will be relying on heavily for childcare if I do manage to gain a place on the course.

Where have you applied to? I applied to Southampton 3 weeks ago and am still waiting to hear back, I'm constantly checking Track & my e-mail...it's driving me nuts!

Good luck! :smile:

Ooo you have a lot of experience with children and other jobs you can relate skills learnt to nursing. I'm sure you will get an interview from your chosen uni. I've applied to John moores, edge hill, Manchester, Chester and Salford. My application was sent last Wednesday and I've heard nothing, I've give up on checking UCAS every day lol x
Hi everyone!
I'm applying for Children's Nursing at Bucks New, Hull, LSBU, Hertfordshire and Anglia Ruskin. I have experience of working with children through a theatre school I voluntary taught at for about 4 months primarily. I have also been a mentor for a student at my sixth form for 3 years and I have been working with people over all years as a student ambassador for two. I finally have an autistic little brother and a sister with chronic medical conditions. Not relevant to children, I completed a week of work experience at a hospital, following a nurse and healthcare workers.

Do you think my experience is enough? I sent my application off on the 26th November but I've only had one response from Bucks New for a selection day.
Reply 6
Original post by HollyAndrews
Hi everyone!
I'm applying for Children's Nursing at Bucks New, Hull, LSBU, Hertfordshire and Anglia Ruskin. I have experience of working with children through a theatre school I voluntary taught at for about 4 months primarily. I have also been a mentor for a student at my sixth form for 3 years and I have been working with people over all years as a student ambassador for two. I finally have an autistic little brother and a sister with chronic medical conditions. Not relevant to children, I completed a week of work experience at a hospital, following a nurse and healthcare workers.

Do you think my experience is enough? I sent my application off on the 26th November but I've only had one response from Bucks New for a selection day.

Sounds like you have a lot of experience around children in some in a hospital eviroment so I would say yeah. I sent mine off about 3 weeks ago and still haven't heard from any yet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending