The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Mathematics C1/C2 - 18th/25th May 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by stressed16
One of our teachers suggested we learnt the proof to the quadratic formula too?

if they want the proof for it, they'll probably guide you through it anyways. You should be able to complete the square and so if they say, by completing the square, show that the solutions to ax^2+bx+c=0 can be given by x=(quadratic formula), then you should be able to get to there anyways. It's not something you need to worry about 'learning', I don't think
Reply 381
Original post by kingaaran
if they want the proof for it, they'll probably guide you through it anyways. You should be able to complete the square and so if they say, by completing the square, show that the solutions to ax^2+bx+c=0 can be given by x=(quadratic formula), then you should be able to get to there anyways. It's not something you need to worry about 'learning', I don't think

100% agree
Reply 382
I'm sure we've all gone through every topic with quite a bit of detail, but can anyone think of anything that might catch us out? If you do, share it here so we can all benefit from it. I'm struggling to find what I should revise as I think I already know everything that could crop up in these two exams.
Original post by Tom__
I'm sure we've all gone through every topic with quite a bit of detail, but can anyone think of anything that might catch us out? If you do, share it here so we can all benefit from it. I'm struggling to find what I should revise as I think I already know everything that could crop up in these two exams.

A question from a few years ago was 'Prove that C and L do not intersect' and you need to use b^2 - 4ac to do that. It caught loads of people out last time because that wasn't clear.
Reply 384
Original post by neil20143
A question from a few years ago was 'Prove that C and L do not intersect' and you need to use b^2 - 4ac to do that. It caught loads of people out last time because that wasn't clear.

Ah yeah, I've seen that one. That's a good one.
Original post by SeanFM
That is pretty good on the face of it.

But you need to do more analysis. Did you skip out a whole question? Did you lose all your marks to errors that you would have found if you double checked? Are most of the marks you lost coming from the final parts of a question? etc.

To be honest it depends on what you are aiming for. Maybe 64 is a bit low if you are aiming for an A because...

1. You may have given yourself extra marks. (Just cause you get the answer right doesn't mean you pick up all method marks).

2. You are in the comfort of your own home without any pressure of invigilators walking around you xD

I am aiming for an A in C1, I achieve above 95% but I like to keep it that way so I can guarantee at least 85% in the real thing.
Just doing all the gold papers and currently getting 60 most of the time not sure what to make of that

Posted from TSR Mobile
With question 6, why is x=0 not a solution?? Screen Shot 2016-05-15 at 11.57.43.jpg
Original post by mahmzo
To be honest it depends on what you are aiming for. Maybe 64 is a bit low if you are aiming for an A because...

1. You may have given yourself extra marks. (Just cause you get the answer right doesn't mean you pick up all method marks).

2. You are in the comfort of your own home without any pressure of invigilators walking around you xD

I am aiming for an A in C1, I achieve above 95% but I like to keep it that way so I can guarantee at least 85% in the real thing.

1. True, but you need to mark yourself properly and not just give yourself the marks if you've got the right answer :tongue:

2. It is quite a bit harder in the exam :tongue:

If you're getting 95%+ in past papers then it shows that there isn't some kind of gap or something in particular that needs serious work on (apart from maybe exam technique or just getting used to more difficult parts of questions.

If you're getting around 60 then there is definitely something that you can improve, even if you're aiming for an A.

Original post by Tom__

Have you treid solomon papers? :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Saywhatyoumean
With question 6, why is x=0 not a solution?? Screen Shot 2016-05-15 at 11.57.43.jpg

Try putting in f(x) and you should see why. :wink:
Original post by Saywhatyoumean

cos 8x^-1/2 means that u get a fraction with 8 as the numerator and root x as the denominator, and if u sub in x=0 then u have a fraction with 0 on the bottom
Definatly predicting some more y=2^x like last years paper, these come up on some Solomon papers just incase you need to revise them. I'm awful at them lol
Reply 392
Original post by SeanFM

Have you treid solomon papers? :tongue:

Yes.
Original post by SeanFM
Argh, let me fix that - that's not quite right.

Did you do Physics by any chance? :tongue:
Sorry, I deleted my original post and made the question more challenging.

Original post by Tom__
Yes.

:hmmmm: I think you'd struggle to be challenged, then.

Here's one I've just made up.

A sequence of numbers a0,a1,a2,... a_0, a_1, a_2, ... is given by an+1=2an+64n a_{n+1} = 2a_{n} + 6 - 4n.

Given that a2=6a_2 = 6, find a1a_1 and a3a_3.

Hence find the value of i=110ai\sum_{i=1}^{10} a_{i}.

Hence, or otherwise, find the value of i=010ai\sum_{i=0}^{10} a_{i}.
Original post by mahmzo
Did you do Physics by any chance? :tongue:

Yes but it'd be a stretch to remember anything meaningful. What do you have in mind? :redface:
Original post by SeanFM
Yes but it'd be a stretch to remember anything meaningful. What do you have in mind? :redface:

I am OCR. Just how did you tackle questions? I know all the knowledge but i find it hard to apply it in situations
Original post by mahmzo
I am OCR. Just how did you tackle questions? I know all the knowledge but i find it hard to apply it in situations

Ah, I was with AQA :redface: it takes practice and figuring out what the question is asking, and then what you know and trying to apply it. There's no real easy way of getting the hang of it, it's difficult I know! Just try to picture whatever it's asking you and come to an answer that makes sense.

And with the maths bits, practice as much as you can (eg there are different SUVAT questions in M1 if you want, maybe some electricty questions on bitesize/s-cool etc).
First time popping in so hey :tongue: im resitting C1 and C2 this year, (i got a B and C in them respectively last year, not bad but want higher) just some general advice id give is general exam advice of read the questions carefully and, while making sure you don't run out of time, ensure you don't rush through and make silly mistakes (got my C1 paper back last year, got 62/75, and lost 10 marks through arithmetic errors where i just wasn't careful enough).
Yeah, done all the papers from 2008 onwards for C1, and will do the final C1 Gold paper tomorrow and start some solomon papers, hoping to finish them up tuesday (while doing some revision for my A2s haha :P)

I feel like im rambling but there is a point to this! :P , if you don't get the grade you want in C1/C2 then (unless you do really badly, like an E or U) retaking these modules isn't the end of the world, as after C3 and C4, C1 and C2 are quite easy in comparison, so try and get as high a mark as possible in C1 and C2, and if you lose substantial amounts of UMS, maybe it would be worth doing what i'm doing and resitting to make up some lost UMS, to give you a little wiggle room for C3 and C4 (which trust me, you will need that wiggle room, C3 and C4 are doable, but getting high marks, as in high 70s is near impossible unless you get lucky or are very VERY good at maths).

Good Luck everyone :smile:
Getting average 87-96% doing past papers. Mainly losing marks from crappy mental maths and stupid mistakes.

Roughly how much do I need in C2 and S1 to get a safe A grade at AS?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending