The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Mathematics C1/C2 - 18th/25th May 2016 - Official Thread

Edexcel C1/C2 - 18th/25th May 2016 - Official Thread

This can be a great place to ask for help during revision for upcoming C1 and C2 mocks and the real things. Also a place to share resources!

Exam Dates
Wednesday 18th May 2016 am - C1 - 90mins
Wednesday 25h May 2016 am - C2 - 90mins

Exam Info/Guidance
C1:
C1 is the 'easiest' module, and in the view of some teachers the most important. As it's the easiest module it's your single opportunity to get as many UMS marks as possible easily to then act as buffer in case you c*ck up any applied or core modules.

C2:
C2 is again a very important module if you are carrying onto A2 Maths. Although it is harder, it isn't as hard as the A2 modules - and so this is a time to get as many UMS marks as possible. Make sure to dedicate more revision time to this and your applied module, but don't sacrifice C1 revision. Complacency in C1 = 60/70UMS = not ideal.

Want an A* overall at A2?

Spoiler

Resources
Exam solutions videos for C2
Edexcel A-level Maths section
Various C1 resources
Various C2 resources
Daily revision sheets for C1 (complete one per day, each sheet dated)
Maths videos by Jayates
MyMaths
MrBartonMaths C1
MrBartonMaths C2
crashMATHS Videos

Past Papers/Practice Papers
Edexcel C1 Past Papers
Edexcel C2 Past Papers
OCR C1 Past Papers
OCR C2 Past Papers
OCR C1 MEI Past Papers
OCR C2 MEI Past Papers
Solomon Practice Papers
Bronze/Silver/Gold Practice Papers (Bronze = easy, Silver = intermediate, Gold = hard)
Chapter Practice Papers for C1
Chapter Practice Papers for C2
crashMATHS Practice Papers
MadAsMaths Practice Papers for C1
MadAsMaths Practice Papers for C2
Try an International A-level Past Paper (much harder)

Hopefully this thread has enough resources to help you gain top marks, and enough questions to last a lifetime. If you ever (unlikely) or think you will run out of questions, buy some really old textbooks off Amazon for 1p and you will hopefully never run out of questions.

Good Luck!
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jamestg

X

Good luck all taking this exam!
Original post by jamestg
The 2013 thread was made very early and so I thought why can't the 2016 thread be?

This can be a great place to ask for help during revision for upcoming C1 and C2 mocks and the real things. Also a place to share resources!

Exam Dates
Wednesday 18th May 2016 - C1 - 90mins
Wednesday 25h May 2016 - C2 - 90mins

Exam Info/Guidance
C1:
C1 is the 'easiest' module, and in the view of some teachers the most important. As it's the easiest module it's your single opportunity to get as many UMS marks as possible easily to then act as buffer in case you c*ck up any applied or core modules.

C2:
C2 is again a very important module if you are carrying onto A2 Maths. Although it is harder, it isn't as hard as the A2 modules - and so this is a time to get as many UMS marks as possible. Make sure to dedicate more revision time to this and your applied module, but don't sacrifice C1 revision. Complacency in C1 = 60/70UMS = not ideal.

Want an A* overall at A2?

Spoiler

Resources
Exam solutions videos for C1
Exam solutions videos for C2
Edexcel A-level Maths section
Various C1 resources
Various C2 resources
Daily revision sheets for C1 (complete one per day, each sheet dated)
Maths videos by Jayates
MyMaths
MrBartonMaths C1
MrBartonMaths C2

Past Papers/Practice Papers
Edexcel C1 Past Papers
Edexcel C2 Past Papers
OCR C1 Past Papers
OCR C2 Past Papers
OCR C1 MEI Past Papers
OCR C2 MEI Past Papers
Solomon Practice Papers
Bronze/Silver/Gold Practice Papers (Bronze = easy, Silver = intermediate, Gold = hard)
Chapter Practice Papers for C1
Chapter Practice Papers for C2

Hopefully this thread has enough resources to help you gain top marks, and enough questions to last a lifetime. If you ever (unlikely) or think you will run out of questions, buy some really old textbooks off Amazon for 1p and you will hopefully never run out of questions.

Good Luck!

Cheers for this!

I'm taking both Maths and FM in a year, so I'll have like ~12 exams to take.

Hope we all kill it this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good job with the OP.

In. :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by Princepieman
Cheers for this!

I'm taking both Maths and FM in a year, so I'll have like ~12 exams to take.

Hope we all kill it this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem! Good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by SeanFM
Good job with the OP.

In. :biggrin:

*wipes sweat from forehead*

Thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 6
Nicely made thread, OP!

If any of you are looking for a challenge, I'd suggest you try IAL C12 June 2014.
Reply 7
If any of you need help, feel free to tag me! :-)
Reply 8
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Nicely made thread, OP!

If any of you are looking for a challenge, I'd suggest you try IAL C12 June 2014.

Thanks! I've added that paper onto the first post!
Reply 9
Great idea OP! I'll be coming back here a lot haha :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
TeeEm's madasmaths.com site is excellent for practice, would stick that in the OP too.

Try papers S and T :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by shamika
TeeEm's madasmaths.com site is excellent for practice, would stick that in the OP too.

Try papers S and T :biggrin:

Thank you! Putting it in the OP now!
All papers these years are very much identical to IAL ppers in difficulty so prioritise those as mocks aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by physicsmaths
All papers these years are very much identical to IAL ppers in difficulty so prioritise those as mocks aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The 2015 paper almost made me tear up today... I thought I was good at Maths. Goodbye 90UMS for that.
Reply 14
Original post by jamestg
The 2015 paper almost made me tear up today... I thought I was good at Maths. Goodbye 90UMS for that.

IAL June 2015 or January 2015?
Reply 15
IAL June 2015 or January 2015?

Edexcel June 2015 (normal A-level)
Reply 16
Original post by jamestg
Edexcel June 2015 (normal A-level)

Ah, I've taken a look at those papers. I can say that the C2 paper was harder than the IAL paper I sat but C1 wasn't too bad. Don't lose hope, you have about 6 months or so to go! Practice the review exercises from the textbooks and then do a few relevant booklets from madasmaths. I'd then suggest doing the main Solomon papers and then finally doing the Edexcel ones again, particularly looking at the recent IAL and GCE papers. Don't worry about just one bad paper right now - making mistakes is a learning experience at this stage.
Reply 17
Ah, I've taken a look at those papers. I can say that the C2 paper was harder than the IAL paper I sat but C1 wasn't too bad. Don't lose hope, you have about 6 months or so to go! Practice the review exercises from the textbooks and then do a few relevant booklets from madasmaths. I'd then suggest doing the main Solomon papers and then finally doing the Edexcel ones again, particularly looking at the recent IAL and GCE papers. Don't worry about just one bad paper right now - making mistakes is a learning experience at this stage.

You've regained some of my faith, thank you!

My focus now C1 is over is to frequently do past papers and practice papers (as well as try and repeat my assignment/test grades in C2) - luckily there are plenty to get through, and hopefully I will eventually get to where I need to be. It's just annoying because I do really well in past papers at home, yet in formal exam conditions at school I struggle and panic - I'm really not used to this in maths so it has really knocked my confidence.

I guess if I keep practicing it'll all come together next summer!
Original post by jamestg

My focus now C1 is over is to frequently do past papers and practice papers (as well as try and repeat my assignment/test grades in C2) - luckily there are plenty to get through, and hopefully I will eventually get to where I need to be. It's just annoying because I do really well in past papers at home, yet in formal exam conditions at school I struggle and panic - I'm really not used to this in maths so it has really knocked my confidence.

Did you make mistakes? or not know how to understand the questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by jamestg

I wouldn't worry too much about C1 but if you aren't consistently hitting 90+ in C1 past papers (which I'm hoping you will be able to achieve very soon), consider changing strategies and focusing on the book again. Are you practising under faux exam conditions at home?

The phrase "you are now under exam conditions" always sends chills up my spine. :tongue:
Unrelated to maths, but have you heard of the 4-7-8 breathing technique? I find it helps calm my nerves during an exam. I'd lose my **** otherwise. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending