The Student Room Group

How did you do 20,000 words over Christmas

Got four essays to do over christmas break. Christmas break is about 4 weeks but essay titles were released. 3 weeks before term ends. How did you do it if ?
Get your head down organise your time and just do it.
I found the longest part of essay writing was the preparation - reading, researching, planning a structure. Once I actually sit down to write it often doesn't take as long as I thought to get the words down, once I've figured out a structure.
As alleycat said, put your head down and start getting organised: figure out what you need to read and research for each essay, start gathering resources, and get as much done before Christmas as possible.
Reply 3
Get all your research done in the next three weeks, then it's 5000 words a week for four weeks. If you only write for 5 days a week, that's 1000 words a day. Very doable.

If you can finish your research earlier, getting a start on writing will put you ahead of the game.

But you need to get organised and start working *now*.
I don't advise looking at it as 20k words. That makes it sound far more daunting than it probably is.

Look at each essay and work out what the minimum word count is. Set that as your target and then if you need to go over that then it's cool.

Depending on the essay you could dedicate anything from two to five days to each one depending on stuff like word count and how much material is available. I tend to google for academic journals on the essay topic while I'm messing about on my phone in bed. That means that when I'm up and about and at my computer I've got some material and all important references to look at.

But yeah you mustn't think of it as 20k words because it's not really and because you'll be writing about different topics you won't have to waffle to make up the word count. If its a 2500word essay for example you can dedicate 500 to 600 words to the introduction and conclusion and then only need a few substantial paragraphs sandwiched between that to make your total.

My course is part time so I'm done until next year. Its a bit sad but I wish I had an essay to write over crimbo lol! Seriously you can totally do this :smile:
ok havent done anything got 3 weeks and a few days left. have started but realised the mammoth task before me. any advice as to how many hours a day i have to spend on this to get it done?
Reply 6
u could organize your time
or
u could just put your whole essay in comic sans and that will confuse your teacher bc one word in the font comic sans is equivalent to 100 words and i just think that's really inspirational
Reply 7
Original post by DIN-NARYU-FARORE
ok havent done anything got 3 weeks and a few days left. have started but realised the mammoth task before me. any advice as to how many hours a day i have to spend on this to get it done?

Just get on with it and stop wasting time trying to calculate how much time you need to spend on it. Lots, is the answer. As much as you can. Get off TSR.
Reply 8

Pretty much all of them

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dude read my advice and use that.

If you build this up in your head to be more than it is you'll just end up procrastinating.
cheers mates. will update as i go along
How many essays have you finished off as of now? If you haven't then you gotta be in trouble. You have to then spend your whole Christmas and even Christmas eve on writing your essays. Now only spending as much as you can help you in completing your essays.
10,000 words 8 days but one of them is based of a founfation essay i did earlier and lectuter said i could build off that tips please!!!!
Reply 13
tips please!!!!

Get off TSR and get on with your work. Nobody here can tell you how to write an essay we know nothing about.

Dude :eyeball: You divide three weeks and a couple of days by four. You schedule in sleep and meals. For each quarter you break it down into steps that have to be completed (I made an A4 sheet of paper for each day listing what I would do that day and stuck them on my wall), and you sit down and do it.

I had 3 essays a week at undergrad. I didn't have to worry about how to do that because all I did was sleep, eat, read, write, and swap books over at the library + repeat. Pretty simple.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending