The Student Room Group

What makes you cross when driving?

Just curious as to what other people get fed up with when out and about on the roads. Here are my top five:

1. Tailgaters: Get out of my bum, what are you doing mate, seriously?! Clearly you're going to go into the back of my car if I have to suddenly brake and then you'll damage your Merc which is worth tonnes more than my little ancient Corsa! And it'll be your fault! Oh, I hate it so much.
2. People who indicate incorrectly: The ones who go right on a roundabout but are still signalling right when they come off- er how hard is it to indicate left to show that you're coming off? Winds me right up.
3. Drivers who only start to indicate when they are already turning into the new road: Yes, that's helpful! Not much point doing it as an afterthought.
4. Stalker parking: You know when you park up and there's loads of spaces and some random comes rocking up and parks right next to you at a silly angle leaving you with no room to get in/out of the car. No need for it! Stop using my car as target practice to help you into your space!
5. Stalker space takers: The lovely people that decide they want your space despite there being a million other free ones and sit waiting when you have just gotten into the car. Go away, I don't want to drive off just yet, I need to sort out my stereo, plug my phone in etc. Stop being a ridiculous bully, okaythanks! :biggrin:

Anyone care to add their driving hates? :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Buses, coaches, trucks, cyclists, pedestrians who don't know how/when to cross the road, slow drivers, learner drivers, taxi drivers.
Yes to cyclists. Not all of them of course, but I had one the other day right in the middle of the road, he had earphones in so clearly had no clue I was even there. Took me ages to get past him as there was too much traffic coming the other way! And then the queue of cars behind me getting butthurt because I had to go super slow for a while. Nothing else I could have done though!
Reply 3
People who are very reluctant to turn into/across traffic.

Like when there's a huge gap, and although there'd be space for like 3 cars to go, they just don't move and I'm stuck behind them trying to resist getting out and pushing them forward myself :banghead:
Original post by Alexion

Like when there's a huge gap, and although there'd be space for like 3 cars to go, they just don't move and I'm stuck behind them trying to resist getting out and pushing them forward myself :banghead:

Lol, yep, the ones who won't move despite there being space for six tanks, a coach and eight limousines! (My Dad)
Just about everything :lol:
Original post by bumblebee342
Just about everything :lol:

:biggrin:
So many things but my main ones are...

People not indicating to exit a roundabout. especially when they're taking the first exit but due to no indication could be taking the second, I hesitate for no needed reason.

Lorries trying to overtake lorries on the motorway.

People who are in the wrong lane in a 3+ lane roundabout/junction but instead of accepting it and just either going around again (as it's generally being in an inner lane when they actually want to exit) or taking the exit they're heading for and doing a u-turn if necessary, dangerously decide to swerve across several lanes or try and feed into an exit their lane doesn't and then causes a **** ton of congestion/beeping horns. Happens so often at one of the roundabout's near me, I don't get it as the lane markings appear quite early on, you generally are not going to be able to take the second exit going into the most inner lane ffs, if you're not sure stick to the outer lane for the most part.
Motorcyclists are the worse
Original post by kaleidosparkle
Yes to cyclists. Not all of them of course, but I had one the other day right in the middle of the road, he had earphones in so clearly had no clue I was even there. Took me ages to get past him as there was too much traffic coming the other way! And then the queue of cars behind me getting butthurt because I had to go super slow for a while. Nothing else I could have done though!

So it is you who keeps trying to overtake me on a road too narrow to overtake with little regard for my life! :biggrin:

PS - I don't wear earphones though but hate it when:
- drivers overtake me just before having to slam on their breaks for the queue / junction just ahead
- drivers try to overtake me even though I am moving as fast as the traffic - why oh why?
- drivers who overtake and then immediately turn left cutting me up
- drivers who don't quite over take but somehow forget they were overtaking me and drive at the same speed as me. If a bus or truck does this, it is pretty terrifying.

Obviously not all drivers are like this! :biggrin:
Reply 10
Middle lane drivers.

:getmecoat:
Original post by ByEeek
So it is you who keeps trying to overtake me on a road too narrow to overtake with little regard for my life! :biggrin:

PS - I don't wear earphones though but hate it when:
- drivers overtake me just before having to slam on their breaks for the queue / junction just ahead
- drivers try to overtake me even though I am moving as fast as the traffic - why oh why?
- drivers who overtake and then immediately turn left cutting me up
- drivers who don't quite over take but somehow forget they were overtaking me and drive at the same speed as me. If a bus or truck does this, it is pretty terrifying.

Obviously not all drivers are like this! :biggrin:

No, I always give cyclists as much room as I would a car. I hate it when its not safe to overtake them but the cars behind me get arsey because they're being held up.
Reply 12
Tailgaters.
I don't hate cyclists, they're just doing what the law tells them to do, but I do hate seeing a cyclist up ahead because let's be honest, they're a nightmare.

I'm pretty patient with everyone else. Everyone has different ability and confidence levels so I try and be understanding. Unless I'm late, then I hate everyone. Even you. Yes, you reading.
Cyclists. I hate you.
Original post by joey11223

That always cracks me up.

"This lorry's going 53mph but I'm going 55! Better overtake him, don't want to cause an accident."

They could probably complete a game of monopoly in the time it takes them to finish the manoeuvre.
Original post by Alexion

I'm the total opposite, my passengers don't like it when I take gaps that a lot of people wouldn't see as a gap :lol: I know my car and how well it can accelerate, all is good :biggrin:
Original post by joey11223

People not indicating to exit a roundabout. especially when they're taking the first exit but due to no indication could be taking the second, I hesitate for no needed reason.

People who are in the wrong lane in a 3+ lane roundabout/junction but instead of accepting it and just either going around again (as it's generally being in an inner lane when they actually want to exit) or taking the exit they're heading for and doing a u-turn if necessary, dangerously decide to swerve across several lanes or try and feed into an exit their lane doesn't and then causes a **** ton of congestion/beeping horns. Happens so often at one of the roundabout's near me, I don't get it as the lane markings appear quite early on, you generally are not going to be able to take the second exit going into the most inner lane ffs, if you're not sure stick to the outer lane for the most part.

Does this actually happen? That'd be hella risky :eek:
People who bully their way along the road and/or don't say thanks when you let them in ughh so annoying!
I haven't seen it often on motorways but I see it practically everyday on a busy stretch of A-road (with a ridiculously high accident rate). The worst is when they do it in the pouring rain and both lanes are just covered in spray from the lorries.

Personally - the worst people are those who overtake on 50mph roads or national speed limit roads with two lanes (just you and oncoming traffic) and two white lines (no overtaking). It's awful at night when you just see two white headlights heading right towards you around a bend at 60-70mph because they've overtaken the car in front of them. I guess it's worse in the day because you don't see them coming as easily. The horrible thing about it is that you have nowhere to go - left will put you in a ditch and right will put you in oncoming traffic so all you can do is brake and hope for the best and that there is no one close behind you! It's makes my blood boil because it's so dangerous and just shows a total disregard for other people's lives.
Tailgating, van drivers, modified cars (typically they drive roughly), driving when it's wet, windy and dark :frown:
People who drive close to the marked line in the road, like mooveeee to your side? :mad: People who push their noses in and when you let them in they don't bother say thanks by double indicating or gesturing. People that take forever at petrol stations, people that brake unnecessarily, bus drivers that think they own the road, when you let someone go in front of you but they don't get the hint so it makes it awkward cos you're waiting there wondering if they'll go or whether you should still wait, people that don't wait when the obstacle is on THEIR side of the road :dry: I know this isn't necessarily anybody's fault but drivers that follow you for about a mile...what are the odds that they're going to YOUR area then YOUR street as well :erm: On motorways when people don't let you in when you're trying to join, makes it helllaaa difficult :sad:

I'm a nice driver really, just many things annoy me :colondollar:

Latest

Trending

Trending