The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I was in the same position as you last year, I applied for Social Work and didn't get accepted, I took it as a positive and got a job in care for experience, volunteered with a charity and got some more qualifications. I've applied again this year and have some interviews comint up.
Am very sorry to hear that. Maybe you should call the uni and ask why. You can still apply to other universities, is not the end of the world.
Original post by CharlotteSt
Have you had any more feedback on your interviews? Don't give up hope yet you still have one left! Where is it for?

One said they think I would be better for the social and community development course rather than the social work and that the social and community development course still allows me to become a social worker. Portsmouth gave me the child and youth studies course and said I don't have a lot of experience and that I don't have enough knowledge of the role of a social worker. Thank you, I had it yesterday for Anglia Ruskin
Original post by ALICIA0895
I was in the same position as you last year, I applied for Social Work and didn't get accepted, I took it as a positive and got a job in care for experience, volunteered with a charity and got some more qualifications. I've applied again this year and have some interviews coming up.

hey which qualifications did you take up? and where did you apply too?
Original post by princessmaroon
I have been invited to two Social work undergraduate course interviews however I have no experience. Although they say you do not need experience, it definitely puts you at an advantage. I'm a bit panicky as I know they're going to ask me about my experience and I literally have none. One of the interviews is a uni I applied to that require higher grades than I am predicted and I feel like not having any work experience will really negatively affect my application.
Any advice?

Hi hun x x There will be something on your application that the Uni finds valuable. Find out what that is and build on it. There is absolutely no way that you would have got an interview with none of the requirements. Life experience is more valuable than academic qualifications in many instances (or so i have found). Talk about things which you have learned from....what you learned and what you would have done differently (reflection)
Talk about things that haven't quite gone to plan and what you learned from it to make the changes so that next time you can get a better outcome etc. I don't know what your personal statement says so i cannot be more specific but do PM me if you want a chat or more advice xx OH and read some books before your interview (HORNER) and what is social work books etc. Keep up with current affairs relating to social work. Hope this helps xx
Princess, I think you were at my ARU interview on Wed, we were in the same group task together?

Have you heard back yet?
Original post by Parkerpenny
Hi hun x x There will be something on your application that the Uni finds valuable. Find out what that is and build on it. There is absolutely no way that you would have got an interview with none of the requirements. Life experience is more valuable than academic qualifications in many instances (or so i have found). Talk about things which you have learned from....what you learned and what you would have done differently (reflection)
Talk about things that haven't quite gone to plan and what you learned from it to make the changes so that next time you can get a better outcome etc. I don't know what your personal statement says so i cannot be more specific but do PM me if you want a chat or more advice xx OH and read some books before your interview (HORNER) and what is social work books etc. Keep up with current affairs relating to social work. Hope this helps xx

Thank you for responding, really appreciate! At interviews I've been talking about the little experience I had in year 11 when I did btec level 2 health and social care and worked with children in the younger years so I guess that's experience. But thank you again, I also talk about articles I find on the community care website, really helpful! Can you give an example of how you talked about reflection? thanks x
Original post by Megan0912
Princess, I think you were at my ARU interview on Wed, we were in the same group task together?

Have you heard back yet?

Hey Megan, Yeah we were,I got an offer yesterday evening. So excited, have you heard from them?
Hey Megan, Yeah we were,I got an offer yesterday evening. So excited, have you heard from them?

Congrats! I received a offer also! What were you conditions?

Was beyond surprised as it was my first interview and felt like I did really badly! But I am so happy, I really liked it there , felt very welcoming!
Original post by Megan0912
Congrats! I received a offer also! What were you conditions?

Was beyond surprised as it was my first interview and felt like I did really badly! But I am so happy, I really liked it there , felt very welcoming!

Ah congrats to you too! Mine was a conditional offer. Same I was dreading the UCAS email lool.
Ah congrats to you too! Mine was a conditional offer. Same I was dreading the UCAS email lool.

Me also! May see you around if we both end up going there :-)
Reply 31
Congratulations princessmaroon and Megan0912 on getting a place at ARU. I have applied late for the course and my interview is tomorrow. I am dreading it. I was excited and now panicking! Have you got any tips? What was the question on the written test and what sort of questions did they ask you at the interview? Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 32
I'll advise that you understand what social work is ,the qualities of a social workers,be ready for questions on whether you have had a stressful situation and how you deal with it,also why do you want to be a social worker and lastly what are the current issue's in Social Work.
Reply 33
Hiya, I went to the UWE interview day for social work on 23rd march. Still waiting to hear back from them, I really hope I got in! It's my first choice! Have you heard anything back fom them yet?? How long does it take for them to give you an offer if you are successful after the interview day??
-Habiba.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 34
I basically have no offers. I've had two rejections and two offers for courses that I didn't apply for (Social & Community Development and Childhood and youth studies). I have my last interview tomorrow but I'm having 'what's the point?' thoughts. I really had my eyes set on social work and I think it's due to my lack of experience. Really don't know what to do.

Seriously, don't worry about it. I got invited to 5 interviews for Social Work and got rejected by 2 uni's. I was really upset about it, and i doubted myself if i would even get into any university. For my 3rd interview, i had no hope that i was going to get in. However, after 5 days i got an offer and it made me really relieved. Don't worry about it. Im sure you will get in.
Im a third year social work student due to qualify in July and I had no previous experience good luck!
Hi

I'm presently year one at Wolverhampton as a mature student . My experience comes from community development.

I would look into your own personal life and look for transferable skills or experience. They are looking at you, your suitability to become a social worker as at uni they are constantly looking at your suitability for practice. They must think your suitable due to gainig an interview so i wouldn't worry about not have vast amounts of experience.

If you want to know anymore let me know

Matt
Since this thread is now 4 years old I think OP will have got the advice they need now.

Thread closed.

Latest