The Student Room Group

I'm not sure if i can cope doing 4 years of uni

I'm having problems. I'm studying a Foundation Year in being a **** in uni and i just can't continue, with me having depression and not having close friends is giving me a breakdown.

I failed my BTEC course badly because i had a huge feud with my tutors in college, they purposely (in their attempt) not give me the certificate earlier so that i couldn't go uni. Luckily it backfired and one of the best top 50 university accepted me but it was onto a FOUNDATION YEAR :frown:

And the foundation year is the university first attempt of establishing it and so far it has been atrocious. Nothing has been going right. Basically it two modules of first year and two modules of foundation year and it just drives me to depression. To make things worse, I WILL BE A FIRST YEAR AGAIN, WHILST PEOPLE LIKE MY FLATMATES WILL MOVE TO SECOND YEAR.

I'm 20 and im already an old man. I wanted to be Teacher but i don't fancy doing FIVE years if i was going to do a PGCE.

Guys i'm pissed off, jealous of my flatmates, friendzoned, pissed off about how **** university has been for the past two months. Is it time for me to drop out, or to transfer to another uni after this foundation year?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I'm having problems. I'm studying a Foundation Year in being a **** in uni and i just can't continue, with me having depression and not having close friends is giving me a breakdown.

I failed my BTEC course badly because i had a huge feud with my tutors in college, they purposely (in their attempt) not give me the certificate earlier so that i couldn't go uni. Luckily it backfired and one of the best top 50 university accepted me but it was onto a FOUNDATION YEAR :frown:

And the foundation year is the university first attempt of establishing it and so far it has been atrocious. Nothing has been going right. Basically it two modules of first year and two modules of foundation year and it just drives me to depression. To make things worse, I WILL BE A FIRST YEAR AGAIN, WHILST PEOPLE LIKE MY FLATMATES WILL MOVE TO SECOND YEAR.

I'm 20 and im already an old man. I wanted to be Teacher but i don't fancy doing FIVE years if i was going to do a PGCE.

Guys i'm pissed off, jealous of my flatmates, friendzoned, pissed off about how **** university has been for the past two months. Is it time for me to drop out, or to transfer to another uni after this foundation year?

It's time for you to man up and stop comparing yourself to others. You haven't been at uni that long. I'm not doing a foundation year but I was feeling miserable and wanted to leave, but I'm sticking it out because we've literally only just started.

What course are you doing? Where is it going to lead to? If your concerns are mainly about the course and a change in career choice, your best bet would be to drop out. It's no good being miserable and hating your course. Worth bearing in mind that regardless of whether you were to drop out or continue, you'd still be a first year in 2016 and as you said that your uni is a good one, would it be wise to transfer elsewhere?
Reply 2

Why don't you do something else? You don't have to have a university degree to get on in life. You don't have to compare yourself to your current flat mates either.
Reply 3

dont drop out , if you dont have a plan about what you will do next , and your flatmates will go to the second year while your doing the first year but remember , people stay at uni for different years , your flatmates may pick to do a masters or Phd while you finish uni in 4 years, so they might stay longer.Its better to take small steps to whatever you want to acheive so it may be better to do the foundation course .You need to deal with the depression by any means e.g meditation , and u need to find out why u feel depressed......its important
transfer to another uni if you really think its really bad
Reply 4
Original post by cherryred90s
It's time for you to man up and stop comparing yourself to others. You haven't been at uni that long. I'm not doing a foundation year but I was feeling miserable and wanted to leave, but I'm sticking it out because we've literally only just started.

What course are you doing? Where is it going to lead to? If your concerns are mainly about the course and a change in career choice, your best bet would be to drop out. It's no good being miserable and hating your course. Worth bearing in mind that regardless of whether you were to drop out or continue, you'd still be a first year in 2016 and as you said that your uni is a good one, would it be wise to transfer elsewhere?

It wouldn't be wise for me to transfer elsewhere because i have been to four colleges between 2011-2015 to get where i am today. But i'm tempted at taking a uni which is does an 2 year accelerated degree in the whole of the uk that is doing my subject but it is difficult to get in and i'm not sure with a poor grades and a foundation year could back it up.

My concern is that i'm a very jealous person. As the years go by, i will be getting pissed off by people graudating before me (as i went to uni late), especially this 2015 cohort when they will graduate in 2018 and im graduating in 2019.

What year are you in uni?
Reply 5
Original post by Howard
Why don't you do something else? You don't have to have a university degree to get on in life. You don't have to compare yourself to your current flat mates either.

My flatmates are popular in uni, when they realised i was an introvert and a fake, they avoid me in the kitchen at all course.

I need a degree, i have experienced working in dead end jobs (some leading me to almost killing myself). Uni is better and i don't get talk to my family for weeks which is great.
It wouldn't be wise for me to transfer elsewhere because i have been to four colleges between 2011-2015 to get where i am today. But i'm tempted at taking a uni which is does an 2 year accelerated degree in the whole of the uk that is doing my subject but it is difficult to get in and i'm not sure with a poor grades and a foundation year could back it up.

My concern is that i'm a very jealous person. As the years go by, i will be getting pissed off by people graudating before me (as i went to uni late), especially this 2015 cohort when they will graduate in 2018 and im graduating in 2019.

What year are you in uni?

Can't you query about the 2year accelerated course whilst you're on this foundation year? Worth a shot and if you dont get in, you still have this course you're on now. I don't think you should drop out without a definite plan.

I'm not that much different to you. I took a gap year and I'll be turning 20 in two weeks. I was worried that I would be older than everyone else, but it's not that bad. I want to do a year abroad during my course so if it's any consolation, I too would be graduating in 2019. Big whoop. Nobody cares about this but you, it's your insecurity. You'll be a couple years older than some of your course mates. You'll graduate a year later..So what! Cheer up dude, you're worrying about things that really don't matter. I'm in first year btw

I'm also a jealous person, we are who we are lol:smile:

Yikes, you need to re-adjust your perception of what old is! I'm going to turn 40 before my first year at uni is done (late starter) - clearly I'm a lot older than most of my fellow students, but I certainly don't consider myself an old man.

I'm going to be starting a new career in my 40s, which these days isn't that unusual. So, for you, being 20? You've got your whole life ahead of you. Truly. You've got time so make mistakes and still get your life on track while you're still young. Make the most of your opportunities. What does it matter if you don't start your career until you're in your mid to late 20s? Far better that then you chuck it all in now, end up in a job that you don't like, and you're still there when you're in your 30s or even your 40s, regretting that you didn't make the most of your opportunities when you had them.
1) Take a deep breathe.
I know that this is stressful and frustrating, I'm in my 1st year on a foundation course as well. Right now most people are talking about who they're going to live with - like hello, you've only known each other 2 months.

2) College
They screwed you over - there's no easy way to put it. But you can learn from this, learn and move on. While you cannot change what has happened you can change your future. You can become that teacher who every child talks about because your so good at explaining things and are a great at what you do.

3) Friends
We've been at uni for roughly 2 months, so don't worry about not having made any close friends. I meet someone new nearly everyday, its hard not to. You have 4 years to make very close friends so just be yourself and let your personality shine through.

3) Flatmates
It's OK to be jealous of your flatmates, on the outside they appear to have no problems and their uni life seems to be running pretty smoothly - or is it? We often hide our fears and concerns to not burden others. Your right, its not fair that you're going to be a first year again and they're going to be moving into their second year, but the question is what are you going to do about it? Use this extra year to get as much experience as possible, you want to be a teacher? Then you need to search for local schools in the area and send them an email/letter asking if you can help out or observe lessons a couple of times a week.

4) Get help
It's easy to think you have to face the world alone, but it's a big world and there are a lot of people in it. If you are struggling to cope or are feeling a bit down, your friends and family will always be a phone call or drive away. You can also speak to student services and your university tutors. Do you have course reps? Give the uni feedback on the foundation course, its the only way it will get better

5) Your future
Remember this is your future, you make the decisions. Dropping out isn't going to help you become a teacher, if you feel you need to transfer then do it - it could be the fresh start you need. Or you could stick to it and take it one day at a time, let yourself be surprised by all the opportunities surrounding you. 20 isn't old, I am friends with a 32 year old on my course.

Hope this helps you to make a decision:smile:
OP, 20 years old doesn't make you an old man. The guy above you is right. It is far more common to graduate at an older age these days.

Also, quite frankly WHO CARES if your flatmates are one year ahead of you? Does it really matter and does that mean you'll always be behind in life? The answer is no.

You may be in 1st and them 2nd but that doesn't show anything. What matters is what you do with your choices, experiences and qualifications and if it'll make you feel happy.

Stop focusing on the smaller issues and focus on what you want.
Original post by cherryred90s
Can't you query about the 2year accelerated course whilst you're on this foundation year? Worth a shot and if you dont get in, you still have this course you're on now. I don't think you should drop out without a definite plan.

I'm not that much different to you. I took a gap year and I'll be turning 20 in two weeks. I was worried that I would be older than everyone else, but it's not that bad. I want to do a year abroad during my course so if it's any consolation, I too would be graduating in 2019. Big whoop. Nobody cares about this but you, it's your insecurity. You'll be a couple years older than some of your course mates. You'll graduate a year later..So what! Cheer up dude, you're worrying about things that really don't matter. I'm in first year btw

I'm also a jealous person, we are who we are lol:smile:

I could query but then i would have consult with my parents and other ****.

I'm doing my best, i only went to uni as an escape from my family
Original post by doctor_2_be
Hope this helps you to make a decision:smile:

Do you like your foundation year? My flatmates have decided they will leave by themselves with one saying he'll live 'with the lads'. They haven't spoken to me properly like in a month so i'm living in a studio flat in a bid to ease the depression.

Future looks bleak either way and if you count friendzoning as friend then yeah im coping well (LOL)
I could query but then i would have consult with my parents and other ****.

I'm doing my best, i only went to uni as an escape from my family

Did you do an Access course last year? Did you drop out?
Did you do an Access course last year? Did you drop out?

No, it was BTEC.

Then before that i dropped out on some Course
No, it was BTEC.

Then before that i dropped out on some Course

I had this nagging sense that I knew who you were (as in a user name you may have previously posted under). Maybe you're aren't that person then. It's just that the kind of things you're saying sound so similar to what this person was saying a few months ago.
foundation year in art & design?
Do you like your foundation year? My flatmates have decided they will leave by themselves with one saying he'll live 'with the lads'. They haven't spoken to me properly like in a month so i'm living in a studio flat in a bid to ease the depression.

Future looks bleak either way and if you count friendzoning as friend then yeah im coping well (LOL)

The first couple of weeks i was a bit bitter about it as I had initially applied for a 4 year ( with masters) but didn't do well during my A-levels. However, I have made friends with people on my course - some of which are doing the the 3 year course. If i get above 60% overall i can fast track to the 2nd year of my course. You'd be surprised by the number of people who don't get along with their flatmates. They're are a couple of mine who I simply cannot stand because of their bitchy nature. I'm not even going to think about who i'm going to live with next year until after Christmas.

I strongly advice you to talk to student services and your family. Talk to different people on your course - you have the whole of your time at uni to become good friends with them.
Maybe even having a chat with your flatmates and tell them how you feel - it may help
Original post by SAhm95
foundation year in art & design?

Foundation year in Media but it was just a way to actually get into another degree for next year
Reply 18
My flatmates are popular in uni, when they realised i was an introvert and a fake, they avoid me in the kitchen at all course.

I need a degree, i have experienced working in dead end jobs (some leading me to almost killing myself). Uni is better and i don't get talk to my family for weeks which is great.

Not having a degree doesn't mean you have to have a dead end job.
Reply 19
Foundation year in Media but it was just a way to actually get into another degree for next year

You really sound directionless; literally just jumping on the "must have a degree" bandwagon because you can't think of anything else to do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending