The Student Room Group

Got rejected from my number 1 uni, any advice for coping?

I just got rejected from Surrey uni (mechanical engineering with foundation year). I don't meet entry requirements although I checked in early November and qualified. The entire reason I chose a foundation year was because I don't do physics for my A levels, and all I remember it saying was BBC or something like that and for me to get a B in mathematics, no requirement for physics. Now it changed to me needing a C in maths, and either physics or chemistry, both of which I don't do.
I do have one other path forwards but it would be quite hard for me to achieve, and I feel quite lost and demoralised right now. Does anyone have advice for me to cope?
I’ve recently been rejected to my dream uni also. I would highly recommend just studying and hoping to make clearing tbh. Just put all your energy on revision. All the best
I think sometimes it is about weighing up how you wish to proceed. You could always take Physics or Chemistry as an independent candidate next year, or stay on to take those A Levels as you can remain at school until 19 fully funded. It is up to you on whether you view that as an option or if you are to just pursue with a different pathway.
Reply 3
Original post by midnightAmethyst
I just got rejected from Surrey uni (mechanical engineering with foundation year). I don't meet entry requirements although I checked in early November and qualified. The entire reason I chose a foundation year was because I don't do physics for my A levels, and all I remember it saying was BBC or something like that and for me to get a B in mathematics, no requirement for physics. Now it changed to me needing a C in maths, and either physics or chemistry, both of which I don't do.
I do have one other path forwards but it would be quite hard for me to achieve, and I feel quite lost and demoralised right now. Does anyone have advice for me to cope?

I'm in more or less the same position as you.
Remember that this happens to a lot of us, we're forced to choose A-levels at 15-16 like we know what we're going to want to do in uni.
You have 4 other universities. I'm certain you will or have received at least one offer.
If your heart is really set on going to Surrey, maybe you could take a gap year and take A-level physics; four A-levels is always better than three!
From what I've heard, most foundation courses don't really do clearing, since applying for a foundation year is more than just "achieve these grades and you're in"(some universities like to do interviews and stuff) but it might depend on each university.
Also, a lot of universities understand that people take foundation years because they don't have the right subjects for the course they want to do, so I think it's extremely dumb of University of Surrey to require both maths AND physics.
Just as an example, Loughborough is a top university for engineering that has a foundation year programme for sciences and engineering, and it requires only about BBB-CCC if I recall correctly.
Just remember, you really aren't alone, I have friends that take Biology, Chemistry and History that are applying for Software Engineering.
And by the way, there are better universities than Surrey that you are able to get into :P
Stay strong, try to do the best you can in your final exams, and the results will come, I believe in you.
Original post by midnightAmethyst

Hi there!

Coping with rejection can be tough, but if you've not received other offers already, you should soon. All you can do right now is focus on your studies and get the best grades you can! Any acceptances or additional opportunities will come as a result =)

Do consider contacting the Admissions Team to clarify the point of required grades and subjects, but also keep an open mind regarding clearing. To give an example, I got accepted for a foundation year at university through clearing and, after completing that, I transferred to Surrey. It is very possible, and all you need is to start a dialogue with universities, asking questions and clarifying your thoughts.

Also remember: only a small part of the uni experience is which one you go to. What makes up most of your experience is how you spend your time there, and what opportunities you take part of.

I hope this helps!

Marko
Accounting and Finance BSc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending