The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I have put Sheavyn, Richmond then oak house. But, now i have just found out that sheavyn is completely non-smoking.
Does anyone know whether richmond is smoking or not?? I may have to change them round. and, most people seem to be putting richmond first over sheavyn. any particular reason for this??
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
It isnt going to matter about smoking, the ban comes into place before you get there.
Reply 22
Clarence
What's so special about these two?

Dunno for sure buddy'cos I'm just applying, but they're en suite for one and sheavyn has a very good RA so lots of activities, Richmond was the accom for the commonwealth games so is of a good standard... both good places to live. Plus they are relatively quiet, but still in fallowfield :biggrin:
Reply 23
I guess...

I'm up for Owens Park myself. lol.

My application went as thus...

1.Owens Park
2.Owens Park
3.Owens Park

and in the disabilty section i wrote. PLEASE PUT ME IN THE TOWER lol.
Reply 24
Lmfao mate....
I hope I get put in fallowfield, burkhardt isnt there, but its a good place so meh
Reply 25
Similar to a few others - Sheavyn, Richmond, Oak House; in that order.
Reply 26
lapsaJ
Similar to a few others - Sheavyn, Richmond, Oak House; in that order.

two Q's: why did you choose sheavyn over richmond?? and, how old are you?

ta

YORKSHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRE!!!! YEH
Reply 27
Yellowmarshmellow
Classics but hopefully switching to english lol, what did you put as your third choice?

I Put:

1) Richmond

2) Sheavyn

3) Weston (Thought it would be good to have at least one in the city campus).

Can't Wait - Manchester here I come...:biggrin:
Reply 28
khcoxo
two Q's: why did you choose sheavyn over richmond?? and, how old are you?

ta

YORKSHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRE!!!! YEH

Heard a lot of good stuff about sheavyn on here. Apparently it's quiet and a good place to study, yet it's also really close to OP an OH.

Compared to richmond, heard it's got better rooms.
Reply 29
Can someone please post a pic of each of the rooms if possible? Not sure if they're on the net already or not.

:biggrin:
Reply 30
You might wanna check the accomodation website.
Reply 31
Sheavyn House

Richmond Park

If you just pop onto the Manchester Accommodation website there's more info.. or click the links I put next to the Images and they'll take you straigh to the page for each hall!!
Okay, i know this thread is like 5 years old now, but hopefully this post will give it more "up to date" attention..
I wanna put Sheavyne as my first and i really wanna optimize my chances of getting it. If i put oak house as my third choice, am i lowering my chance of getting sheavyne, because Sheavyne is high demand and oak house has so many vacancies. I was thinking Sheavyne, woolton and oak house as my options, but i dont wanna be put straight into oak house just because i put it as one of my choices.
Original post by 4RealBlud
Okay, i know this thread is like 5 years old now, but hopefully this post will give it more "up to date" attention..
I wanna put Sheavyne as my first and i really wanna optimize my chances of getting it. If i put oak house as my third choice, am i lowering my chance of getting sheavyne, because Sheavyne is high demand and oak house has so many vacancies. I was thinking Sheavyne, woolton and oak house as my options, but i dont wanna be put straight into oak house just because i put it as one of my choices.

Honestly, no one knows how the accommodation office chooses rooms for people. You could try to email and ask them directly but I doubt you'll get much of a reply.
Reply 34
I was in Richmond for my first year in Manchester and agree with others commenting that the differences between the two are pretty minimal. I really enjoyed my time in Richmond, however did often go over to friends who lived in Sheavyn to use the pool tables there, as from memory I think they were free! I would probably pick Sheavyn over Richmond as the rooms are equally as nice but i think the amenities are slightly better (not much in it though). It is also fewer peoples first choice so I would imagine you have a better chance of getting placed there.

While I was in Richomnd, there was a lot of students who had taken gap years (me being one of them), and therefore the uni knew we had definately obtained the grades required. I would imagine this helps as if you're definately going to be attending the uni and it's your first choice accomodation they will probably place you there over someone who isn't guaranteed to be attending.

The thing to remember is that you will meet friends who live in owens park/oak house so you will not miss out on the much better parties that go on in these halls. However you will have a much nicer place to go back to bed at the end of the night, with en-suite and your own shower!

Hope this helps!
I heard there are a lot of/too many rahs and stuck up posh ppl in RP. Is this true? Also, is sheavyne the same in that respect?
Reply 36
There were a few yeah! Not as many in Sheavyn, but Richmond isn't as bad as people make out.

Like I said in my previous post, I think you get the best of both with a quieter place to live/sleep/eat etc. but still only 2 minutes walk to OP/Oak House where you will know people to have a laugh and go out with!

Trust me on this one though, the benefit of ensuite and your own shower is not to be under estimated when sharing with 7 other students! Especially the morning after a heavy night out (which was usually most nights).

I would go with 3 choices of:

1: Sheavyn
2: Richmond
3: Either OP or Oak House.
Original post by DaveDeller
There were a few yeah! Not as many in Sheavyn, but Richmond isn't as bad as people make out.

Like I said in my previous post, I think you get the best of both with a quieter place to live/sleep/eat etc. but still only 2 minutes walk to OP/Oak House where you will know people to have a laugh and go out with!

Trust me on this one though, the benefit of ensuite and your own shower is not to be under estimated when sharing with 7 other students! Especially the morning after a heavy night out (which was usually most nights).

I would go with 3 choices of:

1: Sheavyn
2: Richmond
3: Either OP or Oak House.

this is so reassuring!
What percentage would you say were ex-private school kids? 40% for both halls? I'd be gutted if I chose a 'nicer' hall which compensated for a better social life that would be on offer at Oak House; cheaper so less likelihood of these types of people.
Reply 39
Original post by sarah1345
What percentage would you say were ex-private school kids? 40% for both halls? I'd be gutted if I chose a 'nicer' hall which compensated for a better social life that would be on offer at Oak House; cheaper so less likelihood of these types of people.

I live in Sheavyn at the moment and came from a fairly average comprehensive school. 5/10 of my flatmates are ex-private school, and 3 more went to grammar, but they are the nicest, most down to earth people I've ever met. We have a great social life, pretty much the same as across the Fallowfield campus. Don't be a snob, just go for it!

Latest

Trending

Trending