The Student Room Group

Why is the Cambridge thread so much more popular than the Oxford thread?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
because Cambridge focuses more on As UMS so gives more people hope whereas Oxford focuses more on GCSE which most on here already know so wont consider it if they dont have 100 GCSE A*'s.

Also Cambridge is more sciency than Oxford its Natural Science course is awesome, and STEM rules on tsr. so...tsr is just not representative of the wider world, also I think Cambridge is gaining a better reputation in the U.K as companies like ARM Holdings are coming out of Cambridge city, as well as other technology companies which is a more and more popular area.
Original post by Nununu
because Cambridge focuses more on As UMS so gives more people hope whereas Oxford focuses more on GCSE which most on here already know so wont consider it if they dont have 100 GCSE A*'s.

Also Cambridge is more sciency than Oxford its Natural Science course is awesome, and STEM rules on tsr. so...tsr is just not representative of the wider world, also I think Cambridge is gaining a better reputation in the U.K as companies like ARM Holdings are coming out of Cambridge city, as well as other technology companies which is a more and more popular area.

As I said above, it's not just TSR but other internet group/forum populated by Cambridge and Oxford students. Cambridge ones are more active than those of oxford.
because oxford alumni go back to their snooty affluent lifestyle.
Original post by jneill
I didn't say they had high number of applicants. You said Cambridge had more applicants than Oxford. They don't.

And on TSR Cambridge doesn't have 4 to 1 more connections either. (Number of Applicant thread versions). So the roughly equal number of "connections" doesn't explain the posting difference either.

Where did I say Cambridge has more applicants?

Where did I say that was the only factor?
Cambridge accepts probably about 70-85% of applicants for interviews. Maybe lots of people who are members of TSR applied to Cambridge for that reason and the fact that they're outstanding students hahaha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jeena_hunt5476
Cambridge accepts probably about 70-85% of applicants for interviews. Maybe lots of people who are members of TSR applied to Cambridge for that reason and the fact that they're outstanding students hahaha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually is it Cambridge or Oxford that accepts 70-85% for interviews?
If I am wrong then thats embarrassing lool!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Original post by Little Toy Gun
Where did I say Cambridge has more applicants?

Where did I say that was the only factor?

Ok, I misread your applicants comment but my point still stands they have similar numbers of applicants and similar numbers of TSR connections. So those factors don't explain the difference in posting levels in the applicants threads..

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Jeena_hunt5476
Actually is it Cambridge or Oxford that accepts 70-85% for interviews?
If I am wrong then thats embarrassing lool!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cambridge interviews 80+% of applicants across all the courses. It's not a percentage how they decide how many interview, actually, but anyone who they think has 'realistic possibility of getting an offer' gets interview at Cambridge, and that's usually 80+% of applicant.
It varies a lot depending upon courses at Oxford, it seems. Some courses interview over 80% of applicants while other courses interview only around 30% or so. ......or at least that's what someone at Oxford told me while ago.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Ok, I misread your applicants comment but my point still stands they have similar numbers of applicants and similar numbers of TSR connections. So those factors don't explain the difference in posting levels in the applicants threads..

Posted from TSR Mobile

I listed six factors (seven if you include my saying there's no reason for TSR to represent the general public to begin with) and you focused on one factor and said it didn't explain everything, why?

I can list even more factors but there's no point if you're only ever going to focus on one and say it doesn't explain everything. Of course it doesn't explain everything. I listed six/seven and I still didn't say they explained 100% of the variance.
Original post by vincrows
Cambridge interviews 80+% of applicants across all the courses. It's not a percentage how they decide how many interview, actually, but anyone who they think has 'realistic possibility of getting an offer' gets interview at Cambridge, and that's usually 80+% of applicant.
It varies a lot depending upon courses at Oxford, it seems. Some courses interview over 80% of applicants while other courses interview only around 30% or so. ......or at least that's what someone at Oxford told me while ago.

Yeah the Oxford interview rate varies a lot depending on whether or not you have an admissions test. Ones that do have quite low interview rates of around 30-50%, ones that don't have higher interview rates of up to about 80%, don't think any course except courses with a very small number of applicants will interview over 80%
Original post by not you
Yeah the Oxford interview rate varies a lot depending on whether or not you have an admissions test. Ones that do have quite low interview rates of around 30-50%, ones that don't have higher interview rates of up to about 80%, don't think any course except courses with a very small number of applicants will interview over 80%

Ah is that how it works at Oxford?
At cambridge 'test' is a part of 'interviewing' process, never separate things. It'd depend on college and course, but basically candidates have either two interviews or one interview + test.
Reply 31
Just to be clear:

I think first of all you need to realise that more posts =/= more people in it.

1 person posting 100 posts can make a thread longer than 49 people posting 2 each.

Doesn't explain a 4:1 thread post ratio
Also, top poster in the current Cambridge thread has 216 posts. Top poster in the Oxford thread has more: 229

The second thing ever if there are more people in the Cambridge thread, doesn't mean there are more applicants. There are more Cambridge students and graduates on the site, and other people who have nothing to do with Cambridge can very well also go and comment because the the better visibility of the thread itself being pushed up more often than the Oxford one.

I showed in my earlier post that the number of TSR "connections" and, indeed, total applicants, are similar for Cambridge and Oxford.

The third thing is just because they wanted to apply to Cambridge and post in the Cambridge, doesn't mean they will definitely eventually apply to Cambridge. Usually the already-more populated threads will attract more people because there are more things to read and respond to, which gives the Cambridge thread another advantage.

What about people who want to apply to Oxford and don't eventually apply there. I'd imagine the numbers are similar. Especially as the overall number of applicants are similar. Feel free to show it's otherwise and also why it's relevant. It isn't.

The fourth thing is the simple fact that there are more Cambridge students and graduates here. More connections equals to more people talking about Cambridge and asking people to apply to Cambridge or at least frequent the thread.

Nope, number of connections are very similar.

The fifth thing is that TSR is very tiled towards the QS ranking, where Cambridge has been topping Oxford. They don't care much about Times or the REF.

Tiled?

If you mean tilted, then perhaps TSR is somehow pro-Cambridge (I'm not convinced it is but let's say that's true) it doesn't explain a 4:1 post difference.

The sixth thing is the fact that TSR favours stem subjects and Cambridge is seen as the better university for it. Whether this is true doesn't matter.

Still doesn't explain a 4:1 post difference. And looking at a specific, very STEM, course - i.e. Maths - the number of maths applicants for Cambridge *is* slightly higher than Oxford but not by much, and certainly not 4:1.

Cambridge maths applicants: 1,400 pa
Students accepted per year: 240

Oxford maths applicants: approx 1,000 pa
Students accepted per year: 178

There's no reason why TSR will have a population mimicking the general population. It doesn't based on political affiliation, religious affiliation, student ratio, age etc so we should this be any different? Oxbridge don't even have that many applicants to begin with, so why are those threads even popular?

That's not the question. The question is why does Cambridge have (many) more posts in its applicants threads than Oxford.

You have failed to identify a factor that adequately explains it.

Keep trying...

Spoiler

Original post by vincrows
Ah is that how it works at Oxford?
At cambridge 'test' is a part of 'interviewing' process, never separate things. It'd depend on college and course, but basically candidates have either two interviews or one interview + test.

Yeah, got a couple of friends who have to take the Cambridge TSA for their college, seems like a bit of a pain to do it just before an interview though since you might end up stressed out if you think you didn't do so well. Personally I think sitting the test before getting interview invitations is better since it's used to discriminate for interview, so if you have an interview then you're in a pool of applicants with much smaller range and distribution of high scores, so it won't have too much of an effect on your final offer decision. It also means that if you don't do well and don't receive an interview, you don't have to spend a lot of time and effort trying to prepare for the infamous oxbridge interviews only to be rejected afterwards anyway since, well, you got rejected already.
-

Original post by jneill
-

If you two really want to know why Cambridge has more posts, it's because you'll see none of this (almost) 5 posts in a row business in the Oxford thread
Reply 34
Original post by not you
If you two really want to know why Cambridge has more posts, it's because you'll see none of this (almost) 5 posts in a row business in the Oxford thread

How do you do that scrolling thing - cool...

But what even is your point? Lots of short, chaty posts?

Like these in the Oxford thread...?
Screen Shot 2015-11-29 at 23.31.39.jpg
Original post by jneill
How do you do that scrolling thing - cool...

But what even is your point? Lots of short, chaty posts?

Like these in the Oxford thread...?

I used LICEcap to make a .gif recording of my screen and then uploaded it to an image host and put that in here
And my point was we don't have one person *cough* Jordan *cough* making 5 separate posts in a row instead of putting them all in a multiquote in a single post
Reply 36
Because Cambridge is waaay cooler
Reply 37
Original post by not you
I used LICEcap to make a .gif recording of my screen and then uploaded it to an image host and put that in here
And my point was we don't have one person *cough* Jordan *cough* making 5 separate posts in a row instead of putting them all in a multiquote in a single post

Ah, yes @Jordan\ is special :smile:
Original post by jneill
Ah, yes @Jordan\ is special :smile:

LOL This thread is hilarious - what's the point exactly? :lol:

Also, @not you, if you cared to look, you would notice that those 5 posts are in fact replies to posts coming from 4 different pages on the forum, and if you have ever tried to reply to multiple posts over multiple pages you'll quickly notice that it's not possible with out a lot of copying and pasting, and time wasting an is much quicker - and more personal - to do an individual post to each person :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Doesn't explain a 4:1 thread post ratio

One extra post can lead to more than one reply. Thus having 1% more people doesn't mean there will only be 1% more posts.

Original post by jneill
Also, top poster in the current Cambridge thread has 216 posts. Top poster in the Oxford thread has more: 229

OK, so according to you:

The biggest-selling British act: The Beatles
The biggest-selling American act: Elvis Presley

The Beatles sold more than Presley thus all British acts sell more than American acts.

Original post by jneill
I showed in my earlier post that the number of TSR "connections" and, indeed, total applicants, are similar for Cambridge and Oxford.

I don't know why you have to keep going round in circles with this. I already dealt with the latter point: There's no reason to assume that TSR represents the general population, or Manchester Met will have the most applicants here. That is very clearly not a factor. I hope you will be able to read this this time.

Original post by jneill
What about people who want to apply to Oxford and don't eventually apply there. I'd imagine the numbers are similar.

If you just 'imagine' that the numbers are similar, then no factors can explain anything.

Original post by jneill
Especially as the overall number of applicants are similar.

Once again, irrelevant. Overall number of applicants clearly don't make a big difference on TSR.

Original post by jneill
Feel free to show it's otherwise and also why it's relevant. It isn't.

Anyone with half a brain would know that in life there's the factor of chance, and anyone with a tiny bit of statistical knowledge would know that any sample would not be 100% representative of the population. I'm throwing out these factors because TSR doesn't have a big enough sample size to make sure that the differences are not due to random chances or small factors like this one.

Original post by jneill
If you mean tilted, then perhaps TSR is somehow pro-Cambridge (I'm not convinced it is but let's say that's true) it doesn't explain a 4:1 post difference.

TSR is clearly pro-Cambridge, but I'm not Jesus, I can't make a blind man see.

And this alone can explain a 4:1 post difference. How can it not? It obviously just depends on how biased TSR is.

Original post by jneill
Still doesn't explain a 4:1 post difference. And looking at a specific, very STEM, course - i.e. Maths - the number of maths applicants for Cambridge *is* slightly higher than Oxford but not by much, and certainly not 4:1.

But on TSR most people seem to think Cambridge is better for the sciences (so much that they'd discredit the tables that placed Oxford above Cambridge), so what is your point?

If overall number of applicants actually matter, Manchester Metropolitan University should be slaying here.

Original post by jneill
Cambridge maths applicants: 1,400 pa
Students accepted per year: 240

Oxford maths applicants: approx 1,000 pa
Students accepted per year: 178

My god you consider this evidence?

So Cambridge has 40% more applicants and 35% more places and this is 'slightly more' than Oxford?

Maybe I can ask for a 40% raise next time and tell my boss it's just a 'slight' raise.

Original post by jneill
You have failed to identify a factor that adequately explains it.

I don't know how many times I need to say this: it's not one single factor.

It's like trying to explain why Adele's 25 is breaking all sorts of opening sales records. It's due to hype, due to her voice, due to her emotions, due to her lyrics, due to name recognition, due to 21 being very well-liked, due to the media not talking about her much, due to her reputation, due to the great reviews, due to the celebrity endorsements, due to the availability of the album, due to Thanksgiving/being close to Christmas, due to her writing her own songs, due to minimalistic production, due to effective promotions, due to her supporting everyone else, due to her personality, due to her image etc.

If you pull each and every one of these factors apart, you will be able to find an example of another artist with much poor sales than she has but does better than her in that regard. This doesn't change the possibility/fact that all of these combined made a difference.

I hope this is the last time I'm going to explain this to you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending