The Student Room Group

Insurance is unaffordably high...

So every car i put into those sites, confused.com comparethemarket even directline give me figures like 7000 or above... The lowest i got was 6000 on a nissan micra worth 40 quid on auto trader. Now i only selected thirdparty aswell. Annual milage i set to 4000 miles and still.

I passed my theory and due to take the practical in january, but i am having second thoughts about even taking the test. I am completely unmotivated about all driving due to the cost of insurance.

Do you guys think its right that im having to pay 6grand to drive a damn 1999 micra?
Original post by zeexl
So every car i put into those sites, confused.com comparethemarket even directline give me figures like 7000 or above... The lowest i got was 6000 on a nissan micra worth 40 quid on auto trader. Now i only selected thirdparty aswell. Annual milage i set to 4000 miles and still.

I passed my theory and due to take the practical in january, but i am having second thoughts about even taking the test. I am completely unmotivated about all driving due to the cost of insurance.

Do you guys think its right that im having to pay 6grand to drive a damn 1999 micra?

Sometimes with insurance companies they will charge more for insurance for an older car, I used to have a Peugeot 307, an 03 plate that cost £2500+ when i started driving last year. The car i have now is a 13 plate Ford Focus and it cost about £400-500 less in insurance. I've heard that sometimes the fact that older cars are more likely to break or that people won't be as careful with older cars and make the insurance companies increase the prices sometimes.
Reply 2
Original post by xx-Samantha-xx
Sometimes with insurance companies they will charge more for insurance for an older car, I used to have a Peugeot 307, an 03 plate that cost £2500+ when i started driving last year. The car i have now is a 13 plate Ford Focus and it cost about £400-500 less in insurance. I've heard that sometimes the fact that older cars are more likely to break or that people won't be as careful with older cars and make the insurance companies increase the prices sometimes.

I know that, but if i try with something new, i think something will break.
i tried with a mazda which was a 07 plate, and it came up with 9400...
Original post by zeexl
I know that, but if i try with something new, i think something will break.
i tried with a mazda which was a 07 plate, and it came up with 9400...

Fair enough,have you looked into the black box ones as well and Apparently moneysavingexpert have a guide for getting quotes and changing things ever so slightly unless you have already done this then i'm afraid that i don't know how to help sorry, i hope you find a more decent price soon. Sometimes postcode can be an issue as well but i assume you already know this as well.
Reply 4
Fair enough,have you looked into the black box ones as well and Apparently moneysavingexpert have a guide for getting quotes and changing things ever so slightly unless you have already done this then i'm afraid that i don't know how to help sorry, i hope you find a more decent price soon. Sometimes postcode can be an issue as well but i assume you already know this as well.

I looked into it, adding my dad to as additional driver, changing preffsion and stuff, but nothing seems to help... like, even the blackboxes are the same price.
I think i will not be driving a car.
god damn u the queen.
Original post by zeexl
I looked into it, adding my dad to as additional driver, changing preffsion and stuff, but nothing seems to help... like, even the blackboxes are the same price.
I think i will not be driving a car.
god damn u the queen.

Damn, i hope someone else on here has some better advice for you! Good luck :smile:
Reply 6
Damn, i hope someone else on here has some better advice for you! Good luck :smile:

thanks samantha, and congrats on ur 1000th post.
Reply 7
Anyone have any suggestions or ideas to why its gone up so high?
Reply 8
One of the biggest factors when it comes to insurance is the post code you put in. If you live in a particularly rough area that'll negatively impact on your quotes.
Reply 9
My problem is guys it wasnt always like this. Before passing my theory and actuslly planning to grt a car etc, i checked many cars and the average was 2k like it wouldnt even go up to 3 grand. Now its doubling the 3g if im lucky.
Original post by zeexl

Try different levels of cover. Higher levels of cover- particularly fully comp can actually work out cheaper.
Original post by Emma:-)
Try different levels of cover. Higher levels of cover- particularly fully comp can actually work out cheaper.

increase your excess and cover it with an excess insurance policy
Reply 12
Create a fake person who represents you perfectly i.e. age, occupation etc, send me those details and I will get you a cheap quote.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending