The Student Room Group

Car Insurance

Hi, I'm a new driver (had my licence for around 2 months now and am 17) and obviously I need insurance but I can only find ones that are 8k+ which are really unaffordable for me. Does anyone have any recommendations??
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 1
Original post by 888ella
Hi, I'm a new driver (had my licence for around 2 months now and am 17) and obviously I need insurance but I can only find ones that are 8k+ which are really unaffordable for me. Does anyone have any recommendations??
Shop around, use a broker, buy a cheaper to insure car.
Do not be tempted to insure in parents’ name claiming they are main driver…..that is illegal (ref. fronting).
Original post by 888ella
What car are you trying to insure?

Add a parent as a named driver.
Reply 3
Consider having a black box insurance, it might not be ideal but it could be lower than not having one.
Reply 4
rub a genie lamp and make a wish.

17 is a horrible age to even consider private transport. 8k/yr insurance + upkeep is eye watering. Throw in no job(at the moment) in the mix + immaturity at that age and bake it in the oven at 250*C for 40 mins.

The result is a well baked recipe for absolute disaster.

You'd be much better off waiting till you're 19 or 20 (that way also not a new driver so points "allowance" at 12) and then attempting to insure. Seriously. Too many ways I could see this going wrong.

If you absolutely must have a car - get insured on your parent(s) as a side driver. Note the point above; you can't be the primary driver or else that is fronting and illegal.
Original post by Anon2463
rub a genie lamp and make a wish.
17 is a horrible age to even consider private transport. 8k/yr insurance + upkeep is eye watering. Throw in no job(at the moment) in the mix + immaturity at that age and bake it in the oven at 250*C for 40 mins.
The result is a well baked recipe for absolute disaster.
You'd be much better off waiting till you're 19 or 20 (that way also not a new driver so points "allowance" at 12) and then attempting to insure. Seriously. Too many ways I could see this going wrong.
If you absolutely must have a car - get insured on your parent(s) as a side driver. Note the point above; you can't be the primary driver or else that is fronting and illegal.

You can have your own insurance and add a parent as a named driver - thats not illegal.
Reply 6
Original post by Muttley79
You can have your own insurance and add a parent as a named driver - thats not illegal.

OP mentioned 8k was "really unaffordable" . So I assume they would like something around 3/4k (still bonkers to me). Adding a parent as a named driver certainly won't half your policy price. When I added my dad on mine at 20, i got around £300 off, leaving a total of £1400.
Original post by Anon2463
OP mentioned 8k was "really unaffordable" . So I assume they would like something around 3/4k (still bonkers to me). Adding a parent as a named driver certainly won't half your policy price. When I added my dad on mine at 20, i got around £300 off, leaving a total of £1400.

That's why I asked about the car. When my son [at age 18] insured his car it did halve the cost - it was cheaper to add me [his mum] than his dad.
Original post by Amin7
Consider having a black box insurance, it might not be ideal but it could be lower than not having one.

Oh god not them. I wouldnt bother with them. Absolute dog **** they are.
Congrats on the new license! Insurance costs can be high for young drivers, but it's worth checking out telematics-based insurance options. These track your driving and could lower your rates if you drive safely. Also, see if adding yourself to a parent's policy could bring down costs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending