The Student Room Group

Which are easier - creative or academic subjects?

Personally I think it depends how you define 'easy' - things like fine art can take up so much of your time only for the outcome to be deemed as 'subjective' (which can be frustrating as it's essentially up to each individual as to whether what you've done is 'right' or not, which isn't a problem with something like Maths).

Although there's the obvious arguments for academic subjects, like the fact that they often require much more 'brainpower'...not necessarily intelligence, but certainly you have to remember a lot more stuff and have a really deep understanding of very specific things.

Thoughts?
Reply 1
I'm an artist and a programmer and I have to say that both require dedication and skill. However I partly disagree with you that creative subjects are subjective because creative subjects also take a large amount of commitment to become skilled in and on top of that you do need a deep understanding in any subject to be good at it, but I digress. I feel like creative subjects are "easier" in the sense that there is no one correct solution and ultimately it is up to the individual to decide when his/her work is complete.

But I probably didnt address everything you asked so Im open to discussion :biggrin:
Reply 2
Insecure arts student making threads about how STEM doesn't require intelligence again :lol:

Try to solve some second order partial differential equations then tell us that.
Reply 3
Original post by ubisoft
Insecure arts student making threads about how STEM doesn't require intelligence again :lol:

No need to be so touchy. Besides, I'm not an art student...I'm possibly the least creative person ever; much prefer science and languages.

'Not necessarily intelligence' is what I said. I actually said it more because 1) excelling in an academic subject rather than a creative one doesn't necessarily mean you are more intelligent; personally I believe creativity is just as valid a form of intelligence than having a science brain and 2) without that it made it sound like I was accusing art students of all being stupid. I wasn't. Some people are good at both. I made this thread because I just saw the size of my friend's A-Level sketchbook and it is something else. I could never produce it in a million years. She spends hours a day on it - but she can draw and paint while watching TV. I spend less time on my subjects, but I have to fully concentrate. So I was comparing them more in terms of school/education than in general.
I'd say that creative subjects like music or art can be a lot harder because ultimately you can only get to a point before practice doesn't help anymore. You can argue eh same for History or Maths or Chemistry as you have to be a good writer or exceptionally perspective or just understand maths and sure thats true but someone with a natural ability in maths who doesn't practice can do a lot worse then someone who practices everyday , whereas in music or art, you may practice technique everyday and still draw utter crap compared to someone who messes about and then produces a masterpiece. But it can also be strongly argued that academic subjects challenge you in that regard, you may be good at them but you have to learn to be even better whereas if you pick a creative subject, its probably in your comfort zone, so in that regard Academic subjects are a lot harder.

Too long; Didn't read it depends either way and what your criteria for challenging or easy is.
Reply 5
It depends on your personality I think.
Creative subjects are way easier.

Quick Reply

Latest