The Student Room Group

Live in my own apartment or university accommodation?

Dear all,

I am going to be a fresher at Uni next year and was wondering if I should stick to university halls for accommodation or just rent out my own apartment.

Do you think I would be missing out on anything if I rent my own apartment with a friend?

Renting my own apartment would be a lot cheaper, however, living in university accommodation might give me a better "university experience"

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!
Reply 1
Hi
I lived in halls my first year. It was a lot of fun, in many ways!!!
I then moved into a flat with 2 of my friends and am still here and now in 3rd year.
I am pleased I opted for first year in halls but I'm sure whatever route you go will be right for you.
Good luck. ❤️
Reply 2
Do you have additional money available other than Student Finance? Most people find that the SF Loans won't cover much more than a room in a shared flat or Halls - sometimes not even that, depending on your household income or uni town/city. It's very unlikely that two of you could afford to rent your own flat just with SF.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Klix88
Do you have additional money available other than Student Finance? Most people find that the SF Loans won't cover much more than a room in a shared flat or Halls - sometimes not even that, depending on your household income or uni town/city. It's very unlikely that two of you could afford to rent your own flat just with SF.

Thanks for the reply, financing it would actually not be a problem, our main concern is about the social life.
Reply 4
Original post by medahoe
Thanks for the reply, financing it would actually not be a problem, our main concern is about the social life.

I found staying in halls the first year enabled me to meet a lot of people and make friends easily. Impo I think it is easier to enjoy a good social scene that way rather than renting a flat. I didn't know anyone when I arrived at Uni so it worked well for me - not sure if your situation will be the same but I hope this helps and I wish you well. ❤️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending