The Student Room Group

Corbyn is here to stay for the long term!

Just when sceptics were doubting Corbyns survival over the last week or so the results at Oldham have gone to show that Corbyn is more popular than we thought and that Blairism is fininshed.

Oldham was a huge victory for labour showing that Corbyn is attracting more people than previous labour leaders could. Cleaning the labour party of the centrists and Blairites is going ahead with full steam. Those who betrayed labour over the airstrikes vote are the centrist class who are on their way out and know labour is not tolerating their rightist behaviour anymore. Maybe they will join the Tories or set up their own party, which we doubt will get any votes.

Britain is backing Corbyn and his revival of Labour and he is here it Stay!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Corbyn for PM.

This country would be a wonderful place if that happened. :smile:
Yeah. Long live Corbyn.

We need a conservative government next time around and Corbyn will ensure that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Corbyn is a pussy who'd hand over the sovereignty of the UK in a flash to appease muslims.

But I do want rid of the tories.

So it's a catch-22 situation.
Reply 4
So, winning a safe Labour seat proves very little. Corbyn has the advantage of being a conviction politician which comes with credibility and popularity. Thatcher pulled this off too. The problems are disunity in the party a hostile Tory press and perhaps his age. I wonder why on earth his leadership credentials didn't emerge earlier. Very interesting to see what happens..
Reply 5
It was a good result for Labour for sure and I'd be glad to see Corbyn, a genuinely decent man who doesn't deserve as much bad press as he does when there are lots of other politicians out there who are more deserving of bad press defy his critics. But it's one northern constituency out of 635, or however many there are, his real test will be in the South and Midlands and needless to say his own MPs too.
Reply 6
Oldham isn't a test, Labour were never not going to win there. They could have named a pebble as their candidate and they'd still return a majority.
Reply 7
Original post by Evening
Corbyn is a pussy who'd hand over the sovereignty of the UK in a flash to appease muslims.

But I do want rid of the tories.

So it's a catch-22 situation.

Who will you vote for then, UKIP
Reply 8
Original post by Zarek
Who will you vote for then, UKIP

Maybe.
Original post by Drewski
Oldham isn't a test, Labour were never not going to win there. They could have named a pebble as their candidate and they'd still return a majority.

The media has been trying to make people think that Corbyn is not likely to last, it's all media hype but the reality is that people love him, they want his new form of politics in Labour. The centrists and Blairites are on the way out.
Original post by Ambitious1999
The media has been trying to make people think that Corbyn is not likely to last, it's all media hype but the reality is that some
people love him, they want his new form of politics in Labour. The centrists and Blairites are on the way out.

Fixed that for you.

It's undoubted that he's got a fan base. What is frequently doubted is is that fan base big enough to overturn the majority who don't like him / his politics.

Labour is now more likely to win Labour votes. But it's also less likely to win the country.
Original post by Ambitious1999
The media has been trying to make people think that Corbyn is not likely to last, it's all media hype but the reality is that people love him, they want his new form of politics in Labour. The centrists and Blairites are on the way out.

Stop trying to tell people what they think!

The people do not love him, a very vocal group of hard core lefties like him. Even a large amount of his own party dislike him.

This crap from the extreme left about how everyone agrees with them is getting pretty tiresome.

Besides, you don't need the media to see Corbyn is a moron, he did that quite comfortably by himself!
(edited 8 years ago)
i am a conservative and I wholeheartedly support Corbyn for leader.
I want to Corbyn to stay, not sure about those 66 Labour MPs who are on the receiving end of his new kind politics.
(edited 8 years ago)
Corbyn isn't going to stay because he didn't lose a near impossible to lose seat, he is here for the long term because the Corbynistas won't let him stop being leader in that pretty much all opposition is being held to ransom with the threat of deselection.

What was learnt from the by election though is how toxic corbyn is on the doorstep. He was carted out once, and it went badly, and there was little positive to be said of him, when he was mention at all. Miliband was bad, Corbyn is even worse.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pegasus2
Stop trying to tell people what they think!

Besides, you don't need the media to see Corbyn is a moron, he did that quite comfortably by himself!

You illustrate the problem opposition to Corbyn are having. No attempt at political discussion just descend to name calling. This can back fire you know, just creating more sympathy for the person abused.

Cicero said it a long time ago ' when you have no arguments just abuse the man , himself' and I would add, lie and misquote.

There is no Labour leader the bulk of our Press would support. Considering what we now know about their morals and lying past , isn't that a good thing?
Original post by pickup
You illustrate the problem opposition to Corbyn are having. No attempt at political discussion just descend to name calling. This can back fire you know, just creating more sympathy for the person abused.

Cicero said it a long time ago ' when you have no arguments just abuse the man , himself' and I would add, lie and misquote.

There is no Labour leader the bulk of our Press would support. Considering what we now know about their morals and lying past , isn't that a good thing?

This is very rich, all I see on the internet and social media is vocal Cornyn supporters ripping into the right unopposed over and over as if they're view is the only one and everyone agrees with them. A bit like the OP in this post, actually.

People with opposition views are too afraid to speak up because as soon as they do they receive a shed load of obscene verbal abuse. Perhaps they could do with reading your quote.

I'm sorry but Corbyn really did hit force 10 on the stupid scale with some of his comments about Trident, even of he does disagree with it.
(edited 8 years ago)
If Corbyn can win a stonking majority when he has had a bad week imagine what he can do when he has a good week. His time as leader has been successful he has forced the tories to u turn on tax credits and police cuts
Original post by Gladiator12345
If Corbyn can win a stonking majority when he has had a bad week imagine what he can do when he has a good week. His time as leader has been successful he has forced the tories to u turn on tax credits and police cuts

He can have a good week?

And last I checked it was the Lib Dems in the lords 'forcing' a u turn. And if talking of 'forced' u turns what of Corbyn's back benches 'forcing' him to u turn and flip flop all the time?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pegasus2
This is very rich, all I see on the internet and social media is vocal Cornyn supporters ripping into the right unopposed over and over as if they're view is the only one and everyone agrees with them. A bit like the OP in this post, actually.

People with opposition views are too afraid to speak up because as soon as they do they receive a shed load of obscene verbal abuse. Perhaps they could do with reading your quote.

I'm sorry but Corbyn really did hit force 10 on the stupid scale with some of his comments about Trident, even of he does disagree with it.

So, if you want to attack his ideas on Trident you put forward reasons why his view is wrong; just stating it is, is not good enough.

We have almost all the Press writing against Corbyn so I'm not conscious that opposition to him is barely having a look in. Social media presumably is ordinary people expressing their views.

If they are abusive, as opposed to expressing a contrary view to the Press , then the same goes for them. You only advertise the weakness of your position when you descend to personal abuse.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending