The Student Room Group

Manchester uni or KCL?

I’m applying for maths and statistics. I don’t know whether to apply to Manchester or kcl. I really want to go to London, and I’m hoping to go into finance after I graduate so London would probably have more opportunities rather than Manchester. The university also looks a lot nicer than Manchester. But I currently live in Manchester and have done my whole life: I want to get away, but I also don’t like change that much. My family, a few friends and my boyfriend are all staying here, so it’ll be a lot easier to see them by going to Manchester. Manchester is also higher ranked than KCL in maths. But I’ve heard the accommodation at UoM is awful, and the university itself doesn’t look too nice. I’m really stuck, please help!!!
Reply 1
KCL isn't all its cracked up to be. Like most London Unis, its the supposed 'glamour' of being in London that means they get thousands of applications - not because they are 'better'. It wont improve your job changes any more than a degree from Manchester - and it sounds like you would be happier staying closer to home. There is a great deal of total nonsense on TSR etc about 'which Uni is better'. Please remember that rankings are just marketing, they dont mean you will be happier at any specific Uni.
Original post by Emma717
I’m applying for maths and statistics. I don’t know whether to apply to Manchester or kcl. I really want to go to London, and I’m hoping to go into finance after I graduate so London would probably have more opportunities rather than Manchester. The university also looks a lot nicer than Manchester. But I currently live in Manchester and have done my whole life: I want to get away, but I also don’t like change that much. My family, a few friends and my boyfriend are all staying here, so it’ll be a lot easier to see them by going to Manchester. Manchester is also higher ranked than KCL in maths. But I’ve heard the accommodation at UoM is awful, and the university itself doesn’t look too nice. I’m really stuck, please help!!!

I'm not disagreeing with the above post at all, but you sound like you might benefit long term by experiencing life away from Manchester.

Quick Reply

Latest