The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

confused??
Sunnydazzleeyes
why is ethanol used in test of starch?
what affect has plant specie got in synthesis of starch?(Ivy-thinner, darker, no hair and Pelargonium-thicker, lighter and hairy)
How do you keep temperature constant when testing for rate of starch synthesis?

:confused:

you use ethanol because the alcohol boils and dissolves most of the chlorophyll so the leaf is less green and you can see the iodine colour changes easier

i dunno bout plant species

unless you monitor the temp of room you cant keep temp perfectly the same.

do you know if it's ok to hand draw diagrams for the coursework??

xxxxx
HairsprayQueen
you use ethanol because the alcohol boils and dissolves most of the chlorophyll so the leaf is less green and you can see the iodine colour changes easier

i dunno bout plant species

unless you monitor the temp of room you cant keep temp perfectly the same.

do you know if it's ok to hand draw diagrams for the coursework??

xxxxx

type it up, make it look neater! thanks
can someone help me with plant specie now ???
??
Reply 6
I reckon the ivy will convert glucose more quickly - darker=more chloroplasts
pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Reply 8
What else do you want to know?
Reply 9
anyone know how the type of sugar affects the rate of starch synthesis? :frown:
please please help people :s-smilie:
Reply 10
I wisely chose not to do the type of sugar :p:
Reply 11
vector

haha that is very wise. but it was either that or plant species and dont know where to start with that one either :frown:
Reply 12
I thought plant species was quite easy with the photosynthesis basics tbh
vector

certainly wise
umm plant species umm yes Ivy and pero.. are quite similar and the results from pel..work was very similar
Reply 14
Type of sugar you're looking at disaccharides and monosaccharides depending on the sugars you're provided with.

Just remember that glucose is the MAIN respiratory substrate therefore will be the fastest. From there, use your knowledge to predict the rest :smile:
Reply 15
BabyGirl
Type of sugar you're looking at disaccharides and monosaccharides depending on the sugars you're provided with.

Just remember that glucose is the MAIN respiratory substrate therefore will be the fastest. From there, use your knowledge to predict the rest :smile:

thanks that helped me alot!

Thought I had it all sorted but I'm not sure how to go about measuring the rate? anyone help?
Reply 16
If you test your leaf discs for starch at regular intervals, e.g. 2-4-6 mins etc, the colour change will show at what time starch began to be produced. If you compare the colour changes to the variable, e.g. to sugar concentration, it will show at what concentration, the rate of starch synthesis was fastest.
Reply 17
im really not sure how to measure the RATE of starch synthesis. The test is ok with the iodine i just havent gt a clue with the measuring the rate!! please help!!!Cheers, Dan
Reply 18
I guess you can do relative rates...
Reply 19
relative rates of what though?

Latest

Trending

Trending