The Student Room Group

help? or AMA: 17, Studying A2, Hopeful Medic and Have just found out i'm pregnant.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
No I think you're being ridiculous actually. No one is pretending about anything, he simply stated that all those methods combined are very unlikely to cause pregnancy to occur and he is correct.

So if she is allergic to condoms and can't take the pill, she should just go an have sex anyway? What are you even trying to say. I would say if people want to avoid being in this situation they should seek suitable methods of contraception, whatever their situation.

There are mini pills and there are pills that don't contain certain ingredients that a woman may be allergic too. Honestly people need to stop being so irresponsible, there are many options out there to stop you from getting pregnant, don't act like it just happens and there is no way of controlling it -_-

No I don't think it's OP's fault per say...but I do believe it's wrong to send out the message "Oh you are just another statistic where you just happened to get pregnant even though you used contraception properly". -_- It's also dangerous to say that using all those methods of contrecetipn is "pretending". Responsible people out there, who want to engage is safe sex probably do use the correct methods to avoid pregnancy and infections etc.

I meant that if a girl is allergic to condoms OR can't take the pill, so one of the other. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

A relatively common problem is suffering from a very sensitive hormonal system, whereby any sort of hormonal contraceptive (including pills, implants, injections, etc) has many potential side-effects which can include dramatic (negative) changes to the menstrual cycle, acne, etc.

I said he was "pretending" that he was some sort of wizard who is immune to pregnancy because he forks out at least £27 every time they have sex for the morning-after pill, has magic condoms that he will never tear and has an 100% effective pill. I wasn't saying that it's a bad idea, I just meant that it's not very realistic for the majority of people.

My main problem is the fact that this is not the place to bring up contraceptives, and it's awful at how it's being used to shame an emotionally vulnerable 17 year old girl.
Reply 81
Original post by Imperion
Brutality

Realism.
Reply 82
OMG this is such an awful message to send out to todays youth!

Yes, because you totally have enough money to spend on a ****ing child. GROW UP. If you're not mature enough to understand contraception, you shouldn't be having sex. End of story.

What I meant was that it's called emergency contraception for a reason - it's not designed to be used every time you have sex if you're using other methods.
Original post by SmellyProtein
Sigh... if only you'd been taught sooner along with everyone else who believes it is not their fault.

Oh yeah it was absolutely my fault that my partner and I had nails, that we were having rough sex or just had bad batch of condom. And that the emergency pill and depo refused to work in my body. :rolleyes:

In any case what's me being taught sooner (I was but for argument's sake) gonna do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 84
The pill (combined and POP), injection, IUD, IUS alone is more 99% effective at preventing pregnancy, less than 100 women every year will get pregnant on it.
The implant is the same, and fewer than one 1000 who use, will get pregnant over three years.

I'm sorry but if you're getting pregnant even on these contraceptives alone, you're not using them properly. If you're using condoms as well, then you need to go back to basic sex ed and learn to use a condom lol. Theonlymrsholmes & smellyprotein are correct.
Original post by celloel
The most common reasons for a condom to fail are:
1 - Not storing condoms properly
2 - Not using good quality lube
3 - Condoms not put on properly
4 - Condoms not used for ALL genital contact.
The most common reasons for the pill to fail are:
1 - Forgetting to take it
2 - Not taking it in a timely fashion

So, that poster was right: user error. There is basically a zero chance of pregnancy - as near as you can possibly get - when you use contraception properly.

Zaffre, you SHOULD NOT be having sex. If you cannot afford to pay for safe condoms/contraception then do not have sex. If you cannot afford contraception then you cannot afford a baby, so don't have sex. Simple as. How unintelligent are you?

And what's the uncommon reasons for condoms?

Also what's the common reason why depo shots, IUD and implants would fail so the reasons you gave for the pill won't be applicable to those?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 86
Original post by Zaffre
I meant that if a girl is allergic to condoms OR can't take the pill, so one of the other. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

A relatively common problem is suffering from a very sensitive hormonal system, whereby any sort of hormonal contraceptive (including pills, implants, injections, etc) has many potential side-effects which can include dramatic (negative) changes to the menstrual cycle, acne, etc.

Very sensitive hormone systems can use the copper coil. No hormones involved.
Reply 87
Original post by You Love Me
Guys I've not had time to read the comments thanks for speaking I'll try to reply tomorrow.
And to all the people suggesting I speak to someone professional, I literally have no self esteem or confidence and cannot bring myself to anything like that (at the moment). I'm quite stuck and that's why I resorted to student room as I'm applying to uni.
It took me a lot of courage to build up the trust I have with the dad, I've know him since I was 6 so that's the only reason I had the confidence to do what I did with him.

I really don't think I could go on a five year course when I have a baby at home, so I don't know what to do. I'm quite edgey at the moment, I think the main thing for me to get straight is that I have to chose between family/unbearable guil , medicine or a baby. I think I've come to terms that hurting myself is probably the worst outcome, yet the easiest option but Ill need to come to sort something out soon.

I just wish it never came to this! 😥

Ever consider reading a book on economics? The first few chapters in 'A lesson in economics' talks about the outcome of public spending on buildings, with people saying it provides jobs/ aesthetic pleasure/ purpose; but never do they realise that what has just happened is a reallocation of money towards building a building; not considering what the public's money could have been spent on such as craftsmanship, services etc.

When it comes to the baby, think of it as simply a reallocation of your resources. Yes, babies are adorable and they can truly make you happy but your effort in life can be allocated elsewhere. I'm pro life but your life is important as well, I'd suggest an abortion but to do justice to the potential of life that you discontinued, you should live your life to the fullest; if you don't think you're able to do that, it might be best not to have an abortion.
Original post by Josb
Realism.

Brutalism confrimed
Reply 89
Original post by Imperion
Brutalism confrimed

Brutalism is an architectural movement. :tongue:
Reply 90
Original post by celloel
Zaffre, you SHOULD NOT be having sex. If you cannot afford to pay for safe condoms/contraception then do not have sex. If you cannot afford contraception then you cannot afford a baby, so don't have sex. Simple as. How unintelligent are you?

If you're referring to the latex-free condom issue then I clearly referring to friends of mine, and said that they are both on alternative contraception.

The price of the morning-after pill was in response to someone saying that this should be used in conjunction with the pill and condoms. I was just trying to bring up that it isn't financially viable for most people.

I have a great sex life and I'm on the implant and get free condoms, but thanks for your concern :wink:
Reply 91
Being pro-life is an instant turn-off for me. That frightens me.
Original post by Zaffre

I said he was "pretending" that he was some sort of wizard who is immune to pregnancy because he forks out at least £27 every time they have sex for the morning-after pill, has magic condoms that he will never tear and has an 100% effective pill. I wasn't saying that it's a bad idea, I just meant that it's not very realistic for the majority of people.

My main problem is the fact that this is not the place to bring up contraceptives, and it's awful at how it's being used to shame an emotionally vulnerable 17 year old girl.

Original post by Zaffre
What I meant was that it's called emergency contraception for a reason - it's not designed to be used every time you have sex if you're using other methods.

I have said all this, I have talked about side effects and I have also talked about the morning after a pill and how it's not supposed to be used regularly. I think you are not reading anything I have written.

I'm not shaming OP at all, I have even offered her some helpful advice if you look up.

I just think your backtracking on your silly argument.

Ij just think there is huge amounts of irresponsibility linked to teenage pregnancies now a days. I'm talking about girls, when I say they should know how their body works (what contraception works and what doesn't) before having sex. It's just so irresponsible not too.
Original post by Goaded
The pill (combined and POP), injection, IUD, IUS alone is more 99% effective at preventing pregnancy, less than 100 women every year will get pregnant on it.
The implant is the same, and fewer than one 1000 who use, will get pregnant over three years.

I'm sorry but if you're getting pregnant even on these contraceptives alone, you're not using them properly. If you're using condoms as well, then you need to go back to basic sex ed and learn to use a condom lol. Theonlymrsholmes & smellyprotein are correct.

Supposing one of those women from, say, the implant had a split condom due to, say, rough sex it is possible, no?

That's the point I've been trying to make for the last two hours. That yes even if it's almost impossible, it can still happen.

Original post by Goaded
Very sensitive hormone systems can use the copper coil. No hormones involved.

Doctors can make a mistake inserting it. Can also cause pregnancy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 94
lol Calm it dude.

Abortion is OP's choice, not ours. She already said she was completely against. So it's up to her.

Tbf I'm even going to lie, people don't think of the repercussions of having a child, I mean YOU ARE HAVING A CHILD! An actual human being and the word "huge responsibility" doesn't even cover it imo. It's not easy, and if you want to proceed with education, especially medicine(one of the most stressful forms of higher education) I can't imagine having a child at present could make that easier.

No but people really don't think, like so many girls from my secondary school, it's just shocking how many have gotten pregnant. They are so young! So young. So many of them were ridiculously immature and childish too.

I know... I was just responding to the previous person who commented. But I totally agree. I have nothing productive to say anyway now...so ill just :angry: in silence. :smile:
Original post by donutaud15
Supposing one of those women from, say, the implant had a split condom due to, say, rough sex it is possible, no?

That's the point I've been trying to make for the last two hours. That yes even if it's almost impossible, it can still happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

OH GOD JUST PLEASE STOP! This is KILLING my brain cells. The point we are all trying to make is, contraception is very important, and using more than one method reduces the risk of pregnancy dramatically. It can happen, but 0.1% chance that is will if you use contraception properly, but it's more likely you will not get pregnant since as far as I know there isn't any form of super sperm that can break past all the barriers of contraception.
Original post by Josb
Brutalism is an architectural movement. :tongue:

It's that time of the night bruh!
Reply 97
Original post by donutaud15

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have a 1 in 1000 chance over three years, it's possibly, yes, but defies all odds. Especially considering, even once you've stopped contraception, it takes a while to get back to a normal hormonal state which allows for pregnancy. While yes, it is possible, but it so so so so rare, especially with the implant. (You can also be on the implant AND the pill - my friend was in order to balance out her periods). The only kind of pregnancy risk you really face on the implant, is an ectopic one.

And if they make a mistake inserting it, you'd know, and you'd get it redone.

I fully understand your point, yes it can, but the odds are so so so so off.
Reply 98
I have said all this, I have talked about side effects and I have also talked about the morning after a pill and how it's not supposed to be used regularly. I think you are not reading anything I have written.

I'm not shaming OP at all, I have even offered her some helpful advice if you look up.

I just think your backtracking on your silly argument.

Ij just think there is huge amounts of irresponsibility linked to teenage pregnancies now a days. I'm talking about girls, when I say they should know how their body works (what contraception works and what doesn't) before having sex. It's just so irresponsible not too.

Where have I backtracked?

The reason most of my posts don't directly counter your argument is because they were in response to SmellyProtein, such as the part about the morning-after pill. I'm arguing the same side as you on this, but you called me out when I talked about pricing. Obviously I think it should be used when needed, but that wasn't what had been suggested. The shaming OP part was also in reference to SmellyProtein as I have seen your advice, and appreciate that it's helpful and on-topic.

And I fully agree with you that many people aren't responsible - both guys and girls. However, talking about contraceptives isn't advice to someone who is already pregnant.
Original post by Zaffre
Where have I backtracked?

The reason most of my posts don't directly counter your argument is because they were in response to SmellyProtein, such as the part about the morning-after pill. I'm arguing the same side as you on this, but you called me out when I talked about pricing. Obviously I think it should be used when needed, but that wasn't what had been suggested. The shaming OP part was also in reference to SmellyProtein as I have seen your advice, and appreciate that it's helpful and on-topic.

And I fully agree with you that many people aren't responsible - both guys and girls. However, talking about contraceptives isn't advice to someone who is already pregnant.

Fair enough, we have all gotten off topic. But your post was also off topic and it needed to be addressed, especially the pricing part which just made me want to bang my head against the wall to be completely honest with you.

Quick Reply

Latest