The Student Room Group

Get a debate in Parliament over Trump - support the petition!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I don't think many people seriously thought he would be - the pressures in favour of rich and powerful white men from the dominant superpower being able to be as publicly racist and defamatory as they like without redress are too great, even in this enlightened nation of ours. :rolleyes:

Say one racist thing he said. I'll send you 50£ via paypal.
(edited 8 years ago)
Where's the petition to ban the 70,000+ idiots who wasted their time signing this petition?
Banning people for political beliefs is silly. He's not hurting anybody. He may be a racist and fascist but we need to get over ourselves.

Freedom of speech is, by definition, the right to communicate one's opinions and ideas without fear of government retaliation or censorship. On what grounds do we ban him that don't conflict with this?

"...there ought to exist the fullest liberty of professing and discussing, as a matter of ethical conviction, any doctrine, however immoral it may be considered."
John Stuart Mill, On Liberty
(edited 8 years ago)
I do worry for the next generation (and mine) when I see these type of things even being considered. You don't like something you hear? How about you ignore it. I find a lot of things religious bigots say but I accept it as it's their right to say it.
Original post by The Arsonist
Banning people for political beliefs is silly. He's not hurting anybody. He may be a racist and fascist but we need to get over ourselves.

Freedom of speech is, by definition, the right to communicate one's opinions and ideas without fear of government retaliation or censorship. On what grounds do we ban him that don't conflict with this?

"...there ought to exist the fullest liberty of professing and discussing, as a matter of ethical conviction, any doctrine, however immoral it may be considered."
John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Nice to hear from Mr Mill, but the truth is that in the real world, there do have to be limits to free speech. One cannot shout "fire" in a crowded theatre, to misquote Wendell Holmes. Also we have to consider that under the British system, the Home Secretary can (and does) regularly exclude people we don't want on the grounds of what they say. This may not chime with a purist model of free speech, but it's the reality.

I assume none of the right wingers complaining about this petition and debate would raise a murmur if the Homi-sec excluded preachers of Jihadism? They are similar cases - Trump is clearly trying to stir up violence against minorities.
well that went as I expected

such a waste of time
Trump is clearly trying to stir up violence against minorities.

He really isn't, and no matter how many times you claim it, it won't be true.
the truth is that in the real world, there do have to be limits to free speech.

Whether we enforce restrictions on free speech should be contingent on if a third party's opinions or actions adversely to the second party follows with harm to that party. Since Trump's statements do not, we should allow it.

I assume none of the right wingers complaining about this petition and debate would raise a murmur if the Homi-sec excluded preachers of Jihadism? They are similar cases - Trump is clearly trying to stir up violence against minorities.

But he isn't!!

You're infuriating... :lol:

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Good bloke
He really isn't, and no matter how many times you claim it, it won't be true.

I even offered 50£ for any proof he's racist .. no reply, you would think it's easy money
Original post by Nephthys
I even offered 50£ for any proof he's racist .. no reply, you would think it's easy money

I assume you would judge the bet? :rolleyes:

I will settle for a Mod to adjudicate.
You are anti-white.
I assume you would judge the bet? :rolleyes:

I will settle for a Mod to adjudicate.

It's not a bet, because you don't need to pay me if you're wrong, but you need to prove he's racist.
[video="youtube;G-fYU2JpquQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-fYU2JpquQ[/video]
Original post by Nephthys
It's not a bet, because you don't need to pay me if you're wrong, but you need to prove he's racist.

Sure, if we can have someone objective to judge the result.
Original post by the bear
[video="youtube;G-fYU2JpquQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-fYU2JpquQ[/video]

There's something very creepy about those two little girls doing their neo-fascist warm up in front of an audience who are the US version of UKIP and the BNP. :eek4:

Good luck finding one of those

Posted from TSR Mobile
There's something very creepy about those two little girls doing their neo-fascist warm up in front of an audience who are the US version of Militant Tendency :eek4:

Mr Creepy visits Creepyville Mall to buy some Creepy Crackers
Original post by the bear
Mr Changy visits the Text Change Mall to change some Text in Other People's Quotes.

He comes out alive, too.

Who do you propose ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending