The Student Room Group
Reply 1
When you start the AS year it's always worth choosing 4 subjects, because, if you have a really awful teacher or you hate a subject, you have an option. If you start with 3, and you need 3 for uni, your screwed if you don't like it.
Reply 2
amylouise
When you start the AS year it's always worth choosing 4 subjects, because, if you have a really awful teacher or you hate a subject, you have an option. If you start with 3, and you need 3 for uni, your screwed if you don't like it.

No I've already doen my AS's. I'm thinking about doing all 4 of my AS subjects to A2, and taking up AS critical thinking as well, just wondered if it was worth it.
Reply 3
I'm only in year 11 but i've studied As critical thinking, i did the exam in may sometime. I think it is worth it, you do learn quite a lot, and it shows you can be highly analytical...something regarded strongly amongst emploters etc. Things we had to do were determining if something was sufficient but not necessary and ad hominem :rolleyes: just analysing arguments and picking out flaws.
It can be a repetitive subject and can get boring sometimes, but for one lesson a week its really worth it as an As level, and some of it's concepts can be worthwhile to know.
The grades you get aren't too bad but apparebntly it's hard to achieve an A and things. But, my friend who is also in year 11 gained a B in her mocks and trust me she hardly went to any of the lessons (mind you she is a bit of a genius) ......but i'd do it if i was you..its an extra as level and some parts of it i found quite interesting.. :cool: You might even like it.
IMO, something analytical like history is more useful than critical thinking.
Reply 5
Dr. Blazed
IMO, something analytical like history is more useful than critical thinking.

I think we all know that - but in that amount of time, History wouldn't be one lesson a week would it?
Reply 6
At my college they only really give it to people as a 'timetable filler' having said that I'm not too sure what it entails, isn't it 50% multiple choice or something?
I was contemplating taking it as a replacement to whatever I drop, but I think I might go for politics instead as it'll be more useful uni-wise.
Reply 7
sort of, there are two papers. Paper one and half of it is multiple choice - do not be mislead these can be quite annoyingly hard sometimes. The other part of paper one is reading two long pieces of text and answering questions about it.
Paper two is making up your own arguements and analysing one in depth, making up conclusions. Beware they have some strange examles we had to analyse whether or not a man had his tape things stolen or whether he had lied :confused:
And thinking about it, i reckon Critical thinking is more analytical than History.
Have a go at it... not too much can go wrong and you can always drop it if it goes pear shaped!!

Lou
xxxx
Reply 9
I did critical thinking this year and it was horrible. I hardly learnt anything apart from what is an argument! We started with a class of 22 and by the time march came, it was hard to get double numbers to turn up due to drop outs ect. If you want to learn about arguments/improving analytical techniques ect then go for it.
Reply 10
I think it's great but it really depends on the kind of person you are. If you like not having lots of facts to learn, but rather, a skill for analysing arguments and making your own then it's great.

It's an AS in its own right so as well as being enjoyable it's quite useful in terms of uni application etc.

The only problem with it is that in my experience it is very difficult to achieve an A grade.
Reply 11
It's worth doing as an extra if you can timetable it but it's purely a bonus - I couldn't do it because I'm doing 5 AS levels, but apparently you learn some useful stuff and its a nice approach to analysis.
Reply 12
Critical Thinking: If you would like a subject that's half your timetable slot for one subject, no homework, no revsion, and no content, you can get away with missing up to 50% of your classes over the whole course and raise issues about pretty much anything this is the subject for you.
Reply 13
Ellie4
My school's offering this for the first time next year, I'm not sure whether I'm doing all 4 of my subjects to AS or just 3 at the moment, but would it be worth taking this up? What are your views?

Do it....Critical thinking is actually a valued AS level to have when applying for unis...despite it being the sister subject of the pointless GS AS.

CT teaches you how to analyse, construct, strengthen and weaken arguments....and it takes up no time at all to study for...just get the book...takes you less than a week just to read it and be ready for the test.

What subject are you going to apply for again?? I'm sure you've said before..but i can't remember....:redface:

G
Reply 14
Sounds good, just one lesson after school a week so may as well! And it's Economics for me :smile:
Reply 15
Spoke to my tutor about what I should take up next year, she actually sold CT really well. Mainly the no homework bit :biggrin:, might pick it up alongside Politics next year.
Reply 16
Ellie4
Sounds good, just one lesson after school a week so may as well! And it's Economics for me :smile:

That's good then...cos i'd imagine economics is similar in some respects to law...and i know the Law admissions tests coming in next year (LNAT) consist of a high proportion of CT questions.

G

Latest