The Student Room Group

Is it worth getting a law degree if I don’t want to become a lawyer ?

I’ve suddenly been more interested in law as I don’t have it as a subject at my college and wonder if it’s worth getting a degree if I don’t want to be a lawyer. I’ve been struggling to choose between a law and a geography course at uni.
Original post by TatianaB
I’ve suddenly been more interested in law as I don’t have it as a subject at my college and wonder if it’s worth getting a degree if I don’t want to be a lawyer. I’ve been struggling to choose between a law and a geography course at uni.

Hi @TatianaB,

There are many positives of doing a law degree even if you do not want to become a lawyer 🙂 Doing a law degree is far more than a simply vocational degree and teaches loads of transferrable skills such as the ability to read extensive materials, critical thinking, problem solving, advocacy etc. If you are interested in the subject then I would recommend going to a few different open days or taster workshops to see if studying the topic is for you! At the end of the day, if you want to do well in your undergrad then the most important thing is to study a subject that you enjoy.

I hope this helps 🙂

Sophie
Original post by UniofLaw Student
Hi @TatianaB,

There are many positives of doing a law degree even if you do not want to become a lawyer 🙂 Doing a law degree is far more than a simply vocational degree and teaches loads of transferrable skills such as the ability to read extensive materials, critical thinking, problem solving, advocacy etc. If you are interested in the subject then I would recommend going to a few different open days or taster workshops to see if studying the topic is for you! At the end of the day, if you want to do well in your undergrad then the most important thing is to study a subject that you enjoy.

I hope this helps 🙂

Sophie

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending