The Student Room Group

How do Cambridge consider your UMS when reapplying?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jneill
They use the module UMS at the time of your application, including resits.

For calculating averages they used the first sitting of an AS unless the resit was in the same year (in the days when there were January & June exams.)

However I completely agree with what has been said. Admissions have never been a mechanistic approach based on a single number related to any calculation of AS averages however arrived at.

The UMS calculation is simply one of many bits of data that go on a spreadsheet so that at a glance tutors can see how a candidate in front of them compares with the whole field of applicants for that subject throughout the university.

Tutors are not daft (Rep please Peterhouse AT!) and spend a great deal of time identifying the details of past exam performance, whether it be strongest scores in relevant and hard subjects, rogue failed modules, weak areas or absent subjects that are a concern, consistent, variable or improving performance and so on.
They also consider the context in which results were achieved and then have the added information from tests, essays, and interview performance.
Their motivation is to select the most able candidates, not the one who by a quirk of arithmetic scores 1% higher than somebody else.
Reply 21
Original post by Colmans
For calculating averages they used the first sitting of an AS unless the resit was in the same year (in the days when there were January & June exams.)

Really? So no point resiting any AS modules if applying Post A2?
Original post by jneill
Really? So no point resiting any AS modules if applying Post A2?

Not to bump up a UMS score no. However a high AS can make an A easier to achieve even if it can't affect the award of an A*.
I remember resitting a module which I sat first time when I was ill and it going from barely 80ish to 100%. It would have added a big safety margin if an A2 paper had gone badly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by L-Tyrosine
Thank you all for your responses.

Finally, what kind of weight does achieving gold medals in maths, bio, chem olympiad and challenges add to your application?

Any info on this?
Original post by L-Tyrosine
Any info on this?

Some weight. Any pluses on your application make it stronger.
Nobody can give you a quantitative answer because we don't know, in that example how many other candidates applying with also have gold Olympiads or other achievements of similar value. We can't know how much the gold Olympiads will sit in an application as consistent with the rest of the evidence or imply a level of ability at odds with other exam scores. It is a judgement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by Colmans
Not to bump up a UMS score no. However a high AS can make an A easier to achieve even if it can't affect the award of an A*.
I remember resitting a module which I sat first time when I was ill and it going from barely 80ish to 100%. It would have added a big safety margin if an A2 paper had gone badly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The CAT has confirmed they do take the resit into account for UMS averages. Or rather, they use the higher UMS between the resit and original marks...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3733847&page=321&p=61380119#post61380119
Original post by jneill
The CAT has confirmed they do take the resit into account for UMS averages. Or rather, they use the higher UMS between the resit and original marks...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3733847&page=321&p=61380119#post61380119

I strongly remember that the original info said resits in yr 13 didn't count. This makes sense to me as anybody could bump up their AS scores if they resat in yr 13. Resits do count in yr 12 for subjects done in yr 11. The calculation is done by central admission not the admissions tutors.
Either the rules have changed or there is something specific that applies in this case. If we really believe it we should advise routine re sitting of one or two UMS scores between 80 & 90 for those who will be post qual.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Colmans
I strongly remember that the original info said resits in yr 13 didn't count. This makes sense to me as anybody could bump up their AS scores if they resat in yr 13. Resits do count in yr 12 for subjects done in yr 11. The calculation is done by central admission not the admissions tutors.
Either the rules have changed or there is something specific that applies in this case. If we really believe it we should advise routine re sitting of one or two UMS scores between 80 & 90 for those who will be post qual.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Surely it wouldn't make any sense if they did this, considering the resits are part of the certificated A-level? ie. what the applicant actually got. In the same way that you don't have to declare resits on your UCAS application if you are post-qualification. What was the source of your information?

The CAT say the same thing in another thread from last year. "We use the higher mark when calculating the average, so it is your resit of 100 UMS that will count. You still have to record the other mark in the SAQ so we can see that it has been resat."

Cambridge don't operate an arbitrary resit 'ban' like other colleges such as UCL. Especially not for Arts subjects.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Colmans

Posted from TSR Mobile

Colmans, I promise you that resits always count and that the higher mark is used, please stop saying they don't! I've double checked on the spreadsheets and Camsis. :smile:
Original post by Christ's Admissions
Colmans, I promise you that resits always count and that the higher mark is used, please stop saying they don't! I've double checked on the spreadsheets and Camsis. :smile:

Hi! If you don't mind, I have a really quick question in relation to this thread and I was wondering if you could please help me with it? (I'm not a re-applicant, just applying post-A2).

I know that post-A2 UMS averages for the Arts are calculated using your best 3 UMS, however, I just wanted to check I've understood my average correctly :smile:

My UMS Averages by subject:
AS + A2 English - 92.25%
AS + A2 History - 88.5%
AS + A2 Spanish - 84.75%
AS Psychology - 95.5%

Am I correct in thinking that my average would be calculated between my English (AS + A2), History (AS + A2) and Psychology (AS) UMS? So, it would be 92.08%?

I asked in the summer when I was first considering applying and I believe that it was that if you only do an AS in a subject but don't then do the A2, the computer still takes it into consideration alongside your AS + A2 averages. I hope so!

(I'm unfortunately one of these people who didn't even understand what UMS was when I sat AS, then found out later and improved loads at A2, so UMS averages are a bit of a tricky for me!)

Thank you! :h:
Original post by scavi2008
Hi! If you don't mind, I have a really quick question in relation to this thread and I was wondering if you could please help me with it? (I'm not a re-applicant, just applying post-A2).

I know that post-A2 UMS averages for the Arts are calculated using your best 3 UMS, however, I just wanted to check I've understood my average correctly :smile:

My UMS Averages by subject:
AS + A2 English - 92.25%
AS + A2 History - 88.5%
AS + A2 Spanish - 84.75%
AS Psychology - 95.5%

Am I correct in thinking that my average would be calculated between my English (AS + A2), History (AS + A2) and Psychology (AS) UMS? So, it would be 92.08%?

I asked in the summer when I was first considering applying and I believe that it was that if you only do an AS in a subject but don't then do the A2, the computer still takes it into consideration alongside your AS + A2 averages. I hope so!

(I'm unfortunately one of these people who didn't even understand what UMS was when I sat AS, then found out later and improved loads at A2, so UMS averages are a bit of a tricky for me!)

Thank you! :h:

Yes, that's right, it will include just AS if that is one of your best three. Remember that averages aren't everything though & we can and do dig into results at a much more granular level. Best of luck for 12th! :smile:
Yes, that's right, it will include just AS if that is one of your best three. Remember that averages aren't everything though & we can and do dig into results at a much more granular level. Best of luck for 12th! :smile:

One last question,
So I had an offer for 2015 entry and it was 1,1 in II III but i got 1,1,3 in I II III. But do cambridge get my STEP I score cause I requested all my feedback and on a sheet the DoS had written my results(when they were deciding to reject or accept) and they did not have my I score. Makes me wonder if that would have made a difference since a few people at my college had 1,1 offers in I And II which they did not meet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wonderful, thank you so much! And yes, just one of the many pieces of the puzzle :h: Thanks very much, here's hoping it all goes well!
Original post by physicsmaths
One last question,
So I had an offer for 2015 entry and it was 1,1 in II III but i got 1,1,3 in I II III. But do cambridge get my STEP I score cause I requested all my feedback and on a sheet the DoS had written my results(when they were deciding to reject or accept) and they did not have my I score. Makes me wonder if that would have made a difference since a few people at my college had 1,1 offers in I And II which they did not meet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We get all the STEP scores when the results are released. They will have had your STEP I score. A 1 in STEP I wouldn't have been enough to swing things your way as it's considered (very) roughly the equivalent of a 2 in STEP II. The thing that will have killed your application last year was the 3 in STEP III, only an S in STEP II might have been enough.
We get all the STEP scores when the results are released. They will have had your STEP I score. A 1 in STEP I wouldn't have been enough to swing things your way as it's considered (very) roughly the equivalent of a 2 in STEP II. The thing that will have killed your application last year was the 3 in STEP III, only an S in STEP II might have been enough.

Yh I guess so :frown:. I just had a terrible day.
I seen someone get in with 1,3,1 so I was kind of sad. But yh I was not hopeful of being accepted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yh I guess so :frown:. I just had a terrible day.
I seen someone get in with 1,3,1 so I was kind of sad. But yh I was not hopeful of being accepted.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's horrible when that happens. I know it not much compensation but it's the worst part of the job, making negative decisions about those who miss their offers. For every person who gets in with 1,3,1 there will be several who don't.
It's horrible when that happens. I know it not much compensation but it's the worst part of the job, making negative decisions about those who miss their offers. For every person who gets in with 1,3,1 there will be several who don't.

Yh thanks. Just waiting for the 12th now fingers crossed!
That was my last question! Have a nice night!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yh thanks. Just waiting for the 12th now fingers crossed!
That was my last question! Have a nice night!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, good luck and happy new year! :smile:
Reply 38
I'm curious about this.
What's stronger? An 80% average and an A* or a 93% average but an A.
If you have weak AS UMS but strong A2 UMS, how much is that taken into account and is it worth resitting some AS modules just to improve average even if isn't needed to get the top grades.
Reply 39
Original post by Jam3898
I'm curious about this.
What's stronger? An 80% average and an A* or a 93% average but an A.
If you have weak AS UMS but strong A2 UMS, how much is that taken into account and is it worth resitting some AS modules just to improve average even if isn't needed to get the top grades.

How would you get average 80% and an A*?

Anyway your application is not just boiled down to an average of averages.

That said, if you have 1 or 2 "weak" AS modules it *might* be worth resitting them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending