The Student Room Group

Can I get in to a Russell group university?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by schmuur
my brother got into Leicester with A*CC, pretty much what you got! What subjects do you have at a level and what subject do you want to do at uni? I'd say if you have the A in the related subject, you should be fine.

That is so good! What course was this for? I have Russian (A) and then modern history and English language. I would like to study International Relations with Russian or History with International relations or even one of those with another language like German.
Reply 61
Original post by Sae.HH
Honestly getting into a Russell group uni is so easy, people make it out to be much harder than it is, BBB+ and you're in seriously. If you're not too picky about the course that is. With ACC you can definitely get it in if your A was in a good subject like Maths or a science.

What do you mean by being too picky about the course?
Reply 62
Original post by gromit1997
What do you mean by being too picky about the course?

If you want a pure subject, something broad or competitive, like a science, maths, engineering, law, economics, it's harder. But there are slightly more obscure course that surprisingly drop their grades massively. Even more so during clearing. Just take a look around and you'll see what I mean
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 63
Original post by JohnGreek
Why care about the "RG" status? It's based on something that you won't be interested at this stage - research - and there are non-RG unis with reputations and employer prospects (what I imagine you also may be considering) at a similar level with the lowest RG ones.

Obviously, A/A* students may apply to such unis based on the fact that they tend to correlate with the overarching trend of higher satisfaction/quality of the course/job prospects, but since you're evidently on (if not below) the borderline for such unis, why bother looking at their research rating at all?

I know you shouldn't base your whole opinion on league tables but the RG unis seem to be the ones with the most student and course satisfaction overall, it is not just about the research rating.
Reply 64
Original post by Sae.HH
If you want a pure subject, something broad or competitive, like a science, maths, engineering, law, economics, it's harder. But there are slightly more obscure course that surprisingly drop their grades massively. Even more so during clearing. Just take a look around and you'll see what I mean

Well I actually want to study something along the lines of International relations, languages and History, probably a combined course. Where can I look around for this though?
Reply 65
Well I actually want to study something along the lines of International relations, languages and History, probably a combined course. Where can I look around for this though?

Just take a look at different universities. Birmingham, Leeds, Liverpool, Exeter come to mind immediately.
Original post by emiloujess

From what I've read on TSR... no, they don't. :smile:

What a load of rubbish. Of course it matters where you get your degree from, just like it matters what your degree is in.
Original post by langlitz
What a load of rubbish. Of course it matters where you get your degree from, just like it matters what your degree is in.

Lol
Reply 68
Original post by Sae.HH
Just take a look at different universities. Birmingham, Leeds, Liverpool, Exeter come to mind immediately.

So are they the ones that can consider lower grades in clearing?
Reply 69
So are they the ones that can consider lower grades in clearing?

There are plenty that will and do, like I said, those are the few that come to mind, there are others I'm sure.
Reply 70
Original post by Sae.HH
There are plenty that will and do, like I said, those are the few that come to mind, there are others I'm sure.

I see, ok well anyway thank you for your help:smile:

Are you suggesting this from personal experience?
Reply 71
I see, ok well anyway thank you for your help:smile:

Are you suggesting this from personal experience?

Nope, I just no life'd university prospectuses back when I was applying lol, such a waste of time, I still probably know half the entry requirements for Warwick :colonhash: Good luck.
Reply 72
Original post by Sae.HH
Nope, I just no life'd university prospectuses back when I was applying lol, such a waste of time, I still probably know half the entry requirements for Warwick :colonhash: Good luck.

Ahhh ok, thank you, so where did you go and what did you study?
Reply 73
Ahhh ok, thank you, so where did you go and what did you study?

Warwick, Mech Eng
Reply 74
Original post by Sae.HH
Warwick, Mech Eng

Oh cool, so did you get an offer or did you get in through clearing?
Reply 75
Oh cool, so did you get an offer or did you get in through clearing?

Offer, not sure if you're trolling at this point since I've already mentioned that a few posts earlier...
Reply 76
Original post by Sae.HH
Offer, not sure if you're trolling at this point since I've already mentioned that a few posts earlier...

Oh of course you did! Sorry, No I'm not haha!
Reply 77
Original post by Sae.HH

Well anyway thank you for all your help!:smile:
Reply 78
Well anyway thank you for all your help!:smile:

You're welcome :smile:
My A level grades are ACC, I know for Russell group universities you should have ABB but one of my C grades was so close to a B, with such grades is there any chance of me getting in at all?

Thank you:smile:

Hi there I got more or less what you received with ACCDU in my AS results (so actually a little worse!). But it is key to remember that AS only forms one part of your application. There's predicted grades, references, a personal statement and prior academic achievement so don't be completely disheartened. Have a look at what your predicted grades are because that's what is required for the entry requirements. In my case I applied to two above my predicteds (A*AC, had to work really hard for a revision of them from A*BD) and now I've received offers from Nottingham and Southampton of AAB and BBB respectively so yes be optimistic because there is plenty of hope that you can get into a Russell Group uni!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending