The Student Room Group

Pure Mathematics or Joint Honours?

Hi, I need a little insight into this dilemma. I've done a lot of research but haven't come to any useful conclusion on whether or not I should pursue pure maths or maths and X.

I've been thinking of doing Maths and Philosophy or Maths and Economics but I heard that doing joint honours like these will restrict or limit me from entering postgraduate study for Mathematics itself. I also know it depends on the university course. I think Oxford does 80% Maths and 80% Philosophy for instance. Do people who do joint honour courses with Maths have less of a chance of getting into research?
Reply 1
Original post by Unbroken Oath
Hi, I need a little insight into this dilemma. I've done a lot of research but haven't come to any useful conclusion on whether or not I should pursue pure maths or maths and X.

I've been thinking of doing Maths and Philosophy or Maths and Economics but I heard that doing joint honours like these will restrict or limit me from entering postgraduate study for Mathematics itself. I also know it depends on the university course. I think Oxford does 80% Maths and 80% Philosophy for instance. Do people who do joint honour courses with Maths have less of a chance of getting into research?

Depends

I did mathematics with Theoretical physics and there were far more opportunities at the time than students which did straight maths, in particular those who had done mainly pure modules.

Maths and Philosophy, will be mainly pure maths modules
Maths and Economics, will be mainly pure and statistical modules

Quick Reply

Latest