The Student Room Group

Best of these countries for tourism: Morocco, Egpyt, Jordan, or Turkey?

Poll

Best country?

Morocco has Marrakesh and Fez, Egypt has the Pyramids and Luxor, Jordan has Petra, Wadi Rum, and the Dead Sea, whereas Turkey has Istanbul and Cappadocia.

If you wanted to visit one of these iconic Mediterranean countries for a week or two, which one would it be? Or you can vote multiple choice...
(edited 8 years ago)
smh, mate syria beats all of these countries for tourism
Original post by The Diplomat.
smh, mate syria beats all of these countries for tourism

I personally wouldn't go to any right now for obvious reasons. Egypt got the most potential, Turkey probably does it.
egypt
Reply 4
Syria
In terms of safety Id recommend Morocco, there is the least likelihood you'd get blown up there.
Tough choice, they're all amazing countries. I'd say Turkey or Egypt.
I hear they have a swanky hotel
Reply 8
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Morocco has Marrakesh and Fez, Egypt has the Pyramids and Luxor, Jordan has Petra, Wadi Rum, and the Dead Sea, whereas Turkey has Istanbul and Cappadocia.

If you wanted to visit one of these iconic Mediterranean countries for a week or two, which one would it be? Or you can vote multiple choice...

None of them at present, unless you have a potential death wish
Reply 9
There is simply no contest. Egypt. It was the home of the ancient world's greatest and most fascinating civilisation. No other country can compare with the Pyramids, or the Valley of the Kings, or the Temple of Luxor, or Alexandria's ancient Coptic churches.
Reply 10
That's messed up.
Original post by navarre
There is simply no contest. Egypt. It was the home of the ancient world's greatest and most fascinating civilisation. No other country can compare with the Pyramids, or the Valley of the Kings, or the Temple of Luxor, or Alexandria's ancient Coptic churches.

apart from its a sewer now, gone massively down hill since the golden times
Reply 12
Egypt without a doubt. Still see soo many tourists when I go there
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel

Given how many anti-muslim threads there are on here, I actually first read the title as "best of these countries for terrorism"
It's probably Turkey.
I've been to all four of them over the past few years, and honestly for me they're very close. I love Morocco because of the variety in things you can do and how cheap it is to get to from the UK. That said, Jordan is an amazing way to experience the old and new Middle East with the happening capital Amman as well as gorgeous historical sites like Petra (albeit rather pricey). Turkey is good but probably my least favourite because it seems dominated by package holidays and such like, and the same could be said about parts of Egypt (like Sharm El-Sheikh). That said, political situation aside Egypt was interesting to visit with good opportunities for diving in the Red Sea and of course experiencing the history and culture.
Overall I think Morocco and Jordan for me are joint first although taking money into account then Morocco would probably be my first choice to visit again.
(edited 8 years ago)
Turkey has the greatest variety for such a large space - and it's amazing so long as you do your best to avoid the package holiday/Brits Abroad hordes who line the coastlines.
I've only been to Turkey and Morocco (multiple times to both)

I think in terms of cultural and scenic variety, Turkey comes out on top. Admittedly, the cultural variety can be hard to get a grasp on as enforced Turkish nationalism is quite strong; regional cultures and languages aren't always exactly encouraged, but it is there. There is a world of difference in terms of lifestyle between Istanbul and the East, and between different cities and regions (not always just an East/West divide). The landscape and climate is hugely varied as well. This is also true to an extent with Morocco, but it's a little less apparent. Then you have some truly stunning archaeological sites representing a number of different civilisations, some of the most beautiful coastline in Europe (south of Fethiye along the Lycian coast), great food (also true of Morocco) and some one-of-a-kind attractions.

I'd love to go to Egypt, and I'm sure Cairo would compare with Istanbul, but once you get away from the archaeological sites and beaches, is there much else to it to interest a casual tourist? The same with Jordan- you have Petra, but I've not heard much good said about either Amman or Jerash...and I doubt such a small country could contain similar variety to Turkey.

One of my biggest regrets is not getting to Syria before the war. I had vague plans to go, but it didn't happen.

Quick Reply

Latest