The Student Room Group

Anybody else really wanting to leave university?

You don't have to read all this but I just want to know if anybody else is wanting to leave uni?

I'm at university. Luckily in the summer I was offered a degree which initially I thought I would do well at. It is a combination of the sciences and humanities. One term in and I am hating it.

For the past assignments I've been getting only 50's. Which hurts because I did well at A-levels. I put in a lot of effort and still get a low grade. I even had my friend from another uni on a similar degree who is doing better check my work and it still got into the 50's:confused:

I have made no friends at university. I am a first year undergrad. I know this is a fault of my own but seriously, people seem to form cliques very quick and it seems people are friends with who they live in halls with. I do go to societies when I can but many are held at night and revolve around night life and drinking which I'm not really into.

I've lost motivation aswell. I mean what am I going to do with my course? I barely enjoy the lessons / lectures anymore. I'm not really connecting with my module convenors. My tutor suggests I see a counsellor but having seen 5 previously before uni I know I don't need to go. Studying for my degree isn't even willing it's more like a chore.

Scroll to see replies

I know so many people who feel like this, i felt like this in my first year too. But i didnt let it get to me. For me it was just temporary feelings. I know i WANT to complete my degree and and hopefully do my masters and phd

Just dont lose sight of the bigger picture. If you truly want to do the degree and love your subject just carry on.

ive lost motivation like 1000 times, but i think thats only normal for students

dont let the stress get to you
Reply 2
What would you suggest I do?

I also wanted to do a Masters or at least I wanted to. But now it seems out of bounds.
Original post by AthiaKarim

ive lost motivation like 1000 times, but i think thats only normal for students

dont let the stress get to you

preach!

Sometimes it's just frustration from everything and you just need to relax and look at the bigger picture!
Original post by trapking
preach!

Sometimes it's just frustration from everything and you just need to relax and look at the bigger picture!

totally agree!!

hope op can find their way through this! Because all of this is totally worth it
I dont want to be there, but i have to be.
totally agree!!

hope op can find their way through this! Because all of this is totally worth it

Yup, I'm going through the exact same spell right now hahaha

But i keep telling myself i'm halfway there so yolo I should finish what i started :lol:
Reply 7
I left audiology :smile: GO CHASE YOUR DREAM
Your tutors will brain wash you to stay just so they can maintain statical data.
However if you really want to do the degree i suggests you speak to the counselling team that your university has offered.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yup, I'm going through the exact same spell right now hahaha

But i keep telling myself i'm halfway there so yolo I should finish what i started :lol:

Lmaoo we're like two peas in a pod! im halfway there and i lost motivation at the beginning of the semester!

feel like im getting it together now though

good luck with your degree!!
Lmaoo we're like two peas in a pod! im halfway there and i lost motivation at the beginning of the semester!

story of my life! :biggrin:

feel like im getting it together now though

good luck with your degree!!

Same (kinda) but I feel this time round I'm not gonna be good enough in my exams :/

Thank you Athia, I'll need that! I wish you well with yours too :smile:
Hey OP!

I can very much relate. Before September, I got in touch with a good two hundred or so people who were about to start at the same uni as me, and within weeks people were already forming their own little social circles. I got on with a lot of people, but I never really fit into any particular group, so it was hard on me for the first few weeks...drifting between groups trying to find one I would click with. I still haven't really found one. Then there's the course; I enjoy it, but it's very hard work. I'm not sure what grades I'm getting, but there's times when I look at my assignments and think to myself "Why on Earth am I doing this?!". Persistence, patience and confidence is key here. Keep at it; you're at uni for the degree, to ultimately give yourself better opportunities for the future

For me, there's a number of things I've started doing to keep my head held high. I've joined the gym, I'm a student representative for my course, I'm looking into volunteering for the local library, I'm a committee member for one of the societies. Uni is full of opportunities and you've just got to keep exploring and trying new things!

Hope that gives you some inspiration. If you're looking for a friend, feel free to send a message my way! :smile:
Original post by afsana_ac
What would you suggest I do?

I also wanted to do a Masters or at least I wanted to. But now it seems out of bounds.

nothing is out of bounds sweetie.
take a breather, think through all of this carefully. you didnt come this far in academia to just quit? when youre so close to getting what you want!
re invest your time in your studies. find a revision/work buddy.

this is something we have chosen to do, university isnt a sacrifice its a choice!

love what you do!
story of my life! :biggrin:

Same (kinda) but I feel this time round I'm not gonna be good enough in my exams :/

Thank you Athia, I'll need that! I wish you well with yours too :smile:

aww hope it works out for you! and if you need someone to talk to about stress etc by all means message me hahha

and thank you xx
Reply 13
-Hey OP!

This has given me some hope, especially when it describes how I feel. Thank you for the further advice and inspiration. Will definitely try to be just as pro-active as you this term. Thank you for also letting me know I can message you, if need be.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Emily.97
I dont want to be there, but i have to be.

But, why?
(edited 8 years ago)
Is uni really that bad? :cry2:
Reply 16
nothing is out of bounds sweetie.
take a breather, think through all of this carefully. you didnt come this far in academia to just quit? when youre so close to getting what you want!
re invest your time in your studies. find a revision/work buddy.

this is something we have chosen to do, university isnt a sacrifice its a choice!

love what you do!

I do like what I am studying. It's just the way it's taught and other things that are really making me starting to hate it such as my assignment grades. Sadly I'm one of the first people to go uni in my family. So quitting isn't a choice.

What university do you go to and what course do you do?

It seems like you're liking university and your course.
Reply 17
Original post by emiloujess
Is uni really that bad? :cry2:

Depends who you ask, what uni you're at and what course you're doing.
Original post by afsana_ac
Depends who you ask, what uni you're at and what course you're doing.

I've seen a lot of these kind of threads and it makes me really nervous for next year :frown:

I hope you find motivation soon though. Do you have any plans for after uni?
totally agree!!

It really isn't. You'll come out, at the very least, a 22 year old graduate with no life experience and little in the way of marketable skills.

Training schemes, trades and the likes are the way to go these days. You could take a two week Prince2 qualification, and back it up with a year of consistent work experience managing low-level projects, and be infinitely more employable than a graduate (and significantly better off). A good Project Manager can command an annual salary of upwards of £70k-80k.

Who wants to be 'just another' of tens of millions of graduates. A piece of paper, in amongst mountains of pieces of paper for employers to look through, make you no different from the next graduate, particularly where the degree has little if no relevance to your future career choice (which is the case with most graduates, in my experience).

Universities just produce dross these days - everyone is a graduate. Degrees have become meaningless (particularly for employers and humanities students).
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending