The Student Room Group

can i apply for degree apprenticeships whilst on an apprenticeship

I am doing an accounting apprenticeship that started in sep 2023 and I am not enjoying it, I want to apply for tech degree apprenticeships because it is what I am most interested in but I am worried companies won't consider me because I am already doing an apprenticeship. What should I do? Should I not mention it at all or be honest and open with companies? Has anybody else had this problem?
Reply 1
Original post by rhyxan
I am doing an accounting apprenticeship that started in sep 2023 and I am not enjoying it, I want to apply for tech degree apprenticeships because it is what I am most interested in but I am worried companies won't consider me because I am already doing an apprenticeship. What should I do? Should I not mention it at all or be honest and open with companies? Has anybody else had this problem?

Provided you've got the grades there shouldn't be an issue as accounting and technology are completely different fields (so from a funding perspective, the employer has no reason to deny you). Always worth applying!
Reply 2
I'm not an expert on this but if you apply to an apprenticeship while already being in one, your prospective employer could talk to your current employer and provider so it may come as a shock to them if you haven't told them you're planning on leaving. And maybe they won't want to keep you on if they see you're not committed to the role so no point wasting further money (?). Also, getting hired to another apprenticeship in the first place without having completed your current one might not look good to your prospective employer. You should tell them that you'd be committed to the new role and truly think this is the right fit this time, and if you had good reasons for wanting to leave, they might be on your side and hire you.

I'm not sure about lying and not sharing that you're already an apprentice, but degree apprenticeships are competitive and work experience is helpful.

There shouldn't be an issue if you're going to finish your accounting apprenticeship by the time the new one starts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending