The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ukhti18
for theories I think values, science, policy or globalisation

I would fully cry with joy if theories of modernity come up
Original post by fkaclocksx
heyy, does anyone know any good points for this question?? the only 'for' point i have is on Boudrillard :/

“Society Has Now Entered a New Postmodern Age and We Need New Theories to Understand It” Assess This View (33 Marks)Thank you :smile:

Could link it to social policy and that if we're in a postmodern age then some of our modern policies will not work; move towards more apprentiships as an alternative to uni to or anything to create a pick and mix lifestyle
Original post by Wendikorb
this has really scared me because my teacher has not once mentioned that this could be a possibility of an age and crime. how would u structure an essay that came up on this for example what would u put in the intro/conclusion etc? i know people have said a combination but I'm just really confused haha :frown:

also what do people think will come up for the scyl4 methods questions? is it likely that values could come up

Age is a tiny bit in the book though? I'd talk about labelling of youths as criminals then bring becker into it, then utilitarian white collar crime as you get older. idk what crime you could do past that age though?
Original post by AlteredBoy
I would fully cry with joy if theories of modernity come up

Noo, for the me the ideal paper would be: Crime as social construction 21 marker &Suicide/Gender 21 Marker. Social policy/values 33 marker
Original post by Wendikorb
this has really scared me because my teacher has not once mentioned that this could be a possibility of an age and crime. how would u structure an essay that came up on this for example what would u put in the intro/conclusion etc? i know people have said a combination but I'm just really confused haha :frown:

also what do people think will come up for the scyl4 methods questions? is it likely that values could come up

I don't think that will come up. There is nothing on it in the text book
For a crime as a social construction question, what would you include? I'm not really sure what that question is asking, would it be referring to theorists who believe official statistics in crime are not social facts (so labelling/social action, marxists, new criminologists, left realists) and the stuff about moral panics

Also, with regards to a suicide question. In class we were only taught about Durkhem's studies on suicide, the four types of suicide, and then criticisms of Durkheim (e.g. suicide statistics are social constructs not social facts - and then explaining why). Do you think this would be enough to include in a suicide question
Original post by Sian-97
For a crime as a social construction question, what would you include? I'm not really sure what that question is asking, would it be referring to theorists who believe official statistics in crime are not social facts (so labelling/social action, marxists, new criminologists, left realists) and the stuff about moral panics

Also, with regards to a suicide question. In class we were only taught about Durkhem's studies on suicide, the four types of suicide, and then criticisms of Durkheim (e.g. suicide statistics are social constructs not social facts - and then explaining why). Do you think this would be enough to include in a suicide question

I'm not 100% sure what kind of question they would ask for suicide, but that certainly isn't enough - if you can get an A2 soc textbook there's Douglas, Taylor and Atkinson
JS, how good would the methods in context be if it were suicide and documents?
Original post by AlteredBoy
I'm not 100% sure what kind of question they would ask for suicide, but that certainly isn't enough - if you can get an A2 soc textbook there's Douglas, Taylor and Atkinson
JS, how good would the methods in context be if it were suicide and documents?

Thanks for your response. I've just looked it up in my textbook and found Douglas, and Taylor's arguments. I think I'd be ok with a suicide question now, phew:smile:
Omg, yes that would so handy! If only
Is it just me who is absolutely terrified about religion
Original post by xxvine

God no, I've been through some of the past papers and I feel massively underprepared, RIP us
Original post by xxvine

Me too! I haven't even started revising for it yet, and I never was entirely confident whilst learning the content in class. At least with Crime + Deviance I found learning the content was straight forward.

Praying for you guys!! :frown:
Hey guys,

Can anyone help me on how to write a 33 mark for theories?
I feel as though after writing all the content on the topic specified in the question, there will be no time for me to evaluate it against other theories.
My teacher said that this is essential and i'm really struggling.
How would you evaluate an essay on values and objectivity for example?
I tend to just reword the topic from the textbook to make it flow into an essay form.

hope i'm making sense!
anyone else struggling?
Original post by Ukhti18
Anyone else's teachers have any predictions? we seem to have nailed last year's AS prediction of childhood and social policy

haha i remember this. I came out that exam knowing I'd achieved an A in sociology!
Predicts for Belief and Crime and Deviance?
Original post by fabruttledge
Hey guys,

Can anyone help me on how to write a 33 mark for theories?
I feel as though after writing all the content on the topic specified in the question, there will be no time for me to evaluate it against other theories.
My teacher said that this is essential and i'm really struggling.

33 mark:
In the intro introduce the theories and what their meta-narratives say
Paragraph 1: What each theory says about aspects of the family and any specific evaluation
Paragraph 2: Same but with education
Paragraph 3: General evaluation and other theories such as the New Right's perspective on it
Paragraph 4: What each theory says about aspects of religion and any specific evaluation
Paragraph 5: Same for crime and deviance
Paragraph 6: Overall conclusion with how each theory has impacted society as a whole, if we have fully entered a postmodern era or if we're in a mixture of the meta-narratives and postmodernity and relevant positivism and interpretivism debates
is anyone else crying that social policy will come up my whole class doesnt get it (including me)
Original post by Year11student
is anyone else crying that social policy will come up my whole class doesnt get it (including me)

I certainly wouldn't be pleased if it did. It's definitely one of the harder topics to write an essay on.
The 2015 papers are on AQA now, so you can find them yourself. Interactionism was meant to be on the paper last year but got stolen so the 33 marker was practical, ethical and theoretical considerations. So maybe a debate could come up this year???
Is it true that before a exam board change their specifications, they must cover have covered the WHOLE current specification?
Basically, would this mean that anything that is in the current (not new) specification that has not come up previously, must do so this final year?
I think it's going to be socio as a science question

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending