The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys! I have a question.

Since my teachers are SO behind I've decided to start Unit 3 beliefs and society by myself (yep, we haven't even finished Unit 4 - we have one topic left for crime and deviance, the rest was rushed and we've quite a few topics left for theory).

Unit 3 beliefs has so many terms oh my :zomg: but my actual question is how do you answer the questions i.e. how long do you spend on each question and what is the structure for it? I hope to finish my revision notes by the end of this month for all my subjects so that I have 3 1/2 months to do solid revision.
Reply 61
Original post by thecatwithnohat

Since my teachers are SO behind I've decided to start Unit 3 beliefs and society by myself (yep, we haven't even finished Unit 4 - we have one topic left for crime and deviance, the rest was rushed and we've quite a few topics left for theory).

Unit 3 beliefs has so many terms oh my :zomg: but my actual question is how do you answer the questions i.e. how long do you spend on each question and what is the structure for it? I hope to finish my revision notes by the end of this month for all my subjects so that I have 3 1/2 months to do solid revision.

I am stuck on that as well

I am really scared on how I am going to remember everything! We have like 3 months to exam and my class haven't started beliefs either. I think I am going to press ahead like you!

How did you find theory?
Original post by xxvine

I am really scared on how I am going to remember everything! We have like 3 months to exam and my class haven't started beliefs either. I think I am going to press ahead like you!

How did you find theory?

Trust me start now, then the homework they Gove you will act as revision rather than you trying to learn the mment.

For the 33 marker, I made the mistake of treating it like the 21 marker where knowledge is heavily weighted. All I did was talk about what I know but didn't put any focus on how the feminist perspective actually influences our understanding of society today :erm: I think I need to see a sample answer to understand haha
Original post by xxvine
I am just stuck on the essay questions

Basically how to lay it out.....

Okay,
Unit 3:
9 marks: just the main point, an example and evaluate in 1 sentence (3 times)
18 marks: 3/4 points but it has to be in depth (if time add a 5th - may be a bit weaker) with intro and conclusion. Each paragraph should have a main point, explain, evidence i.e. sociologists, and if relevant link to the item and then evaluate the point.
33 marker: you have to ensure that you have 4/6 points done in detail just like above but you do not need the item this time but you would still need to have an introduction and conclusion.

I will upload an example later on so have a look at that. :smile:

Unit 4:
The two 21 mark questions: its the same as AS, around 5 points (7 if including introduction and conclusion), but this time you have to ensure that you use the relevant item and if it is a perspective question such as Marxism etc you would have to ensure that you give a different perspective, and integrate that with the perspective of the question.

for the 15 mark question: its the strengths and limitations of a method and link it to the item that has been given. Similar to AS but its worth 5 less marks for A2.

33 marker: longer essay so you should write about 6/7 paragraphs with an intro and conclusion, there are different topics that could come up so I will post some examples of essays that have got good marks.

Hey there, as I mentioned in one of the earlier posts:
This is for unit 3:
9 marker: 13 mins
18 marker: 27 mins
33 marker: 50 mins

This would break down to a 1 and a half mins per 1 mark.

Hope that helps!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 65
Original post by xxvine

How did you find theory?

For A2 Sociology, I seem to be finding that going ahead really pays off, much more than for A2.

Believe me when I say that I still don't fully understand what I've read ahead on, but some of this stuff is really damn hard to get your head around.

Good examples in my case would be reading ahead on beliefs in society (Weber's protestant ethic and the spirit of capitalism seemed very strange to me at first, but now, having gone back to it a couple of times, I feel better about it, and feel like I could explain it) and some of the theory, because elements of theory crop up throughout other topics, so I found it helpful to read ahead on postmodernism for example, before we came to globalisation, green crime and state crime.

All I guess I'm trying to say is, don't punish yourself for not getting it straight away. I don't know whether what works for me would also work for any of you, but if it does, not only will you find it enjoyable and interesting, but you'll take some pressure off yourself later and really improve your ability to draw comparisons/evaluations between different areas of work.

Really, really sorry about this long post! :frown: To try and compensate, here is a video I found interesting :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIrnud6X2qU

I shall return here to speak to you all, fellow sociological wizards, and you are welcome to my topic overviews and ideas when I post them up :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by QUIETONE
Hey there, as I mentioned in one of the earlier posts:
This is for unit 3:
9 marker: 13 mins
18 marker: 27 mins
33 marker: 50 mins

This would break down to a 1 and a half mins per 1 mark.

Hope that helps!!

Ah super, thank you!

What about the structure? Is the 33-marker the same as the theory structure, and is the 9 marker the same as our AS 9-marker structure?
Ah super, thank you!

What about the structure? Is the 33-marker the same as the theory structure, and is the 9 marker the same as our AS 9-marker structure?

No, because we never had a 9 mark question at AS. I will post example essays for the different types of questions but for now below is a small summary for each question:

Unit 3:
9 marks: just the main point, an example and evaluate in 1 sentence (3 times)
18 marks: 3/4 points but it has to be in depth (if time add a 5th - may be a bit weaker) with intro and conclusion. Each paragraph should have a main point, explain, evidence i.e. sociologists, and if relevant link to the item and then evaluate the point.
33 marker: you have to ensure that you have 4/6 points done in detail just like above but you do not need the item this time but you would still need to have an introduction and conclusion.

I will upload an example later on so have a look at that.

Unit 4:
The two 21 mark questions: its the same as AS, around 5 points (7 if including introduction and conclusion), but this time you have to ensure that you use the relevant item and if it is a perspective question such as Marxism etc you would have to ensure that you give a different perspective, and integrate that with the perspective of the question.

for the 15 mark question: its the strengths and limitations of a method and link it to the item that has been given. Similar to AS but its worth 5 less marks for A2.

33 marker: longer essay so you should write about 6/7 paragraphs with an intro and conclusion, there are different topics that could come up so I will post some examples of essays that have got good marks.
x

Oh goodness, I've clearly forgotten about what the AS structure was like!

You're honestly a life saver, I'll look back on here in due time when you have the examples up! :smile:
Oh goodness, I've clearly forgotten about what the AS structure was like!

You're honestly a life saver, I'll look back on here in due time when you have the examples up! :smile:

Haha no worries :smile: i made a resource for the 9 marker for unit 3, for which it would get 9/9 on my account, you can have a look if you wish.
(edited 8 years ago)
Haha no worries :smile: i made a resource for the 9 marker for unit 3, for which it would get 9/9 on my account, you can have a look if you wish.

Yeah, I'd love to! :smile:

Are you an A2 student also?
Yeah, I'd love to! :smile:

Are you an A2 student also?

Yeah :smile:
I have uploaded 2 resources: one 9 mark question for unit 3 religion and beliefs and one 15 mark question for Unit 4 crime and deviance.

Both questions have received full marks.
(edited 8 years ago)
I have uploaded 2 resources: one 9 mark question for unit 3 religion and beliefs and one 15 mark question for Unit 4 crime and deviance.

Both questions have received full marks.

Where are the uploads? :h:
Reply 74
Okay, this is a silly little game I made up, that I sometimes play with classmates.

Trust me, we get very competitive sometimes! :wink:

Feel free to download and use this as you see fit.

Overviews will be on the way during next week.
Reply 75

For the 33 marker, I made the mistake of treating it like the 21 marker where knowledge is heavily weighted. All I did was talk about what I know but didn't put any focus on how the feminist perspective actually influences our understanding of society today :erm: I think I need to see a sample answer to understand haha

I was also a little unsure about how to tackle these questions. I had my first go on a functionalism one, and somehow got 27/33. I thought I did really badly, because it feels so abstract and vague being a theory question.

Would it be of any use to anyone if I scanned my answer and uploaded it?

My teacher is amazing and gives valuable feedback :smile:
Yes that would be really useful. If you don't mind could you share it with us?
I will copy them here
Any one know the questions for last years paper (2015) for beliefs? Obviously, I cannot access it via AQA and not able to find them else where.
Reply 79
Yes that would be really useful. If you don't mind could you share it with us?

Sure, I can't do it tonight, because most of my marked work is in a folder at school.

Will tomorrow night be okay for you?

At the same time, I will also upload an overview I made on theories of punishment, including Durkheim's ideas of justice. It should give a good idea of what my other overviews will be like, and whether you'll find them useful. I try not to overload them with information, so they can be used to track your way through a topic.

Latest

Trending

Trending