The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Baron von Haxor
I second the above post. Are the any predictions for the media paper? I've not seen anyone post anything. Regardless, New Media and Globalisation didn't come up last year, and they almost always do that or Ownership and control.

hmm I agree with new media/globalisation and also representations and news as a social construction maybe!
Reply 781
Could anyone help please - my teacher hasn't been over social policy in class with us yet and has set us an essay to do from our textbooks but I can't really get my head around it...could anyone please summarise the main points of social policy as part of the theory and methods section? Also the essay we were set is:

"Sociological arguments and research evidence canhave a very important influence on the social policies of governments.” To what extent do sociological arguments andevidence support this view?

How would you go abut structuring this essay and what content would you use?
Thank you in advance:smile:
If anyone has a plan or an essay for 'assess sociological explanations of science and ideology as belief systems' could you please send it to me. Im so confused with this chapter
a lot of people are saying that sociology as a science could come up as an essay for the 33 marker on the crime and deviance section, could someone give an overview as to how you'd write it, thanks
Reply 784
Original post by CharlotteStar
Does anyone have any full marks examplier answers for any of the scly4 questions plsz ?
Thanks

sociologya2answers.wordpress.com

my website with a few full mark essays for
THEORY and METHOD
METHOD IN CONTEXT
MASS MEDIA
CRIME AND DEVIANCE
Reply 785
sociologya2answers.wordpress.com
Has anybody got any predictions for tomorrow's education paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 788
What are the predictions for unit 3?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 789
Do you have the actual workbook questions? these answer booklets look great!
So what are the definite predictions for crime and deviance?
Reply 791
What would you include in a postmodern view of society (theory and methods?)
Reply 792
I've gone through this forum, among others and piled together a list of the most popular predictions for SCLY3 and SCLY4 (the numbers represent how many times someone has predicted that topic):

SCLY 3:
Globalisation (10)
Science & ideology (7)
Secularisation (5)
Organisations, movements &members (3)
New Age (1)

SCLY 4:
Crime & deviance:
Globalisation (17)
State crimes (8)
Green crime (1)
Suicide (6)
Labelling (6)
Age (6)
Punishment/victims (4)
Ethnicity (2)
Gender (2)
Functionalism (2)
Social policy (1)
Marxism (1)
Control & crime prevention (1)
Mass media (1)

Theory:
Modernism, Postmodernism &Globalisation (10)
Sociology & science (5)
Social action theories (4)
Social policy (4)
Objectivity & values (3)
Functionalism (1)
Methods (1)
(edited 7 years ago)
Always remember to make sure you write the argument between positivists and interpretivists. My teacher told me even if you just wrote about those two perspectives you can pick up very good easy marks. Other sociological perspectives would be Postmodernism and theorists such as Kuhn (Paradigms) and Karl Popper.

I've attached a mind map that i created because i honestly did not have a clue as to where to start with Sociology as a Science until i taught myself.

New-Mind-Map_5aqdflll.jpg
Here's a mind map on Sociology and Suicide.
Sociology-and-Suicide_5aqde0xo.jpg
Reply 795
Modernism, Postmodernism &Globalisatio- HELP
Original post by SJJ97
Modernism, Postmodernism &Globalisatio- HELP

Which unit?
Reply 797
Original post by Uw0tm8_
Which unit?

Theory and methods
Original post by Elannm
I've gone through this forum, among others and piled together a list of the most popular predictions for SCLY3 and SCLY4 (the numbers represent how many times someone has predicted that topic):

SCLY 3:
Globalisation (10)
Science & ideology (7)
Secularisation (5)
Organisations, movements &members (3)
New Age (1)

SCLY 4:
Crime & deviance:
Globalisation (17)
State crimes (8)
Green crime (1)
Suicide (6)
Labelling (6)
Age (6)
Punishment/victims (4)
Ethnicity (2)
Gender (2)
Functionalism (2)
Social policy (1)
Marxism (1)
Control & crime prevention (1)
Mass media (1)

Theory:
Modernism, Postmodernism &Globalisation (10)
Sociology & science (5)
Social action theories (4)
Social policy (4)
Objectivity & values (3)
Functionalism (1)
Methods (1)

I'm going to be honest I would not rely on these predictions. I would be nearly 100% certain that ethnicity will not come up for crime and deviance, whilst there is a good chance that Marxism will come up. And what is social policy for crime? I'm really freaking out that age or something will come up
Reply 799
Original post by nicoleemmak
I'm going to be honest I would not rely on these predictions. I would be nearly 100% certain that ethnicity will not come up for crime and deviance, whilst there is a good chance that Marxism will come up. And what is social policy for crime? I'm really freaking out that age or something will come up

Social policy is what different policies the governments put in place to prevent/ spot crime

Latest

Trending

Trending