The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SJJ97
How would you structure a 33 mark theory and methods on 'interpretivist vs positivism'?

This came up last year so I wouldn't worry about it.
For Beliefs I was thinking ethnicity. the last time that came up was in Jan 2011 asking "assess the view that for ethnic minority groups, the practice of religion and membership of beliefs is mainly a form of cultural defence".

I'm finding this question Really hard as the ken browne book (orange), doesn't really outline any specific evaluative points or there's really not enough considering how much the evaluation weighs in this 33 marker (I think around 18).

Has anyone prepared for this Q? If so can they share there material, (specifically on how to evaluate the Q)
Original post by yasssmin1
For Beliefs I was thinking ethnicity. the last time that came up was in Jan 2011 asking "assess the view that for ethnic minority groups, the practice of religion and membership of beliefs is mainly a form of cultural defence".

I'm finding this question Really hard as the ken browne book (orange), doesn't really outline any specific evaluative points or there's really not enough considering how much the evaluation weighs in this 33 marker (I think around 18).

Has anyone prepared for this Q? If so can they share there material, (specifically on how to evaluate the Q)

Statistics today show that religion continues to play an important part in the lives of the people living in Britain of a minority ethnic group. Trends show that there has been an overall decline in the membership of Christian groups that are seen to be predominately white. One possible explanation for this decline is that groups such as Jehovah’s Witnesses are very active and go out to actively recruit new followers, however, factors such as ethnicity play a part. Religion can act as a way to help people from other countries transition to their new home, and it can also allow them to keep their cultural identity. As a result of immigration in the 1950s and 1960s Britain is characterised by religious pluralism, with a great diversity of faiths and practices.

There is evidence to prove that a majority of people who attend church services on a Sunday belong to a minority ethnic group. For example, in 2007 only 6% of the British population went to a Christian church, about 1 in 6 of them were African Caribbean’s which, in proportion to their population size in this country, is around 3 times more. This can link to the idea of Durkheim that religion allows people to integrate with one another and helps with social solidarity and building shared values. Davie also suggests that high levels of religiosity help to maintain tradition, group cohesion and solidarity. This was also linked to other aspects of ethnic identity such as traditional dress and cooking. Also, it has been found (Modood et al) that being part of a religious groups helps those who are from an ethnic minority group to cope with the pressures that perhaps come from racial hostility and discrimination.

Asian families are often very close and usually have a large extended family. Because of this closeness, people may feel under pressure to conform to religious values and practices. This would suggest that religion doesn’t always act as a cultural defence and that rather, people go because they feel they have to. As well as this, ethnic minority families who live in the UK are often socially deprived and this can account for high levels of religiosity, rather than cultural defence. Many older Asian women feel that they are deprived when they move to this country because of a poor understanding of the English Language and this in turn, means that they are excluded. Pakistani and Bangladeshi households are the poorest in this country (63% living in poverty in 2005) and many African Caribbean’s face racial discrimination at work religion for these people, may act as a compensator for the deprivation that they face.

I did this question for my mock exam and this was all I could come up with - I think I still got 18 marks even though it is really short - if I find any other material I have on it (we spent a long time going through the questions after then I'll post them for you) :smile:
Original post by yasssmin1

I think this is more likely to come up as an 18 marker than a 33 marker
any predictions for beliefs? If secularisation comes up as one of the 33m I might actually cry with happiness!
Original post by nicoleemmak
I think this is more likely to come up as an 18 marker than a 33 marker

Yes I was thinking that too
Original post by DKN
Cohen, merton,
Also you can talk about subculture in age

Age - you would talk youth crime

Do you have any essay plans for that cause it's like my worst topic??
Has anyone heard of a revision guide called "Bare bones revision"?. it was a great source of condensed material and amazing exam tips. it used to be online but now when you search for it, it seems to have been taken down and I forgot to save it on my documents :frown:

does anyone else have this? (they have one for crime and even beliefs)
Does anyone have any predictions about crime and even beliefs?

Thanks ALL and good luck for the 14th!!!
Original post by Bilalmuh123

The only thing that our teacher has said is that she highly doubts suicide will come up in C&D because it has been taken off the new spec as it is seen as too sensitive a topic which I have to agree with!
Reply 990
Original post by Bilalmuh123

I thought the exam is on the 20th :frown: is this a different exam?
Original post by soora
I thought the exam is on the 20th :frown: is this a different exam?

Our exams are the 20th and 23rd so I don't know where the 14th came from? (I have 2 other exams on the 14th haha)
Reply 992
Original post by EmilyPlatypus
Our exams are the 20th and 23rd so I don't know where the 14th came from? (I have 2 other exams on the 14th haha)

Oh okay, thank god! because Im doing it on my own so I thought I might have gotten the dates wrong :l Thanks
AS Grade: B
A2 Personal Target Grade: A
Topics studying*: Global Development + Crime and Deviance

Does anyone else doing Global struggling with the structure of essay questions???? It seems very different to the C and D paper.............
I (hopefully) have attached my final sheet of revision notes for beliefs in society - I've summarised it into 7 pages as a brief overview that will hopefully help as a small aid to revision and prompt you in what to write for an essay etc! Hopefully some of you will find it useful :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone got a list of studies or researches that you can use in the exams
Original post by 08graya
I (hopefully) have attached my final sheet of revision notes for beliefs in society - I've summarised it into 7 pages as a brief overview that will hopefully help as a small aid to revision and prompt you in what to write for an essay etc! Hopefully some of you will find it useful :smile:

cheers
Original post by df2397
Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone got a list of studies or researches that you can use in the exams

depends which units you're doing???? i have notes on crime and deviance and global development. do u also need notes on theory and methods???
I'm doing crime and deviance and religion

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by df2397
I'm doing crime and deviance and religion

Posted from TSR Mobile

well I am doing C and D as well and Global, sorry! But I haven't finished the notes for C and D but I can list the ones I have so far:
Mass Media - For Deviancy Amplification, James Bulger Case

Suicide - Durkheim's Positivist study of Suicide (use of official stats). He found factors which can increase suicide.
Taylor's Realist study (looked at parasuicides). Found over half resulted in suicide verdict, even thought there wasn't conclusive evidence.
Douglas' Interpretivist study. Found parents tried to hide or decieve coroner from their own sense of guilt. And that in Catholic countries, the coroners are less likely to give the verdict of suicide in order to prevent stigma.
Atkinson's Interpretivist study. Suggested that coroners hold common sense theories so they look for four types of evidence: suicide notes, mode of death, location and circumstances and life history.

Subcultures - Cohen (1955) studied delinquent gangs in low-income, inner city gangs- Status frustration; they form delinquent subcultures with their own set of achievable goals.
Jock Young (Can work for Labelling and Mass Media). Did a participant observation among the cannabis smokers in Notting Hill in the 60s. Media created a moral panic on drugs - hostile reaction made the problem worse. Found that the leisure values and working values could co-exist - subterranean values but the anti-drug discourse weighed the values on one side.

Labelling - Cicourel (1968) found that officers' typifications led them to focus on certain 'types'

Right Realism - Wilson and Kelling's 'Broken Windows' - Kelling was an advisor to the NYC Police when they operated zero tolerance policy. Argues that it is essential to maintain the orderly character of communities and that signs of deterioration is to be dealt with immediately

These the only ones I know off the top of my head! I will probably edit it later when I finished the Unit!

Latest

Trending

Trending