The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by A___s02
I think for beliefs, the 33 marker could be:
-secularisation
-globalisation
-science
These 3 haven't come up after 2013

They could potentially ask about social change as the last time it came up was in 2013

I am ready :colonhash:.
I just want these to be over and done with already omg

Original post by Uw0tm8_
how would you structure this Q (as a 33marker):
Assess the sociological explanations of the relationship between globalisation and religion?

Would you include things like:
- Meera Nanda
- Pentecostalism
- Confucianism
- Fundamentalism
- Cultural defence/migration
- Existential sec theory
- clash of civilisation

Yes your plan is definitely perfect!!! For the Nanda point, I spoke about how religion was linked with economic development and referred to Weber with hi theodicy about Calvinism (how it brought about modern capitalism in society when the workers invested money in businesses to make profits, not spending on luxuries etc. etc.). Then said that there are more up-to-date examples that show how religion and economical development complement each other rather than hinder. Talk about scientifically-educated, urban middle class assumed to abandon Hinduism for scientific and rational worldview and you oppose it by bringing in Nanda. :smile:

Original post by HediIsLord
And religious market no? Potentially include examples too, i.e. development of Fundamentalism in response to 'Americanisation', Ayatollah Khomeini and Iran

Holistic Milieu and the growth of NRMs given the influence of technology and media?

For the fundamentalism I usually mention Islamic state (oppose modernity but ironically use modern methods to spread their message) or young male muslims reasserting their faith after considering British foreign policies regarding Afghanistan and Iran as being Islamophobic.
Reply 1181
Original post by A___s02
My predictions for crime and deviance are:
Labelling
Suicide

Predictions for theories:
Modernity/Globalisation
Social Policy

Thanks. Is this a teacher's predictions?
Original post by soora
Has anyone made any predictions for unit 3 Mass media??
I don't think anyones done any, I tired going through the past papers but couldn't come up with anything :frown:
would really appreciate some Help

Looking for the same answer D;
Proper stressed out about this exam!
Original post by thecatwithnohat

Yes your plan is definitely perfect!!! For the Nanda point, I spoke about how religion was linked with economic development and referred to Weber with hi theodicy about Calvinism (how it brought about modern capitalism in society when the workers invested money in businesses to make profits, not spending on luxuries etc. etc.). Then said that there are more up-to-date examples that show how religion and economical development complement each other rather than hinder. Talk about scientifically-educated, urban middle class assumed to abandon Hinduism for scientific and rational worldview and you oppose it by bringing in Nanda. :smile:

For the fundamentalism I usually mention Islamic state (oppose modernity but ironically use modern methods to spread their message) or young male muslims reasserting their faith after considering British foreign policies regarding Afghanistan and Iran as being Islamophobic.

:congrats: thats such a good example
Im thinking some sort of representation gender or sexuality or disability. Globalisation and new media. What about you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ukhti18
Im thinking some sort of representation gender or sexuality or disability. Globalisation and new media. What about you

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've prepared essays for gender, sexuality, ethnicity and age.
As well as globalisation.. I hope moral panics comes up for a 9 or 18 marker though D;

What do you think will come up for the 9 or 18 marker?

legend
Original post by Ackland77
I've prepared essays for gender, sexuality, ethnicity and age.
As well as globalisation.. I hope moral panics comes up for a 9 or 18 marker though D;

What do you think will come up for the 9 or 18 marker?

I hope something about high and popular culture or the view on new media. Nothing too hard. 9 marker maybe on news values or something like that.
And yeah, moral panics as an 18 marker would be great.

Im just trying to cram crime and deviance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ukhti18
I hope something about high and popular culture or the view on new media. Nothing too hard. 9 marker maybe on news values or something like that.
And yeah, moral panics as an 18 marker would be great.

Im just trying to cram crime and deviance

Posted from TSR Mobile

Any question on news values or media control would be fab!
Yeah same here, just trying to focus more on Crime because there is so much content D;

I was wondering if you could send me your notes for globalisation and fundamentalism i dont really have much on these
Original post by Uw0tm8_
how would you structure this Q (as a 33marker):
Assess the sociological explanations of the relationship between globalisation and religion?

Would you include things like:
- Meera Nanda
- Pentecostalism
- Confucianism
- Fundamentalism
- Cultural defence/migration
- Existential sec theory
- clash of civilisation

Could you give me some notes on globalisation and fundamentalism im really short on this area and worried an essay might come up and im under prepared
Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM
Could you give me some notes on globalisation and fundamentalism im really short on this area and worried an essay might come up and im under prepared

Yeah hold up i'll send you the revision booklet i made for beliefs in society :smile:
The theory and methods section is stressing me out, I don't understand it D:

How would you answer:

Assess the extent to which theories of modernity are relevant to understanding contemporary society
Original post by Uw0tm8_
Yeah hold up i'll send you the revision booklet i made for beliefs in society :smile:

Thank you so much!
Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM
Thank you so much!

PM me your email
Im really stressing about social change and conflict. I cant seem to find any notes on it and the book is useless. Can anyone give me a breakdown of it or what i should include in an essay?
Original post by examsloth
Im really stressing about social change and conflict. I cant seem to find any notes on it and the book is useless. Can anyone give me a breakdown of it or what i should include in an essay?

do you mean religion as a source of social change/conflict? if so, then i would include stuff like:
Max weber - protestant reformation
Bruce - social protest - MLK - black civil rights movement
Fundamentalism
Liberation theology
Globalisation
Original post by Uw0tm8_
PM me your email

Done!
Original post by Uw0tm8_
do you mean religion as a source of social change/conflict? if so, then i would include stuff like:
Max weber - protestant reformation
Bruce - social protest - MLK - black civil rights movement
Fundamentalism
Liberation theology
Globalisation

Thanks!!!
Is this okay for an essay plan for this question? Or is there anything else I could include... I think its probably all I could write in the time limit though!

‘Religion is still the most significant ideological influence in the world today.’ To what extent do sociological arguments and evidence support this view?

Religion is just changing believing without belonging, spiritual shopping etc

Believing without belonging people still believe but they don’t go to church might not have time, want to worship privately (religion has become more privatised), vicarious religion small number of clergy practice religion on behalf of larger number of people, for example, people use church for important rites of passage (getting married, christening etc) but don’t regularly attend.

Spiritual shopping there is a greater variety of beliefs in society today because ethnic minorities have brought their religion with them when they transition into the new culture, more diversity for people to pick from, pick and mix religion pick and choose the aspects that suit them Leger says they are consumers in a religious market.

Relocation of religion due to globalisation society has become more interconnected, time-space compression gives easy access to things that used to be hard to access eg. the media have taken religions out of their original context and moved them to a different place (televangelism), religion is becoming deinstitutionalised but still significant for people.

Declining church numbers since the 1857 census number of people going to church has fallen from 40% to around 10-15% in the 1960s, attendance and membership of large religious organisations (CofE) has fallen and is expected to fall further state has taken over functions that used to be performed by religion schooling etc so religion is not viewed as important today schools meant to have daily acts of collective worship but only a few abide by this rule not a significant ideological influence.

Second generation decline religion is not being passed on from generation to generation any more, age of people going to church is growing and not attracting the young, parents may let child decide what they believe, Voas and Crockett called this the generational effect 2/5 churches have no one under the age of 11 in their congregation

Impact of science science has had huge impact such as eradicating once fatal illnesses, economic productivity and standard of living has increased faith in science has grown, also decreased in recent years, things like global warming and pollution seen to be result of science BUT both good and bad aspects demonstrate cognitive power science can predict, explain and control events in ways that other belief systems cannot

The italics is the for argument and the normal is the against :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending