The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

it would be a models and effects question so like explain the effects the mass media have on their audience, you would compare it to the two step flow, cultural flows etc and if audience rejects or accepts messages
does anyone know what the questions were for the paper that got stolen last year for the crime section?
Original post by 06052008
does anyone know what the questions were for the paper that got stolen last year for the crime section?

assess the usefulness of Marxist theories to our understanding of both crime and law enforcement (21)

assess sociological explanations of why some groups are more likely than others to be victims of crimes (21)
if the 33 marker on SCLY4 is pure theory such as functionalist view to our understanding of society do we include their methods used such as positivism and why or no.
if so how much
thanks in advance
Original post by disneyprincessx
assess the usefulness of Marxist theories to our understanding of both crime and law enforcement (21)

assess sociological explanations of why some groups are more likely than others to be victims of crimes (21)

do you know the questions for stratification and differentiation part
if so could you please let me know.
thanks
HI ^.^

I'm doing SCLY3 Mass Media and need help with this essay plan - I do not know why but I am being an abolute brain dead idiot with this.

I'm doing an essay on the New Media and Globalisation (would that be a 18 or 33 marker?)

So far I've done:
intro (new media and globalisation)
main 3 paragraphs are on New media (what is it, characteristics and then the Neophiliacs/Cultural Pessimist view)
Paragraph 4 is what globalisation is... and then I'm going to go into depth (but I feel like I'm repeating myself) and then evaluation globalisation.

But if it's a 21 marker essay then it's definitely too long... My 3 paragraphs are already on 702 words D;

Any help would be fabulous; I'm terrible at this subject
Original post by Sammia
do you know the questions for stratification and differentiation part
if so could you please let me know.
thanks

assess the usefulness of Marxist theories to our understanding of stratification (21)

assess sociological explanations of gender differences in life chances (21)
Thank you!

my teacher has predicted:
representations of ethnicity/disability/sexuality
pluralism
audience models
news
new media

Audience models? goddamn, I HATE that topic and have avoided it and focused on the others...

Is the 'news' the news values? and what marker would it be for? Just news values barely makes a 9 marker essay D;
Original post by Ackland77
HI ^.^

I'm doing SCLY3 Mass Media and need help with this essay plan - I do not know why but I am being an abolute brain dead idiot with this.

I'm doing an essay on the New Media and Globalisation (would that be a 18 or 33 marker?)

So far I've done:
intro (new media and globalisation)
main 3 paragraphs are on New media (what is it, characteristics and then the Neophiliacs/Cultural Pessimist view)
Paragraph 4 is what globalisation is... and then I'm going to go into depth (but I feel like I'm repeating myself) and then evaluation globalisation.

But if it's a 21 marker essay then it's definitely too long... My 3 paragraphs are already on 702 words D;

Any help would be fabulous; I'm terrible at this subject

i'd say it may be a 33 marker as there are 6 things you can talk about

I would recommend explaining what globalisaton is as your introduction and then write your paragraphs on:
Strinati - high culture
Flew - new media technologies
Ritzer - McDonaldisation
Fenton - cultural imperialism and cultural homogenisation and cocacolanisation
Putnam - civic disengagement
Cohen and Kennedy - cultural pessimists

Hope this helps!!!
Also, does everyone doing mass media think it would be a good idea to start a whatsapp chat so we can help each other out on there because not many people seem to be doing this topic???

YASSSSS 1000X TIMES YES!
I am SO stressed over this exam omfg
Audience models? goddamn, I HATE that topic and have avoided it and focused on the others...

Is the 'news' the news values? and what marker would it be for? Just news values barely makes a 9 marker essay D;

I am so confident on the hypodermic syringe model so i really hope that comes up hahaha

I think it's news in the new media, but i'm not 100% sure, it may be news values for an 18 marker or social construction of news
i'd say it may be a 33 marker as there are 6 things you can talk about

I would recommend explaining what globalisaton is as your introduction and then write your paragraphs on:
Strinati - high culture
Flew - new media technologies
Ritzer - McDonaldisation
Fenton - cultural imperialism and cultural homogenisation and cocacolanisation
Putnam - civic disengagement
Cohen and Kennedy - cultural pessimists

Hope this helps!!!

Thank you!
My into has both New Media and Globalisation definitions.
Shall I talk about New Media first/info/evaluate and then do the same for global?
YASSSSS 1000X TIMES YES!
I am SO stressed over this exam omfg

you're literally the only one who's said yes hahaha, but DM me your number and i'll start a chat with you, so we can help each other out, because I could also do with the help!!!
I am so confident on the hypodermic syringe model so i really hope that comes up hahaha

I think it's news in the new media, but i'm not 100% sure, it may be news values for an 18 marker or social construction of news

God that's another 4 essays to write about :')
Yeah I've wrote an essay on social construction of the news... I really want this exam to be over
Reply 1594
Predictions for beliefs?
Thank you!
My into has both New Media and Globalisation definitions.
Shall I talk about New Media first/info/evaluate and then do the same for global?

I think my essay had a mixture throughout but yeah you can do it like that!
Hi I think it would be a 33 marker like an assess the impact of globalisation on the new media, there is loads to talk about I would do
cultural pessimist/ neopheliac
contrast to Marxist view of threat to indigenous cultures, reproduce capitalist TNCs
Web 2.0 and impact of new technologies, e.g user generated content and the public sphere- habermass
link- postmodern view, pick and mix culture, high culture and low combined,
Marxist- cultural imperialism could link in models and effects 'drugging it's audiences'
sorry if this seems complicated ! but I got an A* for an essay on this
Original post by ellaimw
Hey, i was just wondering whether the 'Africanisation' of Christianity could be considered an example of 'spiritual shopping' as well as a product of religious globalisation.

I think this might be more in line with pentacostalism.......
assess the usefulness of Marxist theories to our understanding of stratification (21)

assess sociological explanations of gender differences in life chances (21)

Thanks and 15 marker:tongue:
Original post by ErikaJ
Predictions for beliefs?

secularisation
religion as a force for change vs conservative
functionalism
cults/sects (but sects did come up last year)

these are my top 4 guesses

Latest

Trending

Trending