The Student Room Group

(OCR) A2 English Literature *F663* | 2016 Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by princess123456
anybody doing midsummer nights dreamm

I'm doing 'A Midsummer Night's Dream' :smile: How are you finding it?
Original post by cassidyjjoy
AS Grade: A
A2 Personal Target Grade: A*
Section A: The Tempest
Section B: The White Devil and Paradise Lost

anyone have any tips for close analysis of language in the tempest, or any other shakespeare text? I have the worst memory for quotes and wondered if there was any way around it!

also is anyone doing the white devil? like, at all?? :tongue:

I'm doing the white devil too! Along with the poetry of Blake:smile:
AS Grade: B
A2 Personal Target Grade: A
Section A: Antony and Cleopatra
Section B: The White Devil and William Blake
Reply 83
Original post by cassidyjjoy
A2 Personal Target Grade: A*
Section B: The White Devil and Paradise Lost

anyone have any tips for close analysis of language in the tempest, or any other shakespeare text? I have the worst memory for quotes and wondered if there was any way around it!

also is anyone doing the white devil? like, at all?? :tongue:

hi!! i'm doing both the white devil and paradise lost book 9 for the comparative essay
A2 Personal Target Grade: B
Section A: Probably King Lear
Section B: ?

Somebody help me! I skipped most of my White Devil classes at school, the characterisation is garbage (Flamineo - seriously?) and the plot is a total mess. So I had an epiphany that I should learn a different play but they're all new to me. If you've read Volpone, TisPityShesaWhore, or TheRivals, could you let me know if it's any good and which poem you'll be comparing it to. Thanks!
Original post by King_Iarbas
A2 Personal Target Grade: B
Section A: Probably King Lear
Section B: ?

Somebody help me! I skipped most of my White Devil classes at school, the characterisation is garbage (Flamineo - seriously?) and the plot is a total mess. So I had an epiphany that I should learn a different play but they're all new to me. If you've read Volpone, TisPityShesaWhore, or TheRivals, could you let me know if it's any good and which poem you'll be comparing it to. Thanks!

The Rivals is good, I found it easy to read and genuinely entertaining! I'm comparing it to WoB but finding it a bit challenging, then again comparison is not my favourite thing to do!
AS Grade: C (Resitting the exam as I was very poorly and on lots of painkillers when I did it...led to some very "insightful" comments :P)
A2 Personal Target Grade: A
Section B: The White Devil and Andrew Marvell Poetry
Reply 87
For Section A (Tempest, King Lear, etc.), what should the balance be between analysing the text and critical opinions? 50/50? I'm leaning towards 75/25 but I'm not sure what the mark scheme prefers
Reply 88
Is anyone doing A Midsummer Nights Dream
Or The White Devil with Blake?
Reply 89
Original post by aliceb97
hi!! i'm doing both the white devil and paradise lost book 9 for the comparative essay

Hey! I'm doing The White Devil with Blake!
Do you know of any predictions that might come up this year?
Also, how are you finding the comparision between them?
Reply 90
Original post by princess123456
anybody doing midsummer nights dreamm

Hey, yes I am doing it! How are you finding it? Also, do you know of any predicted questions that we may be faced with?
Original post by Mood97
Hey, yes I am doing it! How are you finding it? Also, do you know of any predicted questions that we may be faced with?

I'm doing Dream :smile: I've really loved studying it, it's such a beautiful play. Not sure about predictions, but they asked about Oberon and love in a previous paper. This year I think it could be something about dreaming, or perhaps the dark side or eroticism of the play because I've read a lot about that. There has only been two past papers where it's been a set text though so it could be anything!
AS grade: A
Personal target: A
Section A: The Tempest (aka Shakespeare's most boring play)
Section B: Paradise Lost Book 9 + The White Devil (MUCH more interesting!)
Original post by Ellismall
The Rivals is good, I found it easy to read and genuinely entertaining! I'm comparing it to WoB but finding it a bit challenging, then again comparison is not my favourite thing to do!

I was looking at the synopses on wikipedia and TheRivals did sound the most appealing. Have you read the WoB in its original form?
Is anyone doing Volpone and Wife of Bath as the comparative? Please tell me my school isn't the only one that's silly enough to compare these?!
Original post by King_Iarbas
I was looking at the synopses on wikipedia and TheRivals did sound the most appealing. Have you read the WoB in its original form?

It is a good play, it's funny and lighthearted but there's a lot of interesting themes to look at such as love, marriage, artifice, class system etc and yes, I'm reading WoB in its original form. I did the merchants tale for my coursework so I'm getting used to chaucer's language! :smile:
Original post by Ellismall
It is a good play, it's funny and lighthearted but there's a lot of interesting themes to look at such as love, marriage, artifice, class system etc and yes, I'm reading WoB in its original form. I did the merchants tale for my coursework so I'm getting used to chaucer's language! :smile:

That's actually quite refreshing to hear, I also did the merchant's tale for CW and nobody else read it right - it's poetry fgs. I'll probably go ahead and do WoB and Rivals because I'm resitting Frankenstein and Yeats, doing Lear, I actually kind of need something 'lighthearted' haha
Any good revision sources for Midsummers night dream? Need help :frown:
Original post by aliceb97

hi! how do you feel about comparing them?? there's so much more content and variety in the white devil! but yay, people actually suffering through Webster and Milton with us :smile:
Original post by thecatwithnohat

(OCR) A2 ENGLISH LITERATURE OFFICIAL THREAD

This thread has now been added to the A Level Directory Thread, which you can find here. :parrot: Let me know if there are any other exam thread I've missed, and good luck in your exams!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending