The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Physics at Exeter 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by captainslow69
What made you guys think Exeter? At first I wanted to apply because it looked a good insurance but I then began to hate the place. Tiny campus, way too overrated and looks like my idea of hell.

You don't make any sense. Tiny campus? Your first choice is Bath which is about 40% of the size( and most of their building crammed together around the cement walkway) of the 350 acres Exeter campus.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Original post by Film
You don't make any sense. Tiny campus? Your first choice is Bath which is about 40% of the size( and most of their building crammed together around the cement walkway) of the 350 acres Exeter campus.

True but at the same time when I visited Bath I just fell in love with the place top quality teaching and connections with industry, Bristol is 20 mins away, and it's not full of Oxbridge rejects full of themselves.I think it's 3rd best after Imperial and Cambridge for Physics in my opinion. When I went to Exeter I had the same feelings there as I did for UCL and Imperial, I wanted to kill myself. UCL because it has a terrible Physics and Engineering department and Imperial has the social vibe of 90 year old nans funeral but top class teaching and degree.
Hi!

I have an interview at Exeter for MPhys in about a weeks time, so nervous :/
Reply 23
Original post by CapitalC
Hi!

Nothing to be nervous about... i went on my own last week, interviews the best part. Its more of a conversation, very informal. gl
Original post by wondum
Nothing to be nervous about... i went on my own last week, interviews the best part. Its more of a conversation, very informal. gl

Ah great.. In the email it says during the interview I'll be expected to work through a problem with a member of academic staff? What's that about?
And thanks!
Reply 25
Ah great.. In the email it says during the interview I'll be expected to work through a problem with a member of academic staff? What's that about?
And thanks!

They will ask you a question and give you hints towards the answer, they wont ask you anything crazy, its just to check you actually know a bit of physics and can work well with someone helping you through a problem.
Original post by Lilli1997
I'm hoping to do physics with astrophysics there and have an interview on Saturday.

Me too! What are you doing to prepare? I'm pretty nervous about the whole thing atm.
Original post by wondum
They will ask you a question and give you hints towards the answer, they wont ask you anything crazy, its just to check you actually know a bit of physics and can work well with someone helping you through a problem.

What kind of things were people wearing? I've heard conflicting reports, some people say its best to wear what you're comfortable with (jeans and a hoodie for me) others recomend a shirt.
Reply 28
Original post by Comandolf
What kind of things were people wearing? I've heard conflicting reports, some people say its best to wear what you're comfortable with (jeans and a hoodie for me) others recomend a shirt.

I think what you are comfortable in, they really dont give a **** what you wear. Most people were casual/smart casual. Dont dress like a pikey
Reply 29
Where else did you apply for Physics and what replies and conditions have you received?

Exeter - AAA or ABB with a pass on my EPQ.. (offer received around mid Dec)
Bristol - AAB or ABB with a pass on my EPQ.. (offer received around mid Nov - however I had a guaranteed offer so I knew I'd be offered a place from July)
Warwick - A*AA.. (offer received around mid Oct)
Bath - A*AA.. (offer received around late Oct)
Oxford - rejected, but after my interview day at Exeter I realised I actually preferred Exeter to Oxford (Exeter feels 'safer' to me, being a campus uni and all, and I felt more comfortable looking around Exeter than I did looking around Oxford on this shadowing day I went to) so I'm really not fussed about the rejection :biggrin:
Original post by Enirbsille
Exeter - AAA or ABB with a pass on my EPQ.. (offer received around mid Dec)
Bristol - AAB or ABB with a pass on my EPQ.. (offer received around mid Nov - however I had a guaranteed offer so I knew I'd be offered a place from July)
Warwick - A*AA.. (offer received around mid Oct)
Bath - A*AA.. (offer received around late Oct)
Oxford - rejected, but after my interview day at Exeter I realised I actually preferred Exeter to Oxford (Exeter feels 'safer' to me, being a campus uni and all, and I felt more comfortable looking around Exeter than I did looking around Oxford on this shadowing day I went to) so I'm really not fussed about the rejection :biggrin:

I have a friend who got 4 As at AS level and very high UMS and is predicted 3A*s and an A in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry respectively and he got rejected by Cambridge for Physics. He wasn't even offered an interview, very very strange. Got my offer from Bath yesterday night for A*AA :biggrin: don't even care about the rest.
Reply 31
I have a friend who got 4 As at AS level and very high UMS and is predicted 3A*s and an A in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry respectively and he got rejected by Cambridge for Physics. He wasn't even offered an interview, very very strange. Got my offer from Bath yesterday night for A*AA :biggrin: don't even care about the rest.

Oxbridge admissions process is so flawed, imo. Making everyone sit a timed exam is not representive of everyone's ability. there are people that have disabilities that mean they have poor organisation, poor timekeeping, poor concentration etc. and all of those do not end well in exams XD I don't think it's a fair way to decide who gets interviewed because there are people out there, no doubt smart enough to get in, that get rejected due to the exams XD

congrats for the Bath offer!:smile:
Reply 32
Original post by wondum
Goodluck, just got an offer today (AAB)

Blehh I still haven't got an offer! My interview was almost a month ago now! Congrats on yours though :smile:

I don't have the faintest why but all my universities seem to be taking forever to get back to me. Like I just recieved Cardiff (AAA) after sending an email asking them because they were meant to have responded within 4 weeks and it had been over 8!

And that was only the second offer I've had! I'm still waiting on Southampton and Birmingham (and obviously Exeter). Anyone else having similar problems?
Reply 33
Hi!

Me too! What are you doing to prepare? I'm pretty nervous about the whole thing atm.

How'd your interview go guys? Heard anything back yet?
Original post by owlnerd
How'd your interview go guys? Heard anything back yet?

Went very well thanks, i got the most laid back interviewer ever so i needn't have worried at all. I haven't gotten an offer back yet, but on the letter they sent out after the interview they said the guy was impressed with me, whatever that means.
What about you, got an offer yet?
Reply 35
Went very well thanks, i got the most laid back interviewer ever so i needn't have worried at all. I haven't gotten an offer back yet, but on the letter they sent out after the interview they said the guy was impressed with me, whatever that means.
What about you, got an offer yet?

Yeah, the interviewers are really lovely, most friendly interview ever~

No offer yet! I'm getting quite impatient with all of my universities (See minor rant in post above) As I said, it's been almost a month since my interview, and I got a similar letter (I thought the hand written bit was a very nice touch) but still no offer :frown:

I happened to meet someone from the same interview day at Exeter on a similar day in Southampton last Saturday, he said he'd received an offer already. I don't know whether I should be worried or not :/
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by owlnerd
Blehh I still haven't got an offer! My interview was almost a month ago now! Congrats on yours though :smile:

I don't have the faintest why but all my universities seem to be taking forever to get back to me. Like I just recieved Cardiff (AAA) after sending an email asking them because they were meant to have responded within 4 weeks and it had been over 8!

And that was only the second offer I've had! I'm still waiting on Southampton and Birmingham (and obviously Exeter). Anyone else having similar problems?

Oh man yeah Cardiff took ages, I just received an AAA offer from them as well. I received an email to go to one of the Southampton interviews but I never replied so they phoned me up asking about it, to which I said I wasn't going to attend (he said i can still receive an offer though). I'm pretty sure Exeter are still sending out offers so i wouldn't be too worried about it, and Southampton seem to be a bit behind in terms of handing out offers.

I think I spotted you on the open day sitting front row on the right side of the room, unless that was some other frizzy haired person :P
Reply 37
Original post by wondum
Oh man yeah Cardiff took ages, I just received an AAA offer from them as well. I received an email to go to one of the Southampton interviews but I never replied so they phoned me up asking about it, to which I said I wasn't going to attend (he said I can still receive an offer though). I'm pretty sure Exeter are still sending out offers so I wouldn't be too worried about it, and Southampton seem to be a bit behind in terms of handing out offers.

I think I spotted you on the open day sitting front row on the right side of the room, unless that was some other frizzy haired person :P

Oh, that does make me feel better. I went to Southampton on Saturday, do let me know if you hear from them.

Ahah quite possibly! Exeter was too long ago to remember where I sat although with the percentage of female applicants on physics courses, I'd say the chances are pretty likely it was me :smile:
Original post by owlnerd
Yeah, the interviewers are really lovely, most friendly interview ever~

No offer yet! I'm getting quite impatient with all of my universities (See minor rant in post above) As I said, it's been almost a month since my interview, and I got a similar letter (I thought the hand written bit was a very nice touch) but still no offer :frown:

I happened to meet someone from the same interview day at Exeter on a similar day in Southampton last Saturday, he said he'd received an offer already. I don't know whether I should be worried or not :/

I dont think you have to worry, my friend waited 2 months for edinburgh to give him am offer, whereas they gave me one within 2 weeks. Its all a bit random.
Reply 39
Maybe they read my complaining because I finally got an offer from Exeter! A*AB (with A/A* in maths/physics of course).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending