The Student Room Group

Retaking final year of uni-Apparnelty you have to pay??!

My friend was unable to take her final year exams last year due to her mother unexpectedly passing away. Obviously she wants to take them this year. Now the uni seemed like they didn't really know what they were doing regarding her situation; whether she'd take the exams in the January period, or May/June period, or in August, and also they were unsure of whether she'd be an external candidate or not. So a few months ago they let her know it'd be in the summer. But now she's telling me she might not be able to take her exams at all because apparently she's being charged 7,000 for the semester. Does this make any sense to you guys? She's obviously had a lot to deal with lately and I'm hoping she's just a bit confused? Baring in mind she's Welsh so only pays 3,000 a year. I'm also worried because she's been so deflated and I just don't want her to give uni up after all her hard work. :frown:
You get funding for degree + 1 year, has she resat a year before?
Reply 2
Original post by TunaTunnel
You get funding for degree + 1 year, has she resat a year before?

No, but her financial situation regarding loans is complicated. My real question though is that I don't think one has to pay for a full taught semester when resiting final year exams because of extenuating circumstances? I've read online that when sitting an exam externally you only have to pay the price of the resit. Now the uni were going to put her in externally but I think they changed their mind and made it so that she'd be able to attend lectures... would this be the cause of her having to pay 7,000? (Which as a figure makes no sense anyway?!). And if that is the case that would be unfair because they've given her no choice and no information regarding the cost? Thanks for your help x
Reply 3
Original post by Twinpeaks
No, but her financial situation regarding loans is complicated. My real question though is that I don't think one has to pay for a full taught semester when resiting final year exams because of extenuating circumstances? I've read online that when sitting an exam externally you only have to pay the price of the resit. Now the uni were going to put her in externally but I think they changed their mind and made it so that she'd be able to attend lectures... would this be the cause of her having to pay 7,000? (Which as a figure makes no sense anyway?!). And if that is the case that would be unfair because they've given her no choice and no information regarding the cost? Thanks for your help x

I don't know the specifics of the Welsh system, but in England a retaking/resitting student's fee status would be determined by the uni. Your friend would be best advised to check back with the uni as to what is expected of her and whether this is negotiable. Paying a tuition fee would imply to me that she's expected to attend lectures, rather than just taking exams.
Reply 4
Original post by Klix88
. Paying a tuition fee would imply to me that she's expected to attend lectures, rather than just taking exams.

That's what I feared. But does it not make little sense?! Her mum suddenly died of cancer 2 weeks before term ended. All lectures and tutorials prior to this attended, all essays handed in, revision started. There's no reason whatsoever for her to have to pay for another term. She has extenuating circumstances, and should be able to retake the exams. IF there was the possibility of simply retaking the exams rather than paying for a semester, she should have been given the choice. No one has explained to her what her situation is with doing her exams this year, I literally went down with her to the admin office in November to find out when she was taking the exams and they seemed to know nothing and work out her situation on the spot. It's so frustrating because I can just see her giving up and everything going to waste. :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by Twinpeaks
That's what I feared. But does it not make little sense?! Her mum suddenly died of cancer 2 weeks before term ended. All lectures and tutorials prior to this attended, all essays handed in, revision started. There's no reason whatsoever for her to have to pay for another term. She has extenuating circumstances, and should be able to retake the exams. IF there was the possibility of simply retaking the exams rather than paying for a semester, she should have been given the choice. No one has explained to her what her situation is with doing her exams this year, I literally went down with her to the admin office in November to find out when she was taking the exams and they seemed to know nothing and work out her situation on the spot. It's so frustrating because I can just see her giving up and everything going to waste. :frown:

She should probably now talk to her course leader rather than the admin staff. Admin folks won't be taking an academic view, where her course leader will and may be able to help change the decision on her status.
Reply 6
Hi

I am sorry that your friend is going through all this. Please help by advising her to call Student finance and ask for compelling personal reasons (CPR). She will be funded for an extra year.

Hope this helps
Reply 7
Original post by 24rose5
Hi

I am sorry that your friend is going through all this. Please help by advising her to call Student finance and ask for compelling personal reasons (CPR). She will be funded for an extra year.

Hope this helps

Thank you, that is immensely helpful xx
I've not heard of this before either. The advice you've been given here about compelling personal reasons, etc. seems to be right. I know you can't resit and expect student finance to fund your final year just because you want a better mark.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending