The Student Room Group

Social Work Applicants 2016!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Parkerpenny
Hi guys.

So, to recap:
I asked the Uni to check my qualifications (3 times!) before I applied so that I wasn't wasting time and emotions. I was told I would be considered. Great!

Yesterday I got a rejection based on not meeting academic criteria.

I am so confused and devastated.

I have spoken to them for feedback and they said its due to my BTEC (which is what i queried with them 3 times and was told I would be considered) I have emails from the uni which say the same.

I have been asked to email them into the tutor. Now I am just waiting but their tone didn't fill me with any confidence that they would change their decision. I didn't even make an interview. I am so embarrassed and devastated.

All my spare time is dedicated to reading, looking at community are emails every day! Books Horner, Lishman, case reviews, Theories etc etc. What do I do now..... I am so lost!

I really really don't get it.

Sorry to rant. Advice please xx

Hi Parkerpenny, my friend applied to Trent and was rejected without being offered an interview, she too has a Diploma (BTEC) and has worked in secure childrens units for over 10 years & is also an emergency foster carer. At their open day they told her she has more than enough qualifications ans experience to be offered a place on the SW degree but then backtracked after she applied and said she doesn't qualify because her BTEC doesn't give her enough level 3 UCAS points and offerered her health & social care degree instead (even though you need the same amount of points for each degree) very odd!!! She was offered an interview at Derby and has been accepted to start in Sept based on experience. Some uni's are very particular, especially as the degree is so sought after. Maybe try another Uni?
Reply 181
Original post by melsybeans
I had an interview there yesterday it was a lot more chilled out than what I expected, there was 6 questions which were fairly okay, I'd say you need to know motivation for social work, coping with stress, teamwork example, social work values. The interview was a one on one which I was really surprised about. The written test you get given on the day it's a case study about a family who are experiencing problems, then you pick out the main issues and explain what you would do as a social worker. When's your interview ??? 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok thankyou! I have managed to read most of that up already, was there anything about current issues in social work? it's on wednesday i'm so nervous! What was the group task like?
Original post by laurie3105
Hi Parkerpenny, my friend applied to Trent and was rejected without being offered an interview, she too has a Diploma (BTEC) and has worked in secure childrens units for over 10 years & is also an emergency foster carer. At their open day they told her she has more than enough qualifications ans experience to be offered a place on the SW degree but then backtracked after she applied and said she doesn't qualify because her BTEC doesn't give her enough level 3 UCAS points and offerered her health & social care degree instead (even though you need the same amount of points for each degree) very odd!!! She was offered an interview at Derby and has been accepted to start in Sept based on experience. Some uni's are very particular, especially as the degree is so sought after. Maybe try another Uni?

Thanks hun. Cant apply to another uni. Cant relocate as i have kids and mortgage etc. :-( So unfair
Thanks hun. Cant apply to another uni. Cant relocate as i have kids and mortgage etc. :-( So unfair
hello Parker penny, have you got a job in a relevant sector to social work? If so, have you thought about doing it with open learning? It's online.x
Original post by rachpill
hello Parker penny, have you got a job in a relevant sector to social work? If so, have you thought about doing it with open learning? It's online.x

Hey,

I am a special needs teaching assistant........so yes in some respects but no massively in others. I have huge amount of life experience relating to SW though. And from home isn't for me, I find it really hard to work like that unfortunately. I need to be in a learning environment, but thanks for the advice hun.
Hi guys.

So, to recap:
I asked the Uni to check my qualifications (3 times!) before I applied so that I wasn't wasting time and emotions. I was told I would be considered. Great!

Yesterday I got a rejection based on not meeting academic criteria.

I am so confused and devastated.

I have spoken to them for feedback and they said its due to my BTEC (which is what i queried with them 3 times and was told I would be considered) I have emails from the uni which say the same.

I have been asked to email them into the tutor. Now I am just waiting but their tone didn't fill me with any confidence that they would change their decision. I didn't even make an interview. I am so embarrassed and devastated.

All my spare time is dedicated to reading, looking at community are emails every day! Books Horner, Lishman, case reviews, Theories etc etc. What do I do now..... I am so lost!

I really really don't get it.

Sorry to rant. Advice please xx

I am going to message you x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone had a interview for Leeds uni, I have mine on the 11th
Original post by bethaaaanie
I am going to message you x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with me. That was so kind x x x I am so sorry that you have had to go through it! AND i can totally relate x x
I applied to RGU in Aberdeen for Social Work. I've got my interview tomorrow and I'm so nervous!
Anyone heard anything from Swansea yet?x

Theyre only now screening applications. You can ring them to find out the position of your application
I'm stressing out so much about the writting an essay in the written test for my interview at Bucks

Some of my tutors have said I should aim to write around 1200-2000 words which I've found hard to do some are saying 300-600 is enough anyone have any idea about this?

We've been given no guidance other than what the topic is.

They contacted me for additional info today and said my application was being processed. I have no clue when they'll be inviting for interviews/rejecting though.

😁 Not much longer though I hope
Original post by Fraser268
Hi everyone, I've applied to Cardiff and Swansea, got an interview for Cardiff on 15th Feb 😬

I've got an interview on the 26th Feb for Cardiff. How did yours go??
Original post by SeraY_1979

I've only just seen this, sorry!! It was okay, still waiting to hear and the wait is driving me mad lol! The written test took 45 mins and we were allowed to keep the news article with us to refer to. Then it was a 4.5 hr wait (zzzzz....) for the interview. There were two of them, a lecturer from Bridgend campus and a social worker from camarthen. It was quite informal. There were only about half a dozen questions; why do I want to be a SW and what can I bring to the profession, what qualities would a service user expect from a SW, and codes of practice. I can't remember the others, sorry. I felt like I kept repeating myself as all the answers were very similar 😕 They said we'll find out by the end of Feb. Good luck for your interview xx
Original post by Charlie59
Hey!! I applied to cardiff 4 weeks ago and havent heard anything yet! Are you applying for undergrad or masters? Good luck with your interview! 😊

Thank you! Have you heard anything yet? I applied for undergrad. The interview went okay, I didn't come away feeling disappointed but I don't think I dazzled them either. Just waiting to hear now, they said by the end of the month but I've just read on here that someone's been offered a place a couple of days ago so I'm thinking the news is not gonna be good 😞 xx
Original post by SeraY_1979

Oh me too!! See you Friday! I feel so unprepared
Original post by Fraser268
I've only just seen this, sorry!! It was okay, still waiting to hear and the wait is driving me mad lol! The written test took 45 mins and we were allowed to keep the news article with us to refer to. Then it was a 4.5 hr wait (zzzzz....) for the interview. There were two of them, a lecturer from Bridgend campus and a social worker from camarthen. It was quite informal. There were only about half a dozen questions; why do I want to be a SW and what can I bring to the profession, what qualities would a service user expect from a SW, and codes of practice. I can't remember the others, sorry. I felt like I kept repeating myself as all the answers were very similar 😕 They said we'll find out by the end of Feb. Good luck for your interview xx

4.5 hours wait!! Omg! My letter says be there for 1.15 on Friday and interview at 2pm. Was there no group discussion then??
Original post by WelshGirlBecca
4.5 hours wait!! Omg! My letter says be there for 1.15 on Friday and interview at 2pm. Was there no group discussion then??

I know, thank God there's a big Tesco opposite so I could go and mooch around in there! No group interview, just the written test and interview itself. There were about 30 of us there, maybe that's why the interviews were spread out over the whole day?
Hi all I have applied to both Cardiff met and usw Newport I had an interview for Cardiff and recieved a rejection 2 days later! I put it down to nerves and being horrendously poorly! I now have an interview at Newport but was looking for some information on newports timetable how many days times etc as Cardiff was my first choice I knew several people there but know absolutely nothing about Newport x

Quick Reply

Latest