The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Swindan
1) Maybe look a bit further than just tonight then? I'm sure if you look through to Wednesday at least you could find some pretty decent odds.

2) It's still £35.22 that you didn't have before :wink:

1. i need to withdraw the money soon so i can pay the rent at the end of the month -_-

2. good point :p: and theres no other returns tonight that comes anywhere near that much

went for it, odds actually went done 0.1 on the laying side, gona count my profits for my first week later :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Swindan
Anyone know what VCBet are like for arbs? Couldn't find much going when I checked the other day, think I'm going to open an account today

VC have alright football and good horse racing odds some of the time.
They're certainly arbable and a pretty decent bookie.

Original post by eugenius 8
sportingbet has such crappy odds :hmpf:

£35.22 out of a SNR £50 free bet is the best i can get with the footy tonight, i might just go for it :s-smilie:

Sportingbet have good horse racing odds but yeah they aren't good for football.
Should've done it on horse racing :wink:
Original post by Wolvarium

Sportingbet have good horse racing odds but yeah they aren't good for football.
Should've done it on horse racing :wink:

ah i did have a quick look in the horsing section but i didnt understand any of it so thought i'd play safe and stick with footy :p: will have to remember that, but will read into the MSE threads a bit more before i start anything else :cool:
Original post by Swindan
Anyone know what VCBet are like for arbs? Couldn't find much going when I checked the other day, think I'm going to open an account today

They're good. You can often find some arbs on there
Original post by eugenius 8
sportingbet has such crappy odds :hmpf:

£35.22 out of a SNR £50 free bet is the best i can get with the footy tonight, i might just go for it :s-smilie:

Look at other sports. Basketball tennis ice hockey etc. If the liquidity is there you can get some decent odds.

Had to place bet on basketball the other night with a certain bookie because their odds are horrendous on football and HR. Almost as bad as Extrabet *shock horror*
Reply 1985
I think I know what you mean.

Betting on teams not to win is called lay betting. Betting exchanges are the only places that allow you to place a lay bet and they all have fixed odds betting.
Basically the main one is betfair, betdaq is also not bad.
Then there are sites like smarkets and WBX.

I reccommend you join either betfair or betdaq if you're going to start matched betting.

I have had a look at Betfair, but all this liability stuff confuses and scares me.

Is it possible to do it on that website that i for example put £1 on a team to not win (or to not loose, depending on how you look at it), and only have the risk of loosing the £1.

I know the odds are not as good, i may only win like 8p for a £1 bet, but i would still like to start doing it.

Many Thanks.
Original post by T.I.
I have had a look at Betfair, but all this liability stuff confuses and scares me.

Is it possible to do it on that website that i for example put £1 on a team to not win (or to not loose, depending on how you look at it), and only have the risk of loosing the £1.

I know the odds are not as good, i may only win like 8p for a £1 bet, but i would still like to start doing it.

Many Thanks.

Minimum bet on betfair is £2. Minimum bet on Betdaq which is the same as betfair without as much liquidity is 50p. You may want to start there if you only want to win pennies. Laying you have a liability so if you lay with £2 lets say, you will spend your stake + the liability so £2 + whatever the liability is. If you back, you only have your stake to pay.
Reply 1987
Original post by T.I.

Many Thanks.

Liability is easier to understand if you think about it the other way round. If you place a £1 bet at odds of 2/1 (or 3.00 in decimal), you'd expect £3 back if you win, your £1 stake, and the £2 winnings. If you lose you bet, you'd expect the bookie to keep your £1 stake.

Now when you make a lay bet, you are just acting as the bookie. So if you lay at £1, you'd be matched with the bettor in the previous paragraph. You either win their £1 stake (minus the commision the exchange takes, 5% at Betfair), or you have to pay them their £2 winnings, your liability is £2.

Hope this clears it up a bit.
Original post by T.I.

Many Thanks.

If you find betfair that difficult the only other option is asian handicaps. So you'd back say Liverpool to win at StanJames, then go to 188bet/pinnacle/sbo/12bet and back Everton +0.5.

That way if Everton win you win at asian site, lose at SJ
If a draw you still win at asian because you backed everton + 0.5.
If liverpool win you lose at asian, win at SJ.

So still risk free and covers all outcomes, but can only be done on close-ish matches where the asians offer the +0.5 market.
Reply 1989
Original post by Jmzie-Coupe
Minimum bet on betfair is £2. Minimum bet on Betdaq which is the same as betfair without as much liquidity is 50p. You may want to start there if you only want to win pennies. Laying you have a liability so if you lay with £2 lets say, you will spend your stake + the liability so £2 + whatever the liability is. If you back, you only have your stake to pay.

Original post by Swindan
Liability is easier to understand if you think about it the other way round. If you place a £1 bet at odds of 2/1 (or 3.00 in decimal), you'd expect £3 back if you win, your £1 stake, and the £2 winnings. If you lose you bet, you'd expect the bookie to keep your £1 stake.

Now when you make a lay bet, you are just acting as the bookie. So if you lay at £1, you'd be matched with the bettor in the previous paragraph. You either win their £1 stake (minus the commision the exchange takes, 5% at Betfair), or you have to pay them their £2 winnings, your liability is £2.

Hope this clears it up a bit.

Original post by EpilepticFridgeBoy
If you find betfair that difficult the only other option is asian handicaps. So you'd back say Liverpool to win at StanJames, then go to 188bet/pinnacle/sbo/12bet and back Everton +0.5.

That way if Everton win you win at asian site, lose at SJ
If a draw you still win at asian because you backed everton + 0.5.
If liverpool win you lose at asian, win at SJ.

So still risk free and covers all outcomes, but can only be done on close-ish matches where the asians offer the +0.5 market.

Is there a website where I dont have to consider the liabilities, where I dont act as the book maker, I just play like i would normally and if i bet my £2, ii just loose my £2 and nothing else, like a normal betting shop?

Thanks.
Original post by T.I.
Is there a website where I dont have to consider the liabilities, where I dont act as the book maker, I just play like i would normally and if i bet my £2, ii just loose my £2 and nothing else, like a normal betting shop?

Thanks.

You can do that on betfair. You can back instead of lay meaning no liability, or just use normal high street bookies. Not sure what you're trying to achieve though. If you read the MSE thread thoroughly, you'll have no concerns.
Reply 1991
Original post by T.I.

Thanks.

Not if you're trying to cover more than 2 outcomes, like Win/Draw/Lose in a football game. If whatever you're betting on only has 2 outcomes, then yes, you can use a normal bookie.

Oh yeah, unless you want to try dutching I think it's called. Seeing as you don't even want to use an exchange though, I wouldn't really think it'd be your cup of tea.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1992
Do Coral sometimes offer more than £40 free bet?
Original post by T.I.

Thanks.

As people have already said, the only option for you is dutching really. Betting on a two outcome game is simplest, backing one outcome on one bookie and one on the other and if the odds are good enough you can make a profit.

However its a lot more effort and if you are only going to be doing tiny bets like £2 I wouldn't see the point. You'd make about £1 a week unless you did it 24/7 and found amazing arbs.
Original post by Xno-
Do Coral sometimes offer more than £40 free bet?

nah not usually.
Sign-ups are going down over time.
I'd take the £40 while its still there
Reply 1995
nah not usually.
Sign-ups are going down over time.
I'd take the £40 while its still there

I found a £60 one for Cheltenham that appears to still be active. Think I'm going to go for this tonight.
Original post by Xno-
I found a £60 one for Cheltenham that appears to still be active. Think I'm going to go for this tonight.

Nice. I only managed to get £20 off coral
Hey i signed up to fixtheodds. If i just click on one of the offers, will it be clear what I have to do, as in do they provide all the things i need? If not what should i do first? thanks.
Reply 1998
Original post by Jmzie-Coupe
Nice. I only managed to get £20 off coral

Hmm... they have only credited me £25. I wonder if they will honour the whole £60, trying to contact them.

Original post by Tranquilize
Hey i signed up to fixtheodds. If i just click on one of the offers, will it be clear what I have to do, as in do they provide all the things i need? If not what should i do first? thanks.

In a way it is clear, however you might run into problems and due to lack of understanding mess up. I suggest you read about matched betting first, and ensure you understand the concepts before starting any offers through FTO.
Reply 1999
Original post by Xno-
Hmm... they have only credited me £25. I wonder if they will honour the whole £60, trying to contact them.

Can't see it happening, any link I click on regarding the £60 Cheltenham free bet takes me through to an updated page with the £25 free bet on. Never know though I guess. Think I might do that £25 offer now :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending