The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jampolo
hmm, how much money in a week can one expect to make a week from matched betting?

£100+ for the first week and then decreases over subsequent weeks, unless you treat GIOLing and its methods as a full time job in which case a consistent £150+/week.
Original post by Dekota-XS
£100+ for the first week and then decreases over subsequent weeks, unless you treat GIOLing and its methods as a full time job in which case a consistent £150+/week.

Why does it decrease over the weeks?
Right well, I've decided to run just as soon as I've started walking. Dropped FTO for the moment because their servers keep going down. Decided to scout out my own matches and found a match that would only lose me 90 pence to qualify for a 30 quid free bet SNR. I hope I haven't missed anything, read all TOS and used mutiple calculators to work it out.

Original post by Jampolo
Why does it decrease over the weeks?

I assume because the free bets run out, I guess it would last longer if you did the bets one at a time.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3983
Original post by NAJC
Sorry if this has been asked, is it neccessary to give correct personal details when signing up? (bar maybe your email address and bank details of course.)

Please could someone answer me asap, I want to start this immediately but would prefer to not give out details if possible.
Original post by NAJC
Please could someone answer me asap, I want to start this immediately but would prefer to not give out details if possible.

You pretty much have to, they will search for your UK citizenship for proof of age, if they can't find it they require you to send in a bank statement or picture of your passport. If the details don't match up they won't be happy.
Original post by NAJC

I would STRONGLY reccomend giving out your correct details. They do ask for ID (Not often, but a few have), and some even ask for proof of address (Not happened yet, but in terms & cond. of most bookies they are allowed to). If it turns out you were lying, they could suspend all your deposits, and take away any winnings.

Why wouldn't you want to give out details? You can always opt out of stuff after you've finished with the bookie, create a new email address specifically for matched betting (Gmail?), and they nevveerrrrr send stuff to your address.
Reply 3986
Original post by liamcol123
I would STRONGLY reccomend giving out your correct details. They do ask for ID (Not often, but a few have), and some even ask for proof of address (Not happened yet, but in terms & cond. of most bookies they are allowed to). If it turns out you were lying, they could suspend all your deposits, and take away any winnings.

Why wouldn't you want to give out details? You can always opt out of stuff after you've finished with the bookie, create a new email address specifically for matched betting (Gmail?), and they nevveerrrrr send stuff to your address.

At the start of the year, I received correspondence from a company acting on behalf of an utility firm stating that I owed money for a previous period at a past temporary address. I wasn't even living at said address at the date stated and I'm not even the billpayer. So, someone must have searched online and somehow found my details. How they linked me to that old address I'll never know! I don't think I've ever used that address to signup or buy anything personally. Maybe I'm just a bit paranoid about that experience.
Reply 3987
Oh and I forgot to say, I don't want to receive anything in the post. I would rather not have to explain this to my parents if possible. Thanks to both of you for a quick and helpful replies.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by NAJC
At the start of the year, I received correspondence from a company acting on behalf of an utility firm stating that I owed money for a previous period at a past temporary address. I wasn't even living at said address at the date stated and I'm not even the billpayer. So, someone must have searched online and somehow found my details. How they linked me to that old address I'll never know! I don't think I've ever used that address to signup or buy anything personally. Maybe I'm just a bit paranoid about that experience.

Oh and I forgot to say, I don't want to receive anything in the post. I would rather not have to explain this to my parents if possible. Thanks to both of you for a quick and helpful reply.

I know exactly what you mean about this, I signed up to stop getting bank statements through the post in case my parents read one by mistake or something, my statements look awful!

But yeah, in all my time I've had nothing through the post, a lot of stuff through email but no post...

Eugh that utility thing sounds wierd! Did you have to pay?
Reply 3989
I know exactly what you mean about this, I signed up to stop getting bank statements through the post in case my parents read one by mistake or something, my statements look awful!

But yeah, in all my time I've had nothing through the post, a lot of stuff through email but no post...

Eugh that utility thing sounds wierd! Did you have to pay?

Haha agreed. And no I didn't. My parents opened the post whilst I was away at uni thinking it was nothing and found this! Luckily, my dad was very helpful and put forward a complaint to the utility firm and they ceased using the company any further. On top of this, I received book tokens. :smile: Still not a nice experience though: to be accused of owing something and receiving letters when you have no connection to it whatsoever.
o.O would your parents be angry at you making money in a smart way? I told my dad and he started calling his mates who do arbitrage for a living getting them to help me.
Original post by Wasted Wrath
o.O would your parents be angry at you making money in a smart way? I told my dad and he started calling his mates who do arbitrage for a living getting them to help me.

I've told my Dad about it aha, but my Mum wouldn't understand, when I mentioned at a christening that I was an athiest in passing conversation, she thought that I wasn't actually meant to set foot in a church (She's not religious, just thought there were rules to being an athiest). But yeah, she's scared of jus' the term "bookmakers" :rolleyes:
Reply 3992
It's just the whole explaining process that would worry me, one mention of betting and I think they would stop listening there and then.

What is matched betting in terms of football, betting on the win and loss? Sorry, never heard of it before and I can't comprehend how all this actually works. I mean can I do this in the actual books like Bet Fred, William Hill and so on, if not then why?

I'd really appreciate an informative reply as you seem to know what you're on about:colondollar:
Reply 3994
Original post by pinda.college
What is matched betting in terms of football, betting on the win and loss? Sorry, never heard of it before and I can't comprehend how all this actually works. I mean can I do this in the actual books like Bet Fred, William Hill and so on, if not then why?

I'd really appreciate an informative reply as you seem to know what you're on about:colondollar:

Read the first page..
Reply 3995
Righhhttt, for the Betdaq offer, it's a £30 no lose bet. I've read the terms and conditions, you get the free bet if you lose the qualifying bet (Win on betfair). How would I go about this? Is there a different way of matching the odds, or do I just go for games that have high odds and hope to win on betfair? Cheers

Treat the first bet as SNR, that way you make profit if the back bet wins and you don't get your free bet. In other terms, just underlay greatly on your first bet.

Original post by Jampolo
hmm, how much money in a week can one expect to make a week from matched betting?

This is like asking how long a piece of string is. You make as much as you can be bothered to make in as much time as you can be bothered to give.
Original post by Swindan

This is like asking how long a piece of string is. You make as much as you can be bothered to make in as much time as you can be bothered to give.

Ok lets say i play for about 15 hours a week(equal to my part time job), would i be able to sustain £100 a week?
Original post by pinda.college

Haha! Oh christ, you put me on the spot :colondollar: I'll try and give you a reasonable explanation, but I would still consider myself a newbie to MB, so take everything I say with a pinch of salt aha.

Firstly, Betfair is your bestest buddy, Betfair's a betting exchange, not a bookie. This means, that aswell as backing a team to win a game, you can also Lay (the pink box). When you place a lay bet, you are acting as a bookie, saying "No, I don't think that's going to happen". For example, if Manchester United were playing Arsenal, and you don't think Man utd will win, you would Lay Man Utd. If the game ends in a draw, or an Arsenal win, you win your bet.

The principle of MB is placing one Lay bet (on betfair) and one back bet (on a bookie) on the same team/result. This covers all outcomes, if you lose your bet at the bookies, you will win on Betfair, if you lose on Betfair you will win at the bookies.

The way you gain money out of matching bets, is because the bookies want you to sign up to them. To persuade you, they will hand out a 'free bet', either after you have deposited some money, placed a bet, or settled a bet. Let's take skybets £10 freebet as an example of what to do:

1. Sign up to a bookie
2. Place two 'qualifying bets', a back bet on the bookie and a Lay bet on betfair, covering all outcomes
3. Wait for the match to play out and your bookie to credit your freebet to your account
4. You would then repeat step 2, but instead of betting your own money at the bookie, you are using the money they just gave you. This is because the free bet is not usually withdrawable.
5. Profit!

Personally, I would suggest going through https://www.fixtheodds.com?ARAFID=2031 as they do a lot of the legwork in finding games to bet on, and will take you through every step of the way. However it does have weaknesses, you may not make AS much money from doing it that way, as they only use select markets, however for the ease of use it provides, in my opinion, it's worth it.

But yeah, DO NOT rush into it, read up about it and make sure you understand the procedure. Don't play with money you may need within a couple of weeks, as withdrawals take a couple of days, whereas deposits are instant.

Ermmm, I hope I explained it Ok? Feel free to ask more questions, or ask someone else if you found me difficult to understand, I am by no means an expert :colondollar:

I would strongly suggest reading through this a couple of times as well: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=325861

Although it may seem daunting at first, I assure you MB is worth it, just gotta be vigilant, the only way you will lose is because of human error, so BE CAREFUL

Hope I helped :smile:

Ps. That Fixtheodds link was a sneaky referral for my account, please don't judge me :ahee:
Reply 3998
Original post by Jampolo
Ok lets say i play for about 15 hours a week(equal to my part time job), would i be able to sustain £100 a week?

What's "play"? You don't start matched betting and end a few hours later, you just find a bet, and place it, then wait for the result. If you're looking around for bets for 15 hours a week, you should easily make over £100 a week. I'm sure 15 hours a week is longer than most arbitrage veterans who make thousands do though.

I think you need to get a better understanding of matched betting itself. There's no definite figure for how much you earn per hour, nor can you do matched betting for an hour technically. I guess you can search for a good match for an hour, but then I'd say that's wasting your time, you should be able to find something in much less time than that.
Spent the day with the Marketing Director of Betfair today :awesome:

Latest

Trending

Trending