The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Swindan
Is it always worth starting on FTO rather than doing it all manually, regardless of time?

As a newbie i found FTO good for your 1st run. They guide you through every step and their customer service is 1st class, i emailed them a question and got a reply within half an hour, then had a continuous back and forth conversation for an hour.

However now i know what i'm doing i wouldn't go with them again. I only got a 51% return and it took days. Its much easier and quicker to find odds yourself, and better ones at that. Everytime i've looked for odds manually i've found a 85%+ return match for the same day in less than 15 minutes. If you have a matcher spreadsheet or calculator its a doddle.
Original post by Wolvarium
They state in the terms "bets must be placed on odds of evens or greater to qualify"
Sometimes they say 2.0 but evens = 2.0.
Yes it does usually apply to the freebet too.

If the terms dont state that its stake not returned then its stake returned.
Some say "Stake not returned with the freebet"
Others say "freebet profits will be returned exclusively of the stake".
They word it in many different ways.

Cheers dude!
Original post by stonesthrow
As a newbie i found FTO good for your 1st run. They guide you through every step and their customer service is 1st class, i emailed them a question and got a reply within half an hour, then had a continuous back and forth conversation for an hour.

However now i know what i'm doing i wouldn't go with them again. I only got a 51% return and it took days. Its much easier and quicker to find odds yourself, and better ones at that. Everytime i've looked for odds manually i've found a 85%+ return match for the same day in less than 15 minutes. If you have a matcher spreadsheet or calculator its a doddle.

Couldn't agree more :biggrin:
What do i do if my bet can't be matched on betfair??

EDIT: Hmm that was weird. It said my bet couldn't be matched so i clicked 'cancel unmatched', then a window came up sayin your bet was successfully matched and in my current bets it seems to have been matched fine :s-smilie:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 984

I assume you arnt using FTO?

Is it a qualifying or a follow up?

You'll have to lay the rest at different odds erm but Im not a 100% sure but give me the figures and Ill try to work it out.....

EDIT: Just saw your edit - Thats happened to me a few times

finally placed the paddy power bet, 94p loss and £33 liability on BF best I could find.

Wierd thing is Ive only just placed the bet and the freebet has already been credited to my account!
Yeah seemed to work itself out, thanks Suzie. :smile:
Reply 986
Yeah seemed to work itself out, thanks Suzie. :smile:

Its the worst when it happens - it happened to me on my first ever MB was proper panicking about it haha....

Score! Just placed a bet on Stan James too and got an arb! (i think) Going to make 82p profit on the qualifier
(edited 13 years ago)

EDIT: Hmm that was weird. It said my bet couldn't be matched so i clicked 'cancel unmatched', then a window came up sayin your bet was successfully matched and in my current bets it seems to have been matched fine :s-smilie:

Yeah its to do with how much liquidity there is on the market.
As betfair is a betting exchange if you win then you're winning another members money and if you lose then someone else is getting your money. Betfair just get a % of the commission of each bet.
So under each odds should be a figure in £. Thats the amount of money avaliable on those specific odds. So if there is £33 liquidity on 2.34 odds you can't bet more than £33 or it most likely wont get matched and you'll have to match it on 2.36 odds.

It sounds complicated but its really simple. You can choose to wait and see if the bet is matched if more liquidity goes on the odds or you can change the odds and match the bet at higher odds.

So yeah its important to keep an eye on the liquidity on each of the odds.

Original post by suzie101

Score! Just placed a bet on Stan James too and got an arb! (i think) Going to make 82p profit on the qualifier

Yeah stan james are really good for arbs!
Reply 988
As betfair is a betting exchange if you win then you're winning another members money and if you lose then someone else is getting your money. Betfair just get a % of the commission of each bet.
So under each odds should be a figure in £. Thats the amount of money avaliable on those specific odds. So if there is £33 liquidity on 2.34 odds you can't bet more than £33 or it most likely wont get matched and you'll have to match it on 2.36 odds.

It sounds complicated but its really simple. You can choose to wait and see if the bet is matched if more liquidity goes on the odds or you can change the odds and match the bet at higher odds.

So yeah its important to keep an eye on the liquidity on each of the odds.

Yeah stan james are really good for arbs!

:smile: Will deffo be looking to use them more in the future then hehe.

Finally got the hang of manual matched betting now - both bets I placed today were but it took me forever to find good odds. Using that spreadsheet from MSE to help me out.

Need to find some decent odds for my Paddy Power free bet but no luck yet :frown:

Also I need some advice - ive got a new account just for MB so I can keep the funds separate - do you know if BF will allow to withdraw to a different card, or will I have to withdraw to original and then re-deposit with the new one
(edited 13 years ago)

So yeah its important to keep an eye on the liquidity on each of the odds

Understood. So if i just leave it and the liquidity goes up, betfair will automatically match it for me?

And if the bets don't get matched, i just click 'cancel unmatched bets' and put the rest on at higher odds?
Understood. So if i just leave it and the liquidity goes up, betfair will automatically match it for me?

And if the bets don't get matched, i just click 'cancel unmatched bets' and put the rest on at higher odds?

Precisely. Although a quicker way to get the bet matched is to just click the arrow to increase the odds on the bet that wasnt matched, then click submit and it'll match it at higher odds.
You have to be careful though as if the odds go considerably higher you'll need to change your lay stake. Small changes wont make much difference but large changes will.

Also its worth just double checking your bet has been cancelled by going to the "my bets" tab before re-placing your bet. You don't want to end up laying twice! Trust me :P

:smile: Will deffo be looking to use them more in the future then hehe.

Finally got the hang of manual matched betting now - both bets I placed today were but it took me forever to find good odds. Using that spreadsheet from MSE to help me out.

Need to find some decent odds for my Paddy Power free bet but no luck yet :frown:

Also I need some advice - ive got a new account just for MB so I can keep the funds separate - do you know if BF will allow to withdraw to a different card, or will I have to withdraw to original and then re-deposit with the new one

Betfair have an anti-money laundering policy. To withdraw to another method you need to withdraw the net amount you've deposited with your original method. So with your original card if you've deposited a net total of £100 then you'd need to witdraw £100 to that card. THEN you would need to make a deposit with the new card first before you can withdraw to that card.
Its a pain :P
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 991

Trying to understand some of the terminology.

What does 'matched/unmatched' mean for single bets like this?
Precisely. Although a quicker way to get the bet matched is to just click the arrow to increase the odds on the bet that wasnt matched, then click submit and it'll match it at higher odds.
You have to be careful though as if the odds go considerably higher you'll need to change your lay stake. Small changes wont make much difference but large changes will.

Also its worth just double checking your bet has been cancelled by going to the "my bets" tab before re-placing your bet. You don't want to end up laying twice! Trust me :P

Cool beans!

Btw do you use moneybookers? I've started to realise the benefits as my qualifying bet today looks like its gonna win at the bookies, leaving my betfair account all dried up lol. As i cant chuck any more money in betfair right now i guess i'm gonna have to wait, probably til next week, to get the money out of the bookies, into my bank, then back into betfair. Long!!
Original post by Xno-
Trying to understand some of the terminology.

What does 'matched/unmatched' mean for single bets like this?

It basically means whether the bet has been taken or not. As betfair is an exchange there is liquidity (money avaliable) on each of the odds. If there is not enough liquidity e.g. if you're trying to place a £50 bet and there is £40 liquidity on those odds then £40 of your £50 will be "matched" or "bet" but £10 wont be. You could either wait to see if there will be more liquidity or match the rest of your bet on higher odds.

Hope thats clear.

Feel free to ask or PM me if you have anymore questions. I strive to help! :P

Cool beans!

Btw do you use moneybookers? I've started to realise the benefits as my qualifying bet today looks like its gonna win at the bookies, leaving my betfair account all dried up lol. As i cant chuck any more money in betfair right now i guess i'm gonna have to wait, probably til next week, to get the money out of the bookies, into my bank, then back into betfair. Long!!

Yup I always use moneybookers whenever possible. Its epic for just re-using matched betting profits. I can keep my profits in matched betting and just not touch my bank account at all, just using moneybookers and the bookies.
Betfair withdrawals to moneybookers take about 24 hours. Some bookies do it instantly (paddypower amongst others) but others can be slower.

P.S. If you do join moneybookers, mind letting me refer you? :wink:
Yup I always use moneybookers whenever possible. Its epic for just re-using matched betting profits. I can keep my profits in matched betting and just not touch my bank account at all, just using moneybookers and the bookies.
Betfair withdrawals to moneybookers take about 24 hours. Some bookies do it instantly (paddypower amongst others) but others can be slower.

P.S. If you do join moneybookers, mind letting me refer you? :wink:

Ahh sorry dude already signed up this morning! lol

I suppose i cant withdraw funds to moneybookers if i deposited with my debit card right?
Reply 995
Wolvarium dont suppose you know of any sites that give an overview of odds do you?

Spent ages trying to find decent odds for my free bet but still not found anything yet

Also Im confused about the whole moneybookers thing - Ive seen in quite a few T&Cs that those who deposit using moneybookers are excluded from the free bet offers?
(edited 13 years ago)
Wolvarium dont suppose you know of any sites that give an overview of odds do you?

Spent ages trying to find decent odds for my free bet but still not found anything yet

Theres this one - http://www.beatbookies.com/

Havent used it myself but supposedly its good. Not sure how up to date the odds are though...
Reply 997
Just using this as an example, not planning on start to bet yet:

Just found Swindon v Exeter has odds of 2.2 for Swindon to win. Laying odds against a Swindon win are also 2.2

If the lay wins, I lose nothing, win nothing, if I bet £5 on each, and the Swindon bet wins, then I get £5 profit, seeing as the lay liability is £6?

Would this be arbing?

Also seeing as Betfair give £25 cashback for a £25 bet. If I bet £25 on each, I'd then get another £25, so would this then become matched betting?
Ahh sorry dude already signed up this morning! lol

I suppose i cant withdraw funds to moneybookers if i deposited with my debit card right?

You can still set me as your referer by going to the benefits section (top right) and refer and earn program on the left menu then "who referred you" still on the left menu and entering my i.d. :wink:
Its up to you really. I wont bite your head off if you don't :P
I wont get much out of it anyway but its still a few pence here and there.
Not sure if referal stuff is allowed to be posted on the forums but 18615122 is what you put in the box. :biggrin:

Also Im confused about the whole moneybookers thing - Ive seen in quite a few T&Cs that those who deposit using moneybookers are excluded from the free bet offers?

I just googled odds matcher one day and found a couple of sites that are alright.
Generally sites like these are out of date often but on occassion you can catch some really decent finds.

http://bet72.com/oddsmatcher/
http://www.free-easy-money.com/oddsmatcher.php

And if you start doing horse racing then this is a good site but its good for other odds as well: http://www.oddschecker.com/

Haven't used beatbookies much but they seemed like a good site.

Not that many exclude moneybookers from freebets. A fair amount of UK ones do but generally most bookies allow it. I've used it for the majority of offers I've done. Also reloads and other offers don't generally exclude moneybookers so after the initial sign-up offer moneybookers can usually be used.

Its useful because:
1. You don't get a load of gambling transactions on your bank statement.
2. It allows for quicker withdrawals from bookies (sometimes instant)
3. You can re-use your matched betting profits without touching any money in your bank account.
4. You're not giving bookies your card details.
5. It makes it easier to keep track of your matched betting transactions.

Its not essential but it does make things a lot quicker and for that reason alone I started using moneybookers. Love at first sight eh?
Original post by Swindan
Just using this as an example, not planning on start to bet yet:

Just found Swindon v Exeter has odds of 2.2 for Swindon to win. Laying odds against a Swindon win are also 2.2

If the lay wins, I lose nothing, win nothing, if I bet £5 on each, and the Swindon bet wins, then I get £5 profit, seeing as the lay liability is £6?

Would this be arbing?

Also seeing as Betfair give £25 cashback for a £25 bet. If I bet £25 on each, I'd then get another £25, so would this then become matched betting?

Apologies for the double post :P

You've got some figures a bit muddled up there!
Backing and laying at 2.2 won't get you profit.
If the back bet wins you get £11 but lose £6 from betfair so you are left with your original £5.
If your lay bet wins then you win about £5 and lose £5.

An arb would be 2.2 - 2.12 (and the more this lay odds decreases the bigger an arb it becomes).

Read up a little about matched betting first. You start off by exploiting the sign-up offers. I wouldn't reccommend just arbing straight away although finding arbs whilst doing the sign-up offers is always a bonus!

The betfair example is right. As you get £25 cashback then you would get £25 profit after betting £25 on betfair, ensuring you backed and layed and minimised losses.

Latest

Trending

Trending