The Student Room Group

Never motivated to revise?? Need help asap.

I'm in Year 11, so I have my GCSEs in May/June and I'm predicted A/A*s for all of my GCSEs. Right now, I'm midway through my mock exams. However, at my school, we have yearly exams in all of the subjects, and starting in secondary school, you also have winter exams. I used to be so motivated, mainly from fear, to revise but now I can never sit down and do it? Which is ironic, because I am literally so scared of failing, but even fear is not motivating me anymore?

Has anyone got any tips on how to revise and focus?? Thanks :s-smilie:
Reply 1
I did my GCSE's last year and I found that by spending one afternoon sitting down and completely planning out my revision, (I made a timetable and figured out how much I needed to do for each subject) this helped me a lot because it meant that I knew when I should be revising and so I felt guilty if I wasn't. It also helps if your parents know about this timetable because if they see you aren't sticking to it they'll probably try and get you to do some. Always make sure the room you're revising in is completely tidy with no distractions, turn your phone off. You could even turn off your internet whenever you should be revising. I only worked for 45 minutes at a time unless I finished the work I had planned to do for that session in less time than I thought. I had half hour breaks in between which sounds horrid now that I think about it but at the time I knew it was important. Also, if you're making a timetable, don't make it set for each week, I spent a few hours working mine out so that every day I had a different set of subjects to do. This was also very helpful for me because by the time I came to my last couple of exams I was still revising the same amount, just for fewer subjects.

For my revision I did lots of past papers, I read the examiners reports, I copied things out onto revision cards and read them whenever I had the chance (which was definitely how I managed my A* in biology). I tried posters but I found that because I didn't want to revise I just refused to look at them, and you definitely need times where you're not thinking about revision at all.
I was in the same boat as you when I was in year 11. I was so lazy and I really did not care about the grades I would get in the mocks because they 'weren't the real thing'. I agree with the above, creating a timetable makes you feel as if you're getting your life sorted and you feel as if you should be following that. I personally found watching YouTube videos of tips on how to study motivated me to get out of bed. Also, look at what you may want to do at uni, the big goal may give you an inspirational boost!

On focusing, I would suggest giving your phone to a family member - that way you won't feel the urge to procrastinate lol. Don't forget to take breaks when you do study, it helps to create a list of what you want to revise on that day; crossing them off gives so much satisfaction!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending