The Student Room Group

Studying for my prelims

Im in 4th year and im trying to study for my prelims but it is making me want to die every time i try to study can someone help me
Reply 1
Hi @babyyoda6465 try not to stress about prelims! At the end of the day they are just prelims, here to help you notice what you need to work on before the real exams. I’m not sure what you necessarily need help with but if it is finding motivation to study, try not to swallow an elephant! By this I mean, it’s easier to approach revision when you don’t feel overwhelmed by all the work you have to do. Set little goals for yourself, like ‘I’ll study for 5 minutes’, but try to make the little revision you do effective. So tackle the most important/hardest topics in your studies first. Make sure the revision you are doing is active revision, so past papers, trying to recall information out loud, etc. Work smarter not harder, it’s better to do 10 minutes of Flashcards where you’re actively recalling information than 10 minutes of rewriting notes when your not engaging your brain. Now, this is not to say rewriting notes can’t be a useful form of revision but if you are doing that try reciting your notes meanwhile writing them to make it more effective.

Try to do 5 minutes of studying each day, it might sound like a ridiculously small amount but you’ll find that starting studying is the hardest thing and once you get in the swing of things, past the first 5 minutes, you’ll study for longer than anticipated.

Hope this helped a bit! Also, if your prelims don’t go well do not fret! I got a fail in my Higher Computing prelim (STEM has never been my strong suit) and managed to get it to an A by the end of the year! 😊 They are only here to show you what you need to work on and allow you to experience tests in exam format.

(Sorry I’ve realised this is very long)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending