The Student Room Group

Best places to visit in Scotland?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nomes24
You're welcome! I just checked google and the boat trip is called Maid of the Forth, and it departs from Hawes Pier in South Queensferry, Edinburgh. You said you were going in the next few months, you may want to take into account when planning your trip that I don't think the trips start up again until Spring- i.e. possibly March? I'm not entirely sure, the website will have more details and the timetable comes out in February. If you could make your trip later, I think that would be for the best anyway r.e. the weather! I've just been up in Edinburgh and confirm it's absolutely freezing, so if you could go in early Spring when it won't be so cold you'll probably have more fun :smile:

Also other things to do in Edinburgh: obviously the castle, you can visit the old town which is seriously Diagon-Alley inspired, go to the cafe J K Rowling wrote Harry Potter- The Elephant House - and also the National Museum of Scotland is absolutely fantastic!! Other than that there is great shopping and also you could climb Arthur's Seat. Lastly Dynamic Earth is this great sciencey museum near the Houses of Parliament :smile:

I'll have a look at the timetables, thank you so much :smile:. Is it a lot colder in Edinburgh than Leeds? That is where I am right now :biggrin:

Wow that sounds like a lot of things! How many days would you recommend I spend? :smile:
Original post by NursingStudent93
I thought I quoted you but my post seems to have vanished :doh: I will certainly check out Stirling! How much time should I spend there, will part of a day be enough? :smile:

Yeah that should be fine, trains run regularly from Edinburgh and Glasgow to Stirling so it's easy to get to. If you only want to spend part of a day then go to Stirling Castle and Wallace Monument.
I'll have a look at the timetables, thank you so much :smile:. Is it a lot colder in Edinburgh than Leeds? That is where I am right now :biggrin:

Wow that sounds like a lot of things! How many days would you recommend I spend? :smile:

Hey, check out my edit, I just found another tour which starts earlier http://www.forthtours.com/inchcolm.asp :smile: I don't actually know what Leeds is like- I've never been! Although in fairness to Scotland, it seems to be freezing all over Britain right now. I think as long as you wear layers and pack gloves etc, you'll be fine.

That's a toughie! It kind of depends if you want to leisurely explore everything, or pack in as much as possible. For instance when I was up, I had one day for shopping and I also did the museum on the same day (it's really big but you can just choose which sections interest you so it really depends!). I haven't been to the castle since I was little, but what I really think you should do is start on the royal mile, the historic street that leads to the castle, and check out all the great shops along the way and then finish off by viewing the castle at the top. In terms of hardcore shopping, there's the upmarket St Andrew's Street, then the epic highstreet Princes Street. Sorry this isn't very helpful but it's really down to what you want to do most of- what do you think?

For reference, I did a historic trail of Scotland with my relatives two years ago, and we allocated one day per place e.g. one day for Inchcomb Island, another day for Pitlochry etc. That gives you time to enjoy it but also means you can pack a fair bit in. Probably narrow down the things you want to visit, and which you'd like to see the most, to figure out how long you'd have to stay :smile: (also bear in mind my relatives were elderly so couldn't do too much- you'd probably be more energetic!!)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Nomes24
Hey, check out my edit, I just found another tour which starts earlier http://www.forthtours.com/inchcolm.asp :smile: I don't actually know what Leeds is like- I've never been! Although in fairness to Scotland, it seems to be freezing all over Britain right now. I think as long as you wear layers and pack gloves etc, you'll be fine.

That's a toughie! It kind of depends if you want to leisurely explore everything, or pack in as much as possible. For instance when I was up, I had one day for shopping and I also did the museum on the same day (it's really big but you can just choose which sections interest you so it really depends!). I haven't been to the castle since I was little, but what I really think you should do is start on the royal mile, the historic street that leads to the castle, and check out all the great shops along the way and then finish off by viewing the castle at the top. In terms of hardcore shopping, there's the upmarket St Andrew's Street, then the epic highstreet Princes Street. Sorry this isn't very helpful but it's really down to what you want to do most of- what do you think?

For reference, I did a historic trail of Scotland with my relatives two years ago, and we allocated one day per place e.g. one day for Inchcomb Island, another day for Pitlochry etc. That gives you time to enjoy it but also means you can pack a fair bit in. Probably narrow down the things you want to visit, and which you'd like to see the most, to figure out how long you'd have to stay :smile: (also bear in mind my relatives were elderly so couldn't do too much- you'd probably be more energetic!!)

Thank you :smile: I am keen to go TBH but don't want to freeze haha :colondollar: It's pretty good in Leeds, though if you wanted to visit I think you could probably see everything in a day.

I can spend up to 3 days or so in Edinburgh but would rather not be travelling for too long as I have a lot of work to do right now :colondollar: Are there any places you would recommend to eat? I think I know most of the tourist places right now thanks, I will do what you suggested and see the castle last I think.
Lots to do in Edinburgh - its pretty and very tourist friendly. As the capital it is where you can find the national museums and art galleries, and if you are interested the parliament is at the bottom of the Royal Mile (the high street which runs from the castle through the old town). There is lots to do but you can easily just wander around, visit little cafes, walk across the meadows/up Arthur seat and just take a relaxed pace of life. You can go to Fife and St Andrew's pretty easily from Edinburgh too.

Glasgow likes to think itself as a friendly place (though this could be disputed!), but is bigger and less pretty. There are a few museums and things but its a bit more spread out. Glasgow is the louder, pushy brother!

Stirling is a historic place - a good castle and the near Bannockburn. Linlithgow is a nice little place to visit in between Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Inverness is a long journey from the central belt - a nice journey but the city itself isn't particularly worth a visit, the mountains and outdoor sports with the scenery is the main attraction of the Highlands. There is also a lot of culture in terms of local art and music.

Weather varies but it rains every day in Glasgow and in general I would expect it to be cooler than in Leeds.
Haha, none taken! And you are very polite, so the Italian stereotype is equally untrue! Yeah definitely, there may be guided tours which you can join if you fancy some company but lots of people go to these places on their own. No one would really notice or care I don't think.

As a few people have mentioned Stirling is worth a visit as it has some points of historical interest: the monument of William Wallace and Stirling Castle. As mentioned it also has a good shopping area if that interests you. February should be a bit warmer (although probably freezing by Italian standards!) if you fancy going heading slightly up north for some nature.
Original post by TheRabbit
Lots to do in Edinburgh - its pretty and very tourist friendly. As the capital it is where you can find the national museums and art galleries, and if you are interested the parliament is at the bottom of the Royal Mile (the high street which runs from the castle through the old town). There is lots to do but you can easily just wander around, visit little cafes, walk across the meadows/up Arthur seat and just take a relaxed pace of life. You can go to Fife and St Andrew's pretty easily from Edinburgh too.

Glasgow likes to think itself as a friendly place (though this could be disputed!), but is bigger and less pretty. There are a few museums and things but its a bit more spread out. Glasgow is the louder, pushy brother!

Stirling is a historic place - a good castle and the near Bannockburn. Linlithgow is a nice little place to visit in between Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Inverness is a long journey from the central belt - a nice journey but the city itself isn't particularly worth a visit, the mountains and outdoor sports with the scenery is the main attraction of the Highlands. There is also a lot of culture in terms of local art and music.

Weather varies but it rains every day in Glasgow and in general I would expect it to be cooler than in Leeds.

Thank you :smile: Are Fife and St Andrews worth a visit? I heard the university is good but I haven't read much about the place

Why disputed? I am an obvious tourist/foreigner so I dont want any trouble :colondollar: :getmeccoat: I was thinking of going to West End, are there many things to do solo there?

I didn't know every day haha. I will have to bring my coat :smile:

mellow_yellow
Haha, none taken! And you are very polite, so the Italian stereotype is equally untrue! Yeah definitely, there may be guided tours which you can join if you fancy some company but lots of people go to these places on their own. No one would really notice or care I don't think.

As a few people have mentioned Stirling is worth a visit as it has some points of historical interest: the monument of William Wallace and Stirling Castle. As mentioned it also has a good shopping area if that interests you. February should be a bit warmer (although probably freezing by Italian standards!) if you fancy going heading slightly up north for some nature.

I might do the tour, I'm worried everyone else will not be on their own though. They do look fun, I was in Cambridge last week and there were tours being advertised.

Is the countryside round Stirling nice to walk around or do I need to go to Fort william or the highlands to see nature? :biggrin:

Thanks again, would rep but PRSOM :smile:
Thank you :smile: Are Fife and St Andrews worth a visit? I heard the university is good but I haven't read much about the place

Why disputed? I am an obvious tourist/foreigner so I dont want any trouble :colondollar: :getmeccoat: I was thinking of going to West End, are there many things to do solo there?

I didn't know every day haha. I will have to bring my coat :smile:

I might do the tour, I'm worried everyone else will not be on their own though. They do look fun, I was in Cambridge last week and there were tours being advertised.

Is the countryside round Stirling nice to walk around or do I need to go to Fort william or the highlands to see nature? :biggrin:

Thanks again, would rep but PRSOM :smile:

St Andrew's is quite a nice tourist town - we went as a treat when we were kids, its a seaside town with a castle and ruined cathedral, 2 beaches and nice cafes and a good ice cream shop.

I am an Edinburger so there is friendly rivalry with Weegieland :smile: It does have more rough areas than Edinburgh, and you do need to be careful on Celtic/Rangers match days what colour you are wearing and where you go - never had any issues in the city centre though.

I must confess to not being entirely sure which bits of Glasgow come under the 'West end', the uni is in the west of the city and so is Kelvingrove museum and art galleries (worth a visit), botanics (good glasshouses), and I think riverside museum (Glasgow transport museum - I'd say also worth a visit).

I guess there is nice countryside around Stirling, but it is in the lowlands - depends what you want. The West Highland Line to Fort William is a great train journey - but takes forever and is on old trains, if you are good at exploring and have outdoor gear worth a visit (the town itself is nothing much but scenery is great). The Highlands and Islands are great but better to do with a bit more time and a group of friends - then you can hire a car and do a good tour, of if you have time bus/cycle around.

Quick Reply

Latest