The Student Room Group

Find the most beautiful university libraries you wish to study..

Scroll to see replies

This looks insane!

Original post by Protagoras
This looks insane!

Forget Yale. This is the library with an AI version of Johnny Depp running loose in it.
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Forget Yale. This is the library with an AI version of Johnny Depp running loose in it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblioteca_Vasconcelos

p.s. 143,126 followers!!!! wt..eff..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblioteca_Vasconcelos

p.s. 143,126 followers!!!! wt..eff..

Thanks for the link :smile:

Hahaha, sadly out of those 143,126 probably only about 3 are real :sad:
This place should be a coffee shop with comfy chairs!

I feel as though I have been in this bookshop. Where is it?
Original post by nulli tertius

I found it on google images. I can't seem to find out more about it.
I found it on google images. I can't seem to find out more about it.

Incredibly it seems to be a private library rather than a bookshop.

It belongs to Professor Richard Macksey of Johns Hopkins who obviously thought his university library was too neat and tidy.

http://robaroundbooks.com/2013/02/bookshelf-of-the-week-personal-library-of-richard-a-macksey/

I think he is in my mess with books

Well you wouldn't want to leave something as beautiful as that alone, would you? It clearly needs 'improvement', along the lines of Saruman's plans for the Shire.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Well you wouldn't want to leave something as beautiful as that alone, would you? It clearly needs 'improvement', along the lines of Saruman's plans for the Shire.

The Inns are in a survival struggle for relevance. They are financially sound because of their rent rolls, but increasingly the question is what are they for?

Except at a senior level, they are now of minimal social importance. Their educational importance has declined in the last 30 years and the changing nature of legal information is challenging their relevance as a research resource.

The proposals at both Lincoln's Inn and Inner Temple are both primarily about this. The critics of the proposals say, why do they need a 150 seat lecture theatre? The law schools can provide this. Why do they need an arbitration suite? These can be provided commercially.

The answer is why does a female barrister aged 45 with two kids at private school who commutes from St Albans want to be a member of gentleman's club that happens to have a successful commercial property business?
The Inns are in a survival struggle for relevance. They are financially sound because of their rent rolls, but increasingly the question is what are they for?

Except at a senior level, they are now of minimal social importance. Their educational importance has declined in the last 30 years and the changing nature of legal information is challenging their relevance as a research resource.

The proposals at both Lincoln's Inn and Inner Temple are both primarily about this. The critics of the proposals say, why do they need a 150 seat lecture theatre? The law schools can provide this. Why do they need an arbitration suite? These can be provided commercially.

The answer is why does a female barrister aged 45 with two kids at private school who commutes from St Albans want to be a member of gentleman's club that happens to have a successful commercial property business?

I thought you lawyers were all wedded to traditional clubbable discourse and gentlemanly dining and the like. Has that all gone now? Shame.

It's absolutely marvellous, like something at Hogwarts! :love:

I hope to have a library like that in my old age. :giggle:
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I thought you lawyers were all wedded to traditional clubbable discourse and gentlemanly dining and the like. Has that all gone now? Shame.

It hasn't all gone and those who wish to be clubbable can find places to be clubbable. However the Inns don't even serve dinner every night during term now.

The world is becoming less clubbable. Rotaries, Round Tables and Soroptimists are closing before our very eyes.

An Oxford college is less of a cohesive corporate body than it was 30 years ago, 130 years ago and 630 years ago. However an Oxford college provides heavily subsidised facilities for not particularly well off academics, many of whom do not have families in tow, who live in a very expensive city and whose place of work is very close at hand.

A lot of that isn't so true of the bar and like a lot of professionals they want to spend increasing amounts of non-working time with their families.

The Inns managed to hold back change for a long time by the enforced collegiality imposed on bar students.

Look at somewhere like UCL which is barely clinging to the maintenance of an SCR http://www.ucl.ac.uk/ascr

The majority of solicitors have probably never visited Law Society's Hall let alone used its common room, library and dining facilities.
This place should be a coffee shop with comfy chairs!

If I would ever have enough books and place, my personal library would look in that way - but a bit better structured.
why are libraries so dark and depressing? I need light!
Original post by MoonRocket
why are libraries so dark and depressing? I need light!

Er... I think the words you are looking for are "cosy" and "calming".... :wink:
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Er... I think the words you are looking for are "cosy" and "calming".... :wink:

Protagos's messy library is what I'd consider cosy and calming haha :wink:
Library.jpg
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending