The Student Room Group

what sort of salary can i expect at PwC working in technology?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Reue
I was referring to his other goals of 100k by 30 and retiring early :smile:

Original post by The_Internet
Ah I see. Yeah that's probably not going to happen tbh. Maybe if you become a contractor. Companies up north are paying £225/day which is pretty good!

lol in life the odds are never in your favour. the way i'm lining up AC's like mike tyson collected heads is already me defying the odds.

i have 2 meetings next week where me and my buddy will present a business plan we have for a mind-blowing, innovative mobile app that we're currently developing and are positive will get some interest. with the right investment and marketing i can be a billionaire by 25, who knows

have a look at this: http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v2/480751316/Exotic_Leather_Men_Shoe.jpg_220x220.jpg

you think you can buy a single one of these pythons (let alone a pair) on anything less than a 35K salary? make no mistake i will experience the el chapo lifestyle and i will run the coffee shop game in amsterdam before 40.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by gr8wizard10
yes it is :K:, infact you only have to have worked 167 days on that salary to have earnt £100k

See above
Reply 42
Original post by MC booSack
have a look at this: http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v2/480751316/Exotic_Leather_Men_Shoe.jpg_220x220.jpg

you think you can buy a single one of these let alone a pair on anything less than a 35K salary? make no mistake i will experience the el chapo lifestyle full of luxuries.

Lmao, you couldn't pay me to wear those out in public!
Original post by Reue
Ah my mistake, was looking at Net, not gross :biggrin:

Np, even net though buddy, because you don't pay tax in the same was as a contractor that you do as an employee.

You pay yourself a very small salary from your own limited company "OPSThrowaway Consulting ltd" which I pay very little income tax on because I'm only on 20k per year (poor old me!). Then you pay yourself a dividend from the company which is taxed differently and at a lower rate than income (hooray!).

That's at a very high level.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by OPSthrowaway
Np, even net though buddy, because you don't pay tax in the same was as a contractor that you do as an employee.

You pay yourself a very small salary from your own limited company "OPSThrowaway Consulting ltd" which I pay very little income tax on because I'm only on 20k per year. Then you pay yourself a dividend from the company which is taxed differently.

That's at a very high level.

Yes, I understand how the consultant tax avoidance works.
lol in life the odds are never in your favour. the way i'm lining up AC's like mike tyson collected heads is already me defying the odds.

i have 2 meetings next week where me and my buddy will present a business plan we have for a mind-blowing, innovative mobile app that we're currently developing and are positive will get some interest. with the right investment and marketing i can be a billionaire by 25.

you think you can buy a single one of these let alone a pair on anything less than a 35K salary? make no mistake i will experience the el chapo lifestyle and i will run the coffee shop game in amsterdam before 40.

I dunno. Life's odds have kinda been in my favour but maybe its cos I've pushed myself

Just be realistic

You sound like a bit of a del boy tbh and tbh those shoes look absolutely awful
Original post by Reue
Lmao, you couldn't pay me to wear those out in public!

True, look at the watermark too. From alibaba. I reckon this whole thread isn'meant to be serious and you can probably buy a pair of those on alibaba very cheaply

Just don't wear them to the interview bud. Day one in the office though, different story, assert dominance through footwear.

I do it through socks.
Also tax is cheaper on a contractor rate so you end up keeping more of that £500-600 a day (which is the average for my specialization and I've done that before), the point here is in order to get those rates you need MINIMUM of around 5 years experience and usually a decade+. The point that Reue made that still proves true is that as a new graduate, you are doing good if you are making 27-30k. They don't pay graduates good salaries of 40k+, they pay this to qualified people who offer a much bigger return for investment. Graduates are always risks because they need training, you are the majority of times losing money employing a graduate and a lot of them can leave if they do so choose.

Also the people saying it's "slavery", welcome to the world of working for someone else. You are basically working to make someone else rich/building their dreams. Barely anyone is gonna pay you more than 30k as a graduate but good luck.
(edited 8 years ago)

If that's what you wish to wear, go ahead. Go get your 100K salary in a £1m house in London, which would cost you around 200K up north. Its all relative at the end of the day

Besides justbecause you have money, it doesn't mean that you have to flash the wealth as it were

I do want one slightly pricey purchase, which is an £1800 watch which tbh as far as watch prices go, is not too bad

Shoes don't last as long. I'd much rather spend the money on a nice house personally. Oh and my parents
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 50
I dunno. Life's odds have kinda been in my favour but maybe its cos I've pushed myself

Just be realistic

You sound like a bit of a del boy tbh and tbh those shoes look absolutely awful
pushed yourself to earning slavery money while i'm literally sending rejection e-mails to companies offering more. your bum self isn't fit to wear these pythons on your feet.

you slip your foot into just one of those and it's a ****ing celebration. don't be a fool. i was on £840/week at UBS during my internship which is basically double your life savings. you're not pushing sh;t.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ron_trns
Also tax is cheaper on a contractor rate so you end up keeping more of that £500-600 a day (which is the average for my specialization also), the point here is in order to get those rates you need MINIMUM of around 5 years experience and usually a decade+. The point that Reue made that still proves true is that as a new graduate, you are doing good if you are making 27-30k. They don't pay graduates good salaries of 40k+, they pay this to qualified people who offer a much bigger return for investment. Graduates are always risks because they need training, you are the majority of times losing money employing a graduate and a lot of them can leave if they do so choose.

Barely anyone is gonna pay you more than 30k as a graduate but good luck.

I accept that, but I was making the point around contractor rates after some years of experience (the OP was focused on 100k + by 30, hence my example)

Also, we're in the investment banking and consulting forum, anything below 30k in this sector is a bad starting salary I'm afraid, as ridiculous as that seems.

edit: my firm takes on around 80-90 grads in the UK each year in consulting, 32.5k starting salary
(edited 8 years ago)
A salary of five moneys
Reply 53
Original post by ron_trns
Also the people saying it's "slavery", welcome to the world of working for someone else. You are basically working to make someone else rich/building their dreams. Barely anyone is gonna pay you more than 30k as a graduate but good luck.
im already at final round/AC for 3 companies that are offering over 37K.
pushed yourself to earning slavery money while i'm literally sending rejection e-mails to companies offering more. your bum self isn't fit to wear these pythons on your feet.

you slip your foot into just one of those and it's a ****ing celebration. don't be a fool. i was on £840/week at UBS during my internship which is basically double your life savings. you're not pushing sh;t.

Lol. Sure you were and I'd say I have a decent amount of savings in the bank. Definitely not something as small as £440..

£840/week in all actuality isn't all that much when you were in essence contracting. As before companies up north pay £225/day, which is £1125/week

Life isn't all about money
anything below 50k base.. i don't want to get out of bed for :lol:
Original post by trustmeimlying1
and the alternative?

Instructions are on the opposite page to the map showing the location of the holy grail :smile:

Alternatives tend to only be obvious in hindsight...or if you, by sheer chance, stumble or are forced into one.

Goals change too.

Right now, working 120h+ weeks in a cut-throat industry for big bucks may sound great. Make the big bucks and either do what they all do and piss it up the wall of frivolous stuff...or try and live like a pauper and squirrel it all away (not the best way to make friends and influence people in those industries). When do you quit? When do you take time off - as no work means no money...

What about a relationship? Family? Your health? Your free time? Quality of life? Realising you maybe hate your degree subject or job. Can you still do it for 120h a week, just for the money?

If you cut back to 40h a week and earn normal money, is it worth having a job you don't like doing without the big money (in both cases, on an hourly basis, your wage still ain't all that)?

You're on £40k a year, have a mortgage and a missus. Hating the 9-5 but re qualifying would mean no more £40k and 3 years of study...and back in at the bottom. Would you? Could you?

There is no right or wrong answer - and your sense of both will change.
Average persons idea of how they'll feel in 10 years, after uni/experience?

Ziltch.

Hence just do whatever feels right and roll the dice.
If you're lucky, it pans out better than you could have expected in ways you never imagined.

Of the 12 of us that started in Corporate Finance 10 years ago, only 3 or 4 were still in related fields last time i checked, and that was a few years ago.
Original post by brabzzz
Instructions are on the opposite page to the map showing the location of the holy grail :smile:

Alternatives tend to only be obvious in hindsight...or if you, by sheer chance, stumble or are forced into one.

Goals change too.

Right now, working 120h+ weeks in a cut-throat industry for big bucks may sound great. Make the big bucks and either do what they all do and piss it up the wall of frivolous stuff...or try and live like a pauper and squirrel it all away (not the best way to make friends and influence people in those industries). When do you quit? When do you take time off - as no work means no money...

What about a relationship? Family? Your health? Your free time? Quality of life? Realising you maybe hate your degree subject or job. Can you still do it for 120h a week, just for the money?

If you cut back to 40h a week and earn normal money, is it worth having a job you don't like doing without the big money (in both cases, on an hourly basis, your wage still ain't all that)?

You're on £40k a year, have a mortgage and a missus. Hating the 9-5 but re qualifying would mean no more £40k and 3 years of study...and back in at the bottom. Would you? Could you?

There is no right or wrong answer - and your sense of both will change.
Average persons idea of how they'll feel in 10 years, after uni/experience?

Ziltch.

Hence just do whatever feels right and roll the dice.
If you're lucky, it pans out better than you could have expected in ways you never imagined.

Of the 12 of us that started in Corporate Finance 10 years ago, only 3 or 4 were still in related fields last time i checked, and that was a few years ago.

Here's the thing. Its all well and good saying I earn x per annum, but if you really wish to compare, then you should go off £x/hr instead (and without overtime/shift)
Reply 58
Life isn't all about money
yeah we'll see about that. talk to me when you're 50 and forced to carry on working 9-5 when you can barely walk, while i'll be chilling in my mansion running multiple weed grows and coffee shops in amsterdam looking like el chapo in his prime.

i would buy the bum company that you work for and name it after myself. when i tell you to polish my anaconda shoes you will get on your knees and clean them spotless with your spit.

don't give me the "life isn't all about money" cos it damn right is. this is 2016 my man. let's be honest - without money you are nothing in this world.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by brabzzz

Of the 20 grads I joined with, only 8 are still at the same firm (and only 4 of those doing the job we graduated into), the other 12 are all at different firms, and I think again only 4 of those are doing a simliar role. That's just after 6 years

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending