The Student Room Group

Can I get into university with good GCSE's and a Level 3 BTEC College course?

I'm 17, and I started a Games Design Course in college last September. I have plans to go to university to study I.T. after my 2nd year of college, but I was wondering is it possible with this level 3 BTEC at college I am currently taking and good GCSE results? Thank You.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sellsomepapers
I'm 17, and I started a Games Design Course in college last September. I have plans to go to university to study I.T. after my 2nd year of college, but I was wondering is it possible with this level 3 BTEC at college I am currently taking and good GCSE results? Thank You.

Yeah some unis do accept BTECs. Have a look around for some courses you are interested in and look at their entry requirements. :smile:
Original post by rayquaza17
Yeah some unis do accept BTECs. Have a look around for some courses you are interested in and look at their entry requirements. :smile:
Reply 3
95% or UK unis accept BTEC

The Games design BTEC is part of the Creative Media range right? Unis might want to see you have a BTEC from the actual IT range of BTECs but im sure there are some out there, you may have more luck applying for an actual Games Design degree

What uni courses are you wanting to do specifically?
Yes you will!
I got average GCSEs and a D*DD in Electrical and Electronic Engineering and ive been accepted into all my chosen universities
Hi sellsomepapers!

I did a BTEC in a college (a few years ago) and have been accepted to a Uni.
Most of the ones I applied to required a certain number of UCAS points, so you shouldn't have any problems. :smile:
When you start looking at Unis you'd like to go to and are getting prepared to apply it may be worth contacting the Unis you are interested in to ask if they will accept BTEC. :smile:
It doesn't matter what subject you do at BTEC. If the Uni accepts BTEC's then you will get in and can go onto whatever course you want. I did a BTEC in IT but at uni I'm going to do something completely different.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by samzy21
It doesn't matter what subject you do at BTEC. If the Uni accepts BTEC's then you will get in and can go onto whatever course you want. I did a BTEC in IT but at uni I'm going to do something completely different.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It really does matter what subject you take

look at almost any course listing for IT, Computing, Engineering or Science degrees and they will (most of the time) specify a specific BTEC subject and in some cases specific units from the BTEC

for example, to get into the uni that I currently go to (for Computer Science) you have to be taking the BTEC in IT and take at least 4 of the programming, software engineering or mathematics BTEC units, which wouldnt be the same units in a Creative Media (Games Design) BTEC

the OP would have more luck looking to do a specific Games Design degree or look at low ranked universities if they want to go into IT, Computing or Computer Science who would be more lenient

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending