The Student Room Group

Who thinks NCFE and BTEC make sense to be qualifications?

After year 11, firstly I earned a level 1 pass in NCFE CACHE certificate in childcare, secondly a level 2 pass in BTEC first certificate in business and thirdly, a level 2 pass in extended certificate I digital multimedia skills.

After just receiving my level 1 pass, I should have been accepted into any part-time job one has after just starting a level 2 course just after Year 11.

There is no point of GCSE mathematics and English language being an entry requirement for A-levels and higher when those with them under grade 4 have part-time jobs, anyway.

NCFE and BTEC level 3 are not even higher nor equivalent to GCSEs. They are not even qualifications. They are below junior bronze medals.

If you have an NCFE or BTEC level 3, yet your employer has declined you for your GCSEs, GCSEs are higher than NCFE and BTEC, sonu have been tricked into a fake qualification.

I should never have attended college except for GCSE plus, which I never knew about.

Who will be taking a level 1 course or has already done so and has a part-time job? I would love to know.

This year, I will take work experience until I earn a full-time job or a level 3 apprenticeship.

I am ever so grateful that EMA Training, Althaus Digital, Derby College, Pearson, AQA, and he Surry, Oxford and Cambridge University have one star reviews, anyway.
GCSEs in English and maths are requirements for many jobs. They’re not higher qualifications than level 3 qualifications - they’re just an additional requirement In specific subjects.

Lots of jobs require a driving licence as well as a degree but that doesn’t make a driving licence a more advanced qualification than a degree. It’s an additional requirement.
Reply 2
I still disagree.
Original post by ahussain2003
I still disagree.

That's nice - but the qualifications regulators and the government say you're wrong :smile:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/ofqual-handbook/section-e-design-and-development-of-qualifications#level-descriptors
Reply 4
I say that they are wrong because how would they like it if they not only started from BTEC level 3 or below, but attended university with it, yet could only become a fast food servant, whilst even a 16 year old A-level student works at Next?
I say that they are wrong because how would they like it if they not only started from BTEC level 3 or below, but attended university with it, yet could only become a fast food servant, whilst even a 16 year old A-level student works at Next?

Firstly fast-food staff aren't "servants" they're staff working a very difficult job.

16-19 study in England will usually require you to repeated resit English and maths GCSE until you get a passing grade

Basic competency in English and Maths is a requirement for most jobs - especially difficult jobs that involve customer service often with little on-the-job training or supervision available. Unfortunately some employers have no flexibility on what they'll accept as proof of that competency and you have to provide them with GCSEs as proof.

Didn't you resit your GCSE English and maths alongside your BTECs? You'll need level 2 maths and English (GCSE grades 4-9/A*-C) for most jobs - level 1 isn't equivalent to a "good" GCSE grade.
Reply 6
After year 11, firstly I earned a level 1 pass in NCFE CACHE certificate in childcare, secondly a level 2 pass in BTEC first certificate in business and thirdly, a level 2 pass in extended certificate I digital multimedia skills.

After just receiving my level 1 pass, I should have been accepted into any part-time job one has after just starting a level 2 course just after Year 11.

There is no point of GCSE mathematics and English language being an entry requirement for A-levels and higher when those with them under grade 4 have part-time jobs, anyway.

NCFE and BTEC level 3 are not even higher nor equivalent to GCSEs. They are not even qualifications. They are below junior bronze medals.

If you have an NCFE or BTEC level 3, yet your employer has declined you for your GCSEs, GCSEs are higher than NCFE and BTEC, sonu have been tricked into a fake qualification.

I should never have attended college except for GCSE plus, which I never knew about.

Who will be taking a level 1 course or has already done so and has a part-time job? I would love to know.

This year, I will take work experience until I earn a full-time job or a level 3 apprenticeship.

I am ever so grateful that EMA Training, Althaus Digital, Derby College, Pearson, AQA, and he Surry, Oxford and Cambridge University have one star reviews, anyway.

Hey,
I currently take Level 3 NCFE cache childcare and education (early years educator) this course is worth the equivalent of 3 alevels as it’s a full time course 3 days in college and 2 days in placement each week. It is clearly recognised as equivalent by ucas as the amount of ucas points I can get from it is the same as 3 alevels worth.

Hope that can clear something up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending