The Student Room Group

What is your studying schedule and how long does it take you to do assignments?

I'm in my third year of criminology, I think I got a first overall for my second year and I was hoping to get a first for my degree overall, although of course a 2.1 would be great too, I don't really want to get lower than that because a lot of jobs and training I've looked at ask for a good 2.1. I'm aiming to get a first in each assignment and exam. I got a high 2.2 for one of my assignments this year and that marker marks one of my exams too so I don't know how well I'm going to do in that and I'm doing another quite different module to what I have done before too. I was just wondering what your studying schedule is, preferably for or from third year? Also, how long do you spend on assignments? I try to work school-like hours between lectures and seminars too and I usually spend a minimum of 2 weeks on assignments, I read and write as I go along because otherwise I write a ton of notes. Sometimes I forget to reference as I go along so sometimes I have to go back and look for things, I also think I over-reference as I write the page numbers for basically every reference, even if it is not a direct quote but no marker has ever said anything about it. I find university very stressful and I'm worried about the rest of my assignments, revision and exams. Also, this year my timetable is more disruptive with some things in the middle of the day which makes it harder for me to work. Sorry for the long post, just hoping I can find some help. Thank you!
Original post by pinkstudent63
I'm in my third year of criminology, I think I got a first overall for my second year and I was hoping to get a first for my degree overall, although of course a 2.1 would be great too, I don't really want to get lower than that because a lot of jobs and training I've looked at ask for a good 2.1. I'm aiming to get a first in each assignment and exam. I got a high 2.2 for one of my assignments this year and that marker marks one of my exams too so I don't know how well I'm going to do in that and I'm doing another quite different module to what I have done before too. I was just wondering what your studying schedule is, preferably for or from third year? Also, how long do you spend on assignments? I try to work school-like hours between lectures and seminars too and I usually spend a minimum of 2 weeks on assignments, I read and write as I go along because otherwise I write a ton of notes. Sometimes I forget to reference as I go along so sometimes I have to go back and look for things, I also think I over-reference as I write the page numbers for basically every reference, even if it is not a direct quote but no marker has ever said anything about it. I find university very stressful and I'm worried about the rest of my assignments, revision and exams. Also, this year my timetable is more disruptive with some things in the middle of the day which makes it harder for me to work. Sorry for the long post, just hoping I can find some help. Thank you!

I'm a second year Engineering student, last term was hectic. I was in every day for at least 7 hours (apart from Wednesday, I was in for 2 hrs) and I also had around 6 courseworks to do throughout the term along with 3 exams earlier this month.

How did I manage it?

Coursework, on the ones that required more time I spent around 2-3 weeks, the ones that weren't I spent less than a week on. I managed to get well over 70% on 4 courseworks, however I got a low 2:2 for the 5th and the 6th I'm still waiting for.

Hard work and not a lot of sleep was my motto for the term lol.

Just make sure you can manage your workload. Have an idea of what coursework etc you will be spending time on at the start of the week and stick to that. There were so many times I wanted to put one aside and start another but I had to force myself not to.

Make a plan for each week and stick to it religiously.
Original post by Optimum_
I'm a second year Engineering student, last term was hectic. I was in every day for at least 7 hours (apart from Wednesday, I was in for 2 hrs) and I also had around 6 courseworks to do throughout the term along with 3 exams earlier this month.

How did I manage it?

Coursework, on the ones that required more time I spent around 2-3 weeks, the ones that weren't I spent less than a week on. I managed to get well over 70% on 4 courseworks, however I got a low 2:2 for the 5th and the 6th I'm still waiting for.

Hard work and not a lot of sleep was my motto for the term lol.

Just make sure you can manage your workload. Have an idea of what coursework etc you will be spending time on at the start of the week and stick to that. There were so many times I wanted to put one aside and start another but I had to force myself not to.

Make a plan for each week and stick to it religiously.

That's even more than I had! Well done on doing all of that and doing well. I spent the past two years working too much so this year I've tried to tone it down but as I'm really not enjoying university at all anymore and just want to be done it's been difficult. I do try to plan but with my dissertation this year too it's even harder than usual as I have no idea what I am doing with that and I can't aim to write a specific number of words because I don't know what is going to happen and it needs a lot of work first. Also, I don't have enough time between deadlines to work on each assignment. I get so stressed about even doing university related things.
Original post by pinkstudent63
That's even more than I had! Well done on doing all of that and doing well. I spent the past two years working too much so this year I've tried to tone it down but as I'm really not enjoying university at all anymore and just want to be done it's been difficult. I do try to plan but with my dissertation this year too it's even harder than usual as I have no idea what I am doing with that and I can't aim to write a specific number of words because I don't know what is going to happen and it needs a lot of work first. Also, I don't have enough time between deadlines to work on each assignment. I get so stressed about even doing university related things.

I've been given some advice about dissertations in the past, I was told to treat each section as assignments.

E,g, You want to write about a certain topic, Introduction would be one assignment, literature review another etc.

Honest truth is, a third year/someone who has finished Uni would be the best to get advice from.

I hope you do well :wink:
Original post by Optimum_
I've been given some advice about dissertations in the past, I was told to treat each section as assignments.

E,g, You want to write about a certain topic, Introduction would be one assignment, literature review another etc.

Honest truth is, a third year/someone who has finished Uni would be the best to get advice from.

I hope you do well :wink:

Thank you, that sounds like a good idea to try to split it up

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending