The Student Room Group

Tips for multitasking multiple deadlines

Anyone have tips or advice on how to prioritise multiple deadlines in one go ?? I'm in final year and find myself submitting one piece of good work but letting the other one be the bare minimum because I can't seem to work on both at the same time :/
Original post by Sumiii05
Anyone have tips or advice on how to prioritise multiple deadlines in one go ?? I'm in final year and find myself submitting one piece of good work but letting the other one be the bare minimum because I can't seem to work on both at the same time :/

Hi @Sumiii05

There are two ways I like to work when juggling a few different assignments. I either structure my timetable as a dedicated days work for one project, or I will do little sections of each across the day.

So I could focus on one project for a whole day, the other assignment dedicated to another day, that sort of thing. Or I like to do a few hours on one, then a few hours on another.

I tend to make a list of everything I need to do for each - mine are normally all coursework projects - and then roughly work out how long each will take. I'd definitely recommend creating some sort of checklist for each different deadline so you can visualize how much you have to do.

This might also be a bit old school, but I find it really helpful to make a calendar for each project so I can physically see how long I left to each deadline, and I can write down what I need to get done in the weeks/days leading up to them. This way I can cross off the days and see if I'm staying on target.

I hope this helps and best of luck with final year!
Emily 🙂

Looking for answers too because I'm in the same boat as you :rofl: :hide: :bricks:

I had 2 deadlines last week, and this week I've got a test tomorrow, and 2 presentations :eek4:
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @Sumiii05

There are two ways I like to work when juggling a few different assignments. I either structure my timetable as a dedicated days work for one project, or I will do little sections of each across the day.

So I could focus on one project for a whole day, the other assignment dedicated to another day, that sort of thing. Or I like to do a few hours on one, then a few hours on another.

I tend to make a list of everything I need to do for each - mine are normally all coursework projects - and then roughly work out how long each will take. I'd definitely recommend creating some sort of checklist for each different deadline so you can visualize how much you have to do.

This might also be a bit old school, but I find it really helpful to make a calendar for each project so I can physically see how long I left to each deadline, and I can write down what I need to get done in the weeks/days leading up to them. This way I can cross off the days and see if I'm staying on target.

I hope this helps and best of luck with final year!
Emily 🙂

Thank you so much for your reply Emily !! I did use the calendar checklist that's original way of trying to juggle everything but I find myself not doing enough or not doing whatever I wrote specifically for that day and then I get lost with what to do.

Another thing is I procrastinate A LOT. I spend more time stressing than actually starting my work which is something thing I need to work on.

Hi,

I think the best thing to do, from my experience is just to start as early as possible and do a little bit every week whilst doing the module. Starting early and having a dedicated plan always helped me.
I hope this helps and good luck!

Joseph - University of Sunderland Student Ambassador
Thank you so much for your reply Emily !! I did use the calendar checklist that's original way of trying to juggle everything but I find myself not doing enough or not doing whatever I wrote specifically for that day and then I get lost with what to do.

Another thing is I procrastinate A LOT. I spend more time stressing than actually starting my work which is something thing I need to work on.

Hi @Sumiii05

No worries at all! I totally get that. I would suggest trying to set one main goal for the day so that you have an ultimate goal to work towards. For example, say you're essay writing, maybe you could set a goal to read however many sources that day.
This could be the overall goal of the day and this you have to do, but then if you find yourself drifting off task, you can move onto something that requires less brain power. For me, that would be adding any resources to my bibliography as it's a copy and paste job that requires less brain power. Or if you find yourself finishing a task, try and get something else done in your time.

I find when I set loads of tasks for the day and don't tick any off my list I feel defeated. But if you cross off one major job, then you might feel much more productive.

The procrastination thing...that happens a lot!! Don't be too hard on yourself about it, but maybe having some organized plans in advance could be good to get you looking forward to something over than completing work, like meeting some friends to go to the cinema? Or just planning a time to switch off from your work and watch some tv completely interrupted at the end of your day? Maybe even a walk out, wander round some shops, some fresh air? I find if I have something planned, I don't feel like I'm just sat in my room all day thinking of all the fun stuff I could be doing instead of work, as I actually am doing something later on. It also feels really rewarding to do something after you've finished a task.

I hope this helps you out, I'm sure you'll do great!
Emily
Reply 6
Start early. Be disciplined and actually make sure you get stuff done instead of twiddling your thumbs, tempting though that is.

Most university libraries run workshops on countering procrastination, and these can be very helpful.

Hi there,

multitasking is definitely something that most university students struggle with and overcome in their own ways, but there are some ways I like to manage my time.

Firstly, I know that I am most productive in the mornings so I aim to get my days started earlier when I know I have several deadlines approaching. This way I can start working on coursework a while before its due and can approach it in more manageable chunks. This really helps me as I am not the kind of person who does very well sitting and producing a piece of work in a few big sittings.

I also then try and work according to how I am feeling. For example if I have two pieces of coursework due and I am in the library I will choose one to work on for maybe 2 hours. After that depending on how burnt out I am feeling I will either continue or take a quick break. When I am done with break I will then try and get a section of the second piece of coursework done. This way I'm not over dedicating my time to one assignment and as the days go by both pieces progress bit by bit. This helps me feel less overwhelmed as neither piece of coursework is being ignored and the more I work on each little by little the less daunting the tasks may seem.

Obviously this is an ideal situation and life is often far from. If I try and start a piece of coursework and really find myself going nowhere I will switch to another. This way I'm not wasting my time staring at a blank page. Plus, if I have several assignments due and the submission dates are different, then I will focus my primary efforts on the one due sooner, but I still try to work little by little on everything else I have due.

However, if you are really struggling with working on both at the same time, it might be good to try separating your work by day - meaning you choose to work on one assignment one day and then the other the next. This way you can focus all your attention on one assignment each day, but you're not expending all your resources on a sole piece.

I know juggling deadlines and managing your time at university can be really tough, but hopefully my suggestions help at least a little. Best of luck for the rest of the year, you've got this!

Aimée (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

Hey!

I totally understand the struggle of managing multiple deadlines, especially in the final year. It can be challenging, but with the right strategies, you can definitely navigate through it successfully. Here are some tips that might help you prioritize and tackle multiple assignments simultaneously:

Create a Schedule: Break down your tasks into smaller, manageable chunks. Allocate specific time slots for each assignment. This way, you can focus on one task at a time without feeling overwhelmed.

Set Priorities: Identify which assignments are more time-sensitive or carry more weight in terms of grades. Prioritize tasks based on deadlines and importance to ensure you're addressing the most critical aspects first.

Avoid Multitasking: While it might seem like a time-saving approach, multitasking can lead to a decrease in the quality of your work. Focus on one assignment at a time to give it your full attention and produce higher-quality results.

Take Breaks: Factor in short breaks between work sessions to prevent burnout. Use breaks to clear your mind, stretch, or do something enjoyable to refresh your focus for the next task.

Stay Organized: Keep all your materials, notes, and resources organized for each assignment. Having a clear workspace and well-organized materials can save you time and reduce stress.

Communicate with Professors: If you're struggling to meet deadlines, consider reaching out to your professors. Explain your situation and inquire about possible extensions or additional guidance.

Seek Support: Connect with classmates who may be in a similar situation. Collaborating or discussing assignments with peers can provide fresh perspectives and valuable insights.

Learn to Say No: If possible, avoid taking on additional commitments during peak assignment periods. It's essential to prioritize your academic responsibilities to ensure you meet your deadlines successfully.

Remember, you've got this! Balancing multiple deadlines is a skill that takes practice, and as a final-year student, you're honing valuable time management skills that will benefit you beyond the academic realm.

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton
Hiya 🙂

I have recently read an entertaining book about effective time management. It said there is no such thing as multitasking. One of the tasks will always lose in this case scenario. The solution proposed was to make a list of priorities, in your case, based on the deadlines and focus 100% on each one.

The planning process is critical and necessary here. Note down all deadlines, think about how much time you need for each and plan work on them in advance. Do not forget to take into account breaks to give yourself a moment to rest and recharge your energy.

From my experience, I work well without many breaks, which distracts me and disrupts productivity. If I sit down and work until I finish, it always turns out that it takes less time than expected, and I do not have to waste time motivating myself to get back to work every time (maybe because I know there is a moment of relax waiting after completion 😀).

I hope it was helpful 😉 Feel free to reach out if you have any questions 🙂 You can also chat with me or other students directly through The Ambassador Platform.

Take care,
Julia
Psychology student
De Montfort University
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @Sumiii05

No worries at all! I totally get that. I would suggest trying to set one main goal for the day so that you have an ultimate goal to work towards. For example, say you're essay writing, maybe you could set a goal to read however many sources that day.
This could be the overall goal of the day and this you have to do, but then if you find yourself drifting off task, you can move onto something that requires less brain power. For me, that would be adding any resources to my bibliography as it's a copy and paste job that requires less brain power. Or if you find yourself finishing a task, try and get something else done in your time.

I find when I set loads of tasks for the day and don't tick any off my list I feel defeated. But if you cross off one major job, then you might feel much more productive.

The procrastination thing...that happens a lot!! Don't be too hard on yourself about it, but maybe having some organized plans in advance could be good to get you looking forward to something over than completing work, like meeting some friends to go to the cinema? Or just planning a time to switch off from your work and watch some tv completely interrupted at the end of your day? Maybe even a walk out, wander round some shops, some fresh air? I find if I have something planned, I don't feel like I'm just sat in my room all day thinking of all the fun stuff I could be doing instead of work, as I actually am doing something later on. It also feels really rewarding to do something after you've finished a task.

I hope this helps you out, I'm sure you'll do great!
Emily

PRSOM

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Hi there

I know it is really difficult trying to work on multiple assignments at the same time. Here are some tips that I found useful when doing my assignments:

Check all your deadlines at the start of the term, making a list of all the deadlines in your diary helps you visualise how long you have to work on each piece of coursework.

Start early. Whilst seminar prep can be overwhelming, try to start your assignment early on, this will give you more time to think through the essay. It would also allow you more time to start on the second piece of coursework once the first one is completed.

I know it is not always possible to spend an equal amount of time on every piece of work. I would recommend looking at the module weighting: which module is more important, which coursework takes up a larger percentage of your grade. These will really help you in organising the workload.

I find that it is easy to procrastinate towards the end of the term, especially after getting through all the seminar preparations and other assignments earlier in the term. However, the important thing is that your assignments are the more crucial than seminar preparation as they count towards your grade. Therefore, try to keep motivated, push yourself to complete the last pieces of work to good standards before you allow yourself on a break.

I hope this helps. :smile:
Good luck with your assignments.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Hi there,

I would say try to start things as soon as they are set for you, to make sure that you have enough time for both. Deadlines are really hard to meet especially when you reach the end of the semester and everything is building up. I think it is important to make sure that you have enough time for both even though it can be really hard.

I hope this helps,

Ellen
Y4 Medical Student
University of Sunderland
Hello,

Final year can feel a bit overwhelming. If you have two tasks it can also feel like you are slacking off on one.

What I do is I get an A4 paper and I split it into 4 quadrants with Urgent and important, Important but not urgent, Urgent but not important, and not important or urgent.

I would then allocate the tasks according to their importance and then I would put them on my daily to do list. I prefer to use a paper to do list and actually tick them off to actually feel that I finished. If you have two essays, use two different pen colours to write the tasks for each one and this way you will ensure that you are equally completing tasks for both.

Best of luck,
Haya- MBBS 5

If you feel overwhelmed, don't be afraid to access support.

Hi @Sumiii05 ,

I find it hard juggling multiple deadlines too!

Here are some tips that help me:

1) Write a to-do list at the start of every day for each module that you have for due for. Make sure this is specific and I always find breaking things down into smaller tasks is helpful and more motivating.

2) Do an hour of each subject and don't try and sit doing one thing all day. Plan to swap subjects so it gives you something else to think about during the day and if you are stuck on one subject this can be really helpful.

3) Schedule time to go and do fun things. As long as you have time, make sure you give yourself a break and do something fun too so you aren't just working all day. This can really help with motivation.

4) Schedule time to eat. Make sure you have enough time to eat, otherwise you will be hungry and won't be able to focus!

5) Same for sleeping- make sure you have enough sleep each night, otherwise this will really affect your concentration.

I hope some of this helps and good luck!

Lucy-SHU student ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending