The Student Room Group

Grow Your Grades 2016: Gribby2's Study Diary

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gribby2
Hi. I'm sorry I haven't posted anything in awhile.
I had a Geography test on Friday, and I got the results back today. I, along with three other people, got 24/25, which was the highest anyone got. I was pleased, but it was an annoying mark to lose, as I knew some possible answers, but thought they were wrong, so wrote one thing different.

R.E was fun, as we did very little and listened to S Club 7.

Also, I got my report back today. Some of my predicted grades were wrong, but I don't suppose it really matters. Apparently, if I continue working at the same level, I'll achieve (the equivalent of) six As and six A*s, but I'm not that convinced I'll do very well in my exams.

Yesterday, I had a GCSE Art trip. We went to the Laing and the Baltic. The Laing was interesting and I loved the Leonardo Davinci exhibition. We only stayed in each gallery for thirty minutes, so I didn't get to see everything, but in the main I enjoyed it, though I did not like some of the more modern pieces.

Thre was very little art in the Baltic. It was much better when I went in Year 3, Going in the lift was fun though. I'm usually scared of lifts (I'm more scared of escalators though), but even in Year 3, I loved these ones, as you can see through them and they go really quickly. Somebody was pressing the buttons when we were in the lift, so it kept going up and down and we ended up briefly in the bar (my sister inadvertently went there too when she was on the same trip several years ago).

We had tea, which was alright, but it took a really long time to come and the service was poor, meaning we got home later than we were supposed to.

We played I Spy on the way back (and the way there). The best things I came up with were sun roof and darkness.

How are you? I'm glad the holidays start soon.

Hey! Sorry it's been so long since I've replied! :smile:
What was the course you did online with Oxford University?
Ignore your predicted grades, they aren't a certainty of what you're going to get. Six As and A*s are really good though. And why can't you get them? You're just as capable as anyone else.
Ispy is harder than it's given credit for! :smile:
The Easter holidays are long overdue! Two weeks of freedom!!!
Reply 41
Original post by Ara8311a
Hey! Sorry it's been so long since I've replied! :smile:
What was the course you did online with Oxford University?
Ignore your predicted grades, they aren't a certainty of what you're going to get. Six As and A*s are really good though. And why can't you get them? You're just as capable as anyone else.
Ispy is harder than it's given credit for! :smile:
The Easter holidays are long overdue! Two weeks of freedom!!!

Hello. Don't worry about it. I haven't been on here as much as Inwould have liked either.

It was a slightly strange course I did in Year 7. About thirteen of us in the year did it. We just had to write responses to essay-style questions. To start off with, I probably spent about twenty minutes answering the questions, but by the end of the course I'd become rather bored by it, so just wrote down anything that came to mind. I really have no idea how I managed to get a distinction given how little effort I put in and how awful my answers probably were.

I'm quite pleased with my predicted grades (8-10 A*s and 2-4 As according to what it says on my books/what I've been told), it's just a bit confusing they aren't consistant. To be honest, I think for some of them it's because you can't use /s on reports. I don't really mind either way, I'd just prefer the predicted grades on my report to be the same as the ones on my books, as it would give me a better idea of what level I'm working at.

Thanks. I understand the context of the courses, but I'm worried about exam technique or that I'll be too nervous to concentrate. I get stressed enough by class tests without the added pressure of it actually counting.

I'm so happy it's the holidays. School is really tiring and I get so much homework, but I only have Art and Creative Writing, as well as some other bits and pieces that shouldn't take too long. Also, it'll be fun to have time to do things with friends and family. I hope you have a good holidays.
Original post by Gribby2
Hello. Don't worry about it. I haven't been on here as much as Inwould have liked either.

It was a slightly strange course I did in Year 7. About thirteen of us in the year did it. We just had to write responses to essay-style questions. To start off with, I probably spent about twenty minutes answering the questions, but by the end of the course I'd become rather bored by it, so just wrote down anything that came to mind. I really have no idea how I managed to get a distinction given how little effort I put in and how awful my answers probably were.

I'm quite pleased with my predicted grades (8-10 A*s and 2-4 As according to what it says on my books/what I've been told), it's just a bit confusing they aren't consistant. To be honest, I think for some of them it's because you can't use /s on reports. I don't really mind either way, I'd just prefer the predicted grades on my report to be the same as the ones on my books, as it would give me a better idea of what level I'm working at.

Thanks. I understand the context of the courses, but I'm worried about exam technique or that I'll be too nervous to concentrate. I get stressed enough by class tests without the added pressure of it actually counting.

I'm so happy it's the holidays. School is really tiring and I get so much homework, but I only have Art and Creative Writing, as well as some other bits and pieces that shouldn't take too long. Also, it'll be fun to have time to do things with friends and family. I hope you have a good holidays.

The course sounds cool and congrats for a distinction! I think everyone's secretly worried about the exams themselves and forgetting everything when we get in there. Or at least everyone I've spoken to is. I think we just have to not worry about it, or that's what I'm trying to do... :smile:

Art homework and shouldn't take long? Those are two words that never go together in my school... :biggrin: I hope you have a good holidays too!
Reply 43
The course sounds cool and congrats for a distinction! I think everyone's secretly worried about the exams themselves and forgetting everything when we get in there. Or at least everyone I've spoken to is. I think we just have to not worry about it, or that's what I'm trying to do... :smile:

Art homework and shouldn't take long? Those are two words that never go together in my school... :biggrin: I hope you have a good holidays too!

Thanks. It was alright, but I didn't find it that interesting.

Yes, I suppose everyone does worry about exams. Even if things seem easy in lessons, it must be so much harder to write about them in exams.

The Art homework will probably take a long time. I meant that the other homework shouldn't take too much time. Art homework takes up the majority of my life :tongue:. We're mainly designing our final pieces for culture at the moment, which isn't too bad, but I still need to finish everything in my book.

Thank you. I don't know what I'm doing this holidays (probably not a lot), but I'll try and get most of my homework done today, so I only have Art and Creative Writing to do later on and actually have time to do something that isn't homework.
Original post by Gribby2
Thanks. It was alright, but I didn't find it that interesting.

Yes, I suppose everyone does worry about exams. Even if things seem easy in lessons, it must be so much harder to write about them in exams.

The Art homework will probably take a long time. I meant that the other homework shouldn't take too much time. Art homework takes up the majority of my life :tongue:. We're mainly designing our final pieces for culture at the moment, which isn't too bad, but I still need to finish everything in my book.

Thank you. I don't know what I'm doing this holidays (probably not a lot), but I'll try and get most of my homework done today, so I only have Art and Creative Writing to do later on and actually have time to do something that isn't homework.

Good luck with your art! My friends forever seem to be adding extra things to their books. :smile:
I hope your holiday is productive! (whatever that even means... :wink:)
Reply 45
Good luck with your art! My friends forever seem to be adding extra things to their books. :smile:
I hope your holiday is productive! (whatever that even means... :wink:)

Thanks. :smile: I hope your holiday is productive too. Art does take up rather a lot of time, so I'm not surprised your friends are always working on their books. It is fun though.
Reply 46
Hello. I'm really sorry I haven't written any diary entries for awhile. I just haven't had a lot to report. I've been doing a lot of homework lately, but it's not been particularly exciting. I managed to finish everything but Art and Creative Writing (as well as a very small amount of History). Today, I did a little of my final piece for Art.

My cat brought in a dead hatchling, which was a bit sad. I wish he wouldn't catch things, but it's in his nature and he is a very friendly cat and much loved.

I hope you are all well.
Reply 47
Hello guys. I hope you are all alright. I'm sorry it's been a week since I last posted, but I haven't had a lot to say and have had a lot of homework lately.

On Tuesday I had a Geography trip. We went to Little Beck and gathered data at various points along a river. To start off with, it was raining heavily and the teachers thought we might have to return to school. We had to stay in the mini-bus for about an hour and did not start collecting data until a tad before noon (It took awhile to get there). However, it was moderately enjoyable, though I did get extremely wet (At one point I fell on one knee and at another I inadvertently wades in rather deep to collect some stocks for one of the tasks). I need to write up my introduction.

I got an e-mail yesterday, informing me I had been selected to receive further information about a residentuary course at Newcastle University. I had to apply, so I don't know if I will be accepted, but I hope I will be. My best friend is also going to apply, so if we both get accepted, we'll asked to be roomed near each other.

We have to do a speaking exam in English on Monday. I'm doing mine about unicorns. My English teacher hates us all and is a really harsh marker, so I feel like I'm going to fail. I need to prepare over the weekend.

My teacher didn't show up to Creative Writing, so I went home. It's a tad irritating, as we had never been told it wasn't on, but I wanted to go home anyway, as I've had a busy week.
Reply 48
Hya. I hope you are all alright. We've started our Geography coursework and are about to start our History.

School has been alright, though people have been a bit annoying recently. I rescued some worms from drowning awhile ago, and for some reason about fifty or so people came to watch. They were rather unpleasant about the whole affair.

We've had a lot of assessments recently. I had R.E and History on Tuesday, Physics yesterday, and an English Speaking Exam today. I got my History results back today and got 80%, which I think was an A*. I hope I did alright in my English. We didn't find out what we got, but some classes did.

I didn't go to Creative Writing yesterday, as I felt ill, but I need to do some people of my coursework.

I'm glad it's the weekend tomorrow, as I'm really tired.
Reply 49
Hi. I've mainly been doing Creative Writing coursework today, but I also watched 'Merry Christmas, Mr Lawrence'. It was amazing, if rather depressing. I really like David Bowie (R.I.P) and I managed to find the film online, so I decided it would be a good idea to watch it, and I loved it. However, I am now slightly sad, as it reminded me that David Bowie is dead. :frown:
Reply 50
Hi, how are you? I hope you are all alright. I'm so sorry I haven't posted in over a week. I've been really busy with my Creative Writing coursework, which is due in soon.

On Monday we had a Student Leader morning, which was meant to encourage us to become student leaders next year. It was alright, but my group thought my ideas were somewhat over ambitious, considering we were supposed to be designing activities for Y4s, and hence ignored me. I think Y4s are a lot more intelligent than they are given credit for, and I remember being bored with the work we were given when I was in Y4.

I got my English Speaking Test results back this week. I got a distinction, which was the highest you could could get, so I was fairly pleased about that.

I only got 17/20 on my R.E test, which is an A. I was a tad annoyed by this, as it's the worst mark I've ever had on R.E. Oh well, there is still plenty of time to improve I suppose. We've also started watching 'My Sister's Keeper' in R.E, which is not the jolliest of films.

Over this weekend, I have been doing a lot of homework. I wanted to visit my grandmother, who unfortunately now lives in a care home, but I have had a cold since Friday (when my dad had to come in to school to bring me some paracetamol), so my mum said it would be a bad idea for me to visit her, since I might make her ill.

Today, I watched 'Postman Pat: The Movie', as it was on the tele, and I wanted something easy to watch, so I could do some Creative Writing at the same time. I didn't make very sense (why would the post office have helicopters?), but it was quite funny. I loved how when the weird evil robot Pat broke, it sang Daisy Bell (I haven't actually seen 2001: A Space Odyssey, but I understood the reference).

I hope you guys have enjoyed the bank holiday. :smile:
Reply 51
I'm so sorry I haven't written in ages, but I've had so much homework recently, especially with Creative Writing (I've finally handed in my coursework).

We're now watching 'The Island' in R.E, as opposed to 'My Sister's Keeper' (we switched part way through films).

School is rather boring, and I abhor my English teacher- her marking is awful and she gives us tonnes of homework. Other than that, things are okay.

I have been watching the F1 (my dad is obsessed with it). I don't really like Max Verstappen- I don't know why, but I find him annoying. The crash between the Mercedes was dramatic, and I find it boring when Rosberg and Hamilton always win, so I was pleased about that. I felt a bit sorry for Riciardo.
Hey! I love my sister's keeper although in RE it wouldn't be so much fun... The number of times I've cried at both the book and film are too many to count...

Don't worry about your English teacher's marking. It just means that you'll get more marks than you're used to in the actual exam! :smile:

Ignore your group about year 4s. My little brother is in year 4 and he's never challenged. I'm sure if you become a student leader, you'll be really good at it. :smile:
Reply 53
Hey! I love my sister's keeper although in RE it wouldn't be so much fun... The number of times I've cried at both the book and film are too many to count...

Don't worry about your English teacher's marking. It just means that you'll get more marks than you're used to in the actual exam! :smile:

Ignore your group about year 4s. My little brother is in year 4 and he's never challenged. I'm sure if you become a student leader, you'll be really good at it. :smile:

It was quite good the part we saw and I'm mildly annoyed we stopped watching it part way through (I think we are finishing it when we've finished this year's work), but it is a tad depressing.

Thanks. I hope you're right. She barely leaves any feedback and then complains when we don't improve next time. I just got an assessment back, and she'd written 'R' on it with no explanation of what it meant. I had to wait with my hand up for twenty minutes before she noticed and explained it. Would it really be much more effort to just write the word?

Thank you. :smile:
Original post by Gribby2
It was quite good the part we saw and I'm mildly annoyed we stopped watching it part way through (I think we are finishing it when we've finished this year's work), but it is a tad depressing.

Thanks. I hope you're right. She barely leaves any feedback and then complains when we don't improve next time. I just got an assessment back, and she'd written 'R' on it with no explanation of what it meant. I had to wait with my hand up for twenty minutes before she noticed and explained it. Would it really be much more effort to just write the word?

Thank you. :smile:

Don't worry! My English teacher is the same. Nothing but 'see me' at the end of every piece I do. I know it's hard to understand but they have a lot of students and it must be repetitive telling them the same things. :smile:

I love the book of my sister's keeper, especially since the characters remind me of my sister and I (my sister is called Anna :smile: )... :P If you have the time I would definitely recommend trying to finish the film or read the book. I love the story so much, even though it is sad...
Reply 55
Don't worry! My English teacher is the same. Nothing but 'see me' at the end of every piece I do. I know it's hard to understand but they have a lot of students and it must be repetitive telling them the same things. :smile:

I love the book of my sister's keeper, especially since the characters remind me of my sister and I (my sister is called Anna :smile: )... :P If you have the time I would definitely recommend trying to finish the film or read the book. I love the story so much, even though it is sad...

Sorry it's taken me awhile to reply.

Thank you. That's reassuring to know. It must just be an English teacher thing. I appreciate she has quite a few students, but I think she has only one Year 10 class, ands takes her about three weeks to mark any tests we do. She make us write PE paragraphs every lesson.

Thanks for the recommendation. It was quite good what we watched. I think we're meant to finish it at the end of the year. If I see a copy of the book, I might buy it.

How are you? :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Gribby2
Sorry it's taken me awhile to reply.

Thank you. That's reassuring to know. It must just be an English teacher thing. I appreciate she has quite a few students, but I think she has only one Year 10 class, ands takes her about three weeks to mark any tests we do. She make us write PE paragraphs every lesson.

Thanks for the recommendation. It was quite good what we watched. I think we're meant to finish it at the end of the year. If I see a copy of the book, I might buy it.

How are you? :smile:

I have to admit that I don't have my own copy. If I bought every book I read, I would be bankrupt... I wouldn't worry about your English teacher. Next year you'll be her priority. :smile:

I'm good. Trying not to think about exams too much and focus on revision... Completely not procrastinating... :smile:
How are you?
Reply 58
How are you?

I'm alright, thanks. :smile:

I have to admit that I don't have my own copy. If I bought every book I read, I would be bankrupt... I wouldn't worry about your English teacher. Next year you'll be her priority. :smile:

I'm good. Trying not to think about exams too much and focus on revision... Completely not procrastinating... :smile:

Yes, it can be better just to borrow them from people/take them from the library. Most of the books I read cost 1p of eBay/Amazon. :smile:

Good luck with your exams. :smile:
Original post by Gribby2
I'm alright, thanks. :smile:

Yes, it can be better just to borrow them from people/take them from the library. Most of the books I read cost 1p of eBay/Amazon. :smile:

Good luck with your exams. :smile:

Thank you! Good luck with your school work!
I sometimes buy books off EBay or a Amazon but then I have to pay for postage so I usually just go to the library. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending